The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

I became a complete nutter most of the time, the slightest thing and i kicked off, don't think i've been able to salvage my reputation, i'm not very well liked by my partners work mates and i hate it.

I ended up in A&E on Saturday and visited my doctor today. She has given me patches instead. I have aslo apologised to my ex by email. Thats all I can do now.

Greetings all.

Began taking Champix March 6th. By the end of the two week cycle I was only interested in a puff or two once a day. On day two of the second cycle I stopped all-together. Finally off the weed after a quarter century.

Started getting constant headaches, nausea and blurry vision. I decided to cut down my dosage to 1 tablet daily for the remainder of the pack. By Friday, feeling really nauseous, thinking I'd have the weekend to detox I stopped taking them all-together (three days left). When I went to work on Monday I thought everything was going to be great.:cool:

There was an upset in the office and I completely lost it.:rant: I had to leave before some one got hurt. Once home I felt better but when I returned to work the next day and my boss called me into the office to discuss the previous days events I went off the deep end again... felt like driving my car off into the ocean on the way home.:help:

That night when I tried to talk to my wife about everything that was happening ( me not being at work ect.) I went into a blind rage and started shrieking like an animal.:shakes:

Decided the best course of action was to go back to taking the pills until I could see my doctor to find an alternative medication for everyone's well-being. Hope I still have a job.:?

I can't be sure but I think the nicotine we've been consuming all our lives had radically altered our brains chemistry. Without it... I don't know. I can only hope things get better.:sad:

I've read a post which talks to the possibility of weening down the dose gently. Splitting the pills in half and so on.

Perhaps the doctor can help.:idea:

Glen, its a 12 week course, not two. Yes when I got to week 10, I cut down to one a day.

Now 5 months smoke free, but still not always easy.

Hey all. I picked up my champix px today, after failing with patches and inhalter and feel quite positive UNTILL a work mate told me this evening that her friend had hallucinations and extreme suicidal thoughts whilst taking the drug!! ARGH my last hope is dashed. I havn't read all the post's, as there are sooo many, but has anyone had such extreme side effects whils taking champix????

Yes. Lady B. Please read some of my former posts. My husband has been having psychotic episodes for 4 months now. Thankfully, they are getting less violent and severe and I dont fear for his and my safety any more.

Today the Sun newspaper has again highlighted the indiscriminate prescribing of Champix and clearly states "Experts say it appears most risky for people with underlying mental health problems" and there is a huge article on page 23 about the Dad who killed his wife and children when taking the drug and drinking alcohol.... which is exactly what my husband did. My hubby also has mental health problems and has been on/off anti depressants for 5 years. He was actually taking anti depressants when the practice nurse prescribed his Champix FFS!

Please be aware of any changes in your feelings, behaviour and thinking.

Good luck

Yes. Lady B. Please read some of my former posts. My husband has been having psychotic episodes for 4 months now. Thankfully, they are getting less violent and severe and I dont fear for his and my safety any more.

Today the Sun newspaper has again highlighted the indiscriminate prescribing of Champix and clearly states "Experts say it appears most risky for people with underlying mental health problems" and there is a huge article on page 23 about the Dad who killed his wife and children when taking the drug and drinking alcohol.... which is exactly what my husband did. My hubby also has mental health problems and has been on/off anti depressants for 5 years. He was actually taking anti depressants when the practice nurse prescribed his Champix FFS!

Please be aware of any changes in your feelings, behaviour and thinking.

Good luck

Look pickchau, I am very sorry about what happened to your husband,BUT champix has helped a lot of people to give up the weed,(myself included, 5 months now) please , I feel that your inability to read the leaflet that comes with the pills, stating that if you are a manic depressive etc.... DON'T TAKE THEM, let the norm out there take them and try them for themselves (without the aid of washing them down with alcohol). I really feel that your negativity is ruining peoples chances of giving up the weed and is ruining this site(if they were that dangerous they would not be prescribed by EXPERTS on the national health). Once again i am really sorry for you and your husband and i hope things return/get better very soon(change your practice/let your doctor know what the nurse did, or didn't do as the case may be). Now give everyone else a chance.O and don't trust everything that you read in the sun (look who owns it?)

