The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/pdfs/Cough_Up_-_March__10.pdf

Net loss to the UK of £3bn per annum from smoking...

It would probably help if you read your own link.

however, we calculate that the costs

to society from smoking are much greater at £13.74 billion.

Not really supporting this statement (the one I said was wrong)

I can assure you the national heath spends more on treating long term smoking related illness then they get in tax from fags

The cost to society is obviously not just the cost of the NHS. It includes a notional figure for production lost to cigarette breaks and years of life lost to smoking related disease.

im must say iv just come back from skeggy..and whent in the local pubs,my hubby paid an average of £1.40-£1.80 for stones,and in our wmc club its £2.45 per pint...the pubs at skeggy most are seasonal so they must make money to keep em going..around sheffield they just rob us blind out for the kill

Why not become a landlord then if it's such easy money. You could charge £2/pint and be filled with customers and still quids in.

Seems to be pretty clear cut that tax revenue is higher than the cost.

Clearly an untrue statement.

The cost to society is obviously not just the cost of the NHS. It includes a notional figure for production lost to cigarette breaks and years of life lost to smoking related disease.

where i work you are allowed a break like everyother employee, if you choose to smoke in that break it is up to you. I have friends work for the NHS and University and the same applies to them. I honestly don't know anyone who has specific cigarette breaks, which their non-smoking colleague are not allowed to have

Maybe it's just that dying younger has a notional cost to society then. The 13 billion figure isn't mine, and it's also not the cost to the NHS, so they must have made it up somehow.

Clearly an untrue statement.

Maybe you can explain how £2.5 billion is not less than £10 billion then?

I'll look forwards to this :rolleyes:

The money that the NHS gets whether it comes from fags or any thing else is wasted on cover the cost of treating self inflicted smoking related illness,

I don't think it will be long before they ban smoking outside as well, hopefully.

Like I said in a previous post, they already have where I live. UK is playing catch up.

Like I said in a previous post, they already have where I live. UK is playing catch up.

I would not want to eat outside there there are grizzly bears everywhere:D

The money that the NHS gets whether it comes from fags or any thing else is wasted on cover the cost of treating self inflicted smoking related illness,

That doesn't alter the fact that the government takes more in tax on smoking than it spends on healthcare due to smoking.

Many smokers work and pay into the system like myself. Who are you to say who can get treated or not, God

Most injuries are self inflicted at the end of the day. From sports, from accidents, from bad decisions...

Illness is less often self inflicted, but smoking is comparable to playing football in that you're likely to need hospital treatment at some time.