This site helped me to quit, and I would like to help people who contribute to this site to quite, with encouragement and sharing how to overcome cravings etc.... LONG LIVE CHAMPIX thankyou, end of rant.:rolleyes:

Here Here sittingbull!!!

This forum has turned into a negative doom and gloom in the last week or so! I, unlike your good self, don't feel sorry for these people. This forum has been an absolute god send to me so I can't imagine the negative effect its having on any newbies out there at the moment!

This drug has been an amazing help to a lot more people than your minority, please go and start your own forum elsewhere!!!

When I quit smoking, I didn't bother with any meds. I just recorded how many cigs I had each day and reduced the number by one - and sometimes half a cig. On occasion, I smoked the same amount of cigs I did the previous day. Within 3 wks, I'd stopped smoking.

Its been 7 months for me since i quit with Champix, although i was lucky enough to have hypnotherapy at the same time. Having heard some not so good reports on these tablets, I read everything i could find before i made the decision to take Champix and then discussed any worries i had with my doctor.

I would advise everyone to do the same thing before they start on these pills.

I was lucky and only really had one bad side effect and that was constipation!!!

For me the Champix made the cigaretts taste nasty and the hypnotherapy helped with the habit. I know i will never go back.:)

Good luck to everyone that is trying to quit, there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Hurrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy, three positive posts in a row. Long live positiveness.

Here Here sittingbull!!!

This forum has turned into a negative doom and gloom in the last week or so!

I agree with you. This is not good for the newbies trying to quit.

Originally Posted by pickchau

I myself gave up in October 2009 with champix and the help of this forum and I am still smoke free. Giving up smoking itself can make you feel very depressed and even dare I say it suicidal. You cannot blame the champix as there have been so many people on here that have given up by taking it. Do you seriously want to die from a smoking related illness?

I certainly don't.

Good luck everyone just remember you can do it.

Becky

Edited by esme
quote tags

Well I daren't post today - I don't want to be another negative post :cry:

TUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to vent somewhere lol

Ok so it's been over a week, I think, since I lasted posted. Head is still in the shed - not sure if it's the pills, constant dreams, lack of sleep or the birds (i'll explain about the birds another time) but I am generally beginning to feel like poo. :gag:

I have now cut my pill intake down - nurses orders as she will not be able to prescribe me after my 12 week course, so i'm currently taking half in the morning and the other half in the evening. HOWEVER!!!!!!!! ALERT TIME here me thinks. Over the past week or so I have gradually been showing signs of SERIOUSLY WANTING TO DO SOME DAMAGE :confused: I don't want to go into all the details, but suffice to say I shall be mentioning this to my nurse tomorrow. The worst part though, for me, is that I have also wanted to smoke, at times, just as badly as those first few weeks? I seriously can not go through all this again - so if anybody else has had any similar experiences????? :help: I would love to hear from you as well as any possible solutions - DESPERATION doesn't even begin to cover it at the moment, thanks in advance :)

Holy Moley lol

anyway on a more positive note, I hope everyone else is doing great.

Well done DJ by the way, you have made it to the 12 week mark - congrats!

O/S: Hope everything is cool your end?

Raxs: Where have you gone? You popped on to say hello etc you didn't have time blah blah but you had still quit then NOTHING since :huh: Come speak to us - shareeeeeeeeee lol

Oh yeah forgot to say I think I have put about twenty stone on too lol :hihi: slight exaggeration there I know, but bloody feels like it anyway :gag:

Speak soon

Tashant x

Ps Gemini, you usually have some words of wisdom, come talk to me - No pressure or anything lol

Edited by Tashant32

Firstly, I'm soooo glad i'm not the only person getting pee'd off with the demics on here trying to depress us all!!!!

Hey tash!!! I've had a funny old weekend!!! I was trying to wean myself off the tabs by taking one a day for an extra week, well, I lasted all of 2 days before I forgot to take my tablet so I sacked it altogether!!! A couple of days after this, I have just enjoyed the best 2 nights sleep i've had in 13 weeks!!! Still some dodgy dreams in there but i've slept well and woke up early feeling refreshed!!! Could be something to do with the fab weather we've had but I think the light has appeared at the end of the tunnell. I've had a few cravings too, but they've been more than managable! Got a lung full of someones fag outside McDonalds today, It nearly put me off my burger!!!

Keep going hun!!! Its gonna get better!!!

xgx