The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Have used Champix and it does work - side effects I found were tiredness and feeling spaced out. My advice if taking and stopping smoking is to take a week off work, stay in bed as much as poss away from any stress. This gives you time to get over the nicotine withdrawal

Hello all past & present contributors, may I introduce myself..:)

I had my last smoke on 21st January 2010 and have been following the forum in the background for the last 10 weeks and indeed have read it from first to last page as my daily dose of anti-smoking sense and assurance that Champix is the helpful friend I now know it to be..

I have been a smoker since the age of 17 to now at 56 years of age with just two proper breaks totaling around 3 years in all that time. One back when I was just 22yrs old and then around 10 years ago when I gave up for a year but finally succumbed.

Champix has helped me immensely and today I have not smoked for 10 weeks and 2 days – indeed I have just started to wean myself off Champix using 50mg tabs from a starter pack in reverse from today. That’s phasing down from 100g twice a day to zero tabs in the week.

Whilst taking champix/quitting smoking I’ve had most of the side effects experienced by others (though not mouth ulcers!) and some not even published but I don’t blame champix for all of them. Nicotine withdrawl itself has some extreme effects without champix., I haven’t forgotten from when I gave up ten years back.

I will try to detail my expiriences coming off Champix after eleven weeks of the drug as I could find little on the forum to help me know just what to expect in this phase..

So far it has worked miracles for me as without it even four hours without nicotine during the day was impossible.

Wow!! Good for you. Ten weeks is such a long time.:) I really do want to hear everything regarding you coming off.

Hi all

Will be 3 weeks smoke free on Monday. Everything going well, still sleeping like an OAP! This afternoon, started to feel really sorry for myself, not being able to have a smoke on the Easter weekend. Last time I quit smoking (using patches) I got to week 3 and started smoking again (same thing, felt sorry for myself like I was losing out on something) What is it with me and getting to week 3? Is it my stumbling block that will balance me one way or the other?

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Also, my doc prescribed a 10 week course for me and when I collected the final 6 week pack, they are all blue tabs. Chemist said there was no step down in the plan??? Eclipse quotes being on white tabs on the last few weeks of his/her prescription. Any ideas or is my chemist wrong?

Thanks all

I was at three weeks last Thursday. You can do it. Just go a few days past the three weeks and then it will be over. I will not have the step down either. I am going to wean myself off. I guess everyones doctor is different.

Hello fellow Champix poppers. I finally started taking my pills yesterday with no ill effect. For those of you who have read back you will see that I stopped for 8 months last year using Champix and then started again at the end of last year. Ginvodka, I know how you feel, I constantly felt sorry for myself, especially at the weekends and always felt like I missed smoking. But now I am totally hooked again I realise I wasn't missing anything at all and really want to stop again. As for the pills you normally cut down on the white pills, some doctors give you the first pack to take in reverse if you know what I mean. I also had blue ones at the end and if you can't change them the only thing you can do is try and bite it in half! Keep at it though, if you get over this 3 week stage it should get easier and as we both know you aren't missing anything! Good luck. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I am missing nothing by not smoking, but the nicotine devil is very persuasive. Today, I am much better, not feeling sorry for myself. Long may this last.

I will just wean myself off the final week of tablets when I get to the 10 week mark.

Happy Easter to one and all.:)

Hi all

Will be 3 weeks smoke free on Monday. Everything going well, still sleeping like an OAP! This afternoon, started to feel really sorry for myself, not being able to have a smoke on the Easter weekend. Last time I quit smoking (using patches) I got to week 3 and started smoking again (same thing, felt sorry for myself like I was losing out on something) What is it with me and getting to week 3? Is it my stumbling block that will balance me one way or the other?

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Also, my doc prescribed a 10 week course for me and when I collected the final 6 week pack, they are all blue tabs. Chemist said there was no step down in the plan??? Eclipse quotes being on white tabs on the last few weeks of his/her prescription. Any ideas or is my chemist wrong?

Thanks all

Hi, Three weeks has to be the worst period now past you. Well done its tough even with champix..

I slept around 4hours during the day extra at the beginning, just lifeless and exhausted.

It does get better honest but not perfect. I tend to find that in a 14 day period (1champix pack/between visits to Docs) I get 10 goodish days and around four bad ones for no reason. Just when I think its all ok I get hit by the down days. Overall it does improve but you need to accept there can be some backward steps on the journey forwards.

Now after 10 weeks and 5 days without a smoke I can see how far I've actually come. Just take one day at a time, don't smoke and you will get there.

Now that I am reducing my champix dose I can remember again some of the side effects as for me they have re-appeared during the last few days as I cut my dosage. More on that another time as I thought it was going to be easier..

Where is Squirrel and Jabber? I haven't seen them in a while.

Where is Squirrel and Jabber? I haven't seen them in a while.

I`m still sniffin` about but I havent seen the squirrel for ages now!

I`m assuming that its the dreaded Champix Lethargy thats keeping him from posting and if thats the case then he`ll be back soon. Mercifully it doesnt last too long.

hey guys what are the side affects

Hi, Just do a google search there are many strong views on champix side effects out there. Avoid most USA comments as seem unnecessarily negative!

Try Pfizer web site for 'instruction manual'

I can't post URL's as I was intending as I'm a newbie!

Your Doctor won't prescibe anyway if they believe its not suitable for individual health/circumstaces.

Hi ginvodka, sorry not been on all weekend.

I asked my doctor for the white tabs at the end of the original blue course, and he prescribed enough for 2 a day for 3 months! I have loads left over, 2 full bottles of 56 and some odd ones. He said he would rather me be on the white ones a bit longer, than go back to smoking again. I had one white one last Wednesday, and that was the first one since the previous Saturday. I dont think I will be needing them anymore, but its nice to know they are there if I do.

I am now over 3 months smoke free and loving it. Still have the odd moment when I "forget" I don't smoke any more, but they are getting less and less now.

Well done to Woodsmoke, Karen, gin, Gemini and all the others, keep at it x x

I'm suprised your Doctor gave you so many of the 50g tablets. No wonder NHS claims to be underfunded!!

I can't imagine you will need them, three months is a fair time to be off smokes..

I am going down the starter pack in reverse route but have been a bit suprised at re-appearance of some side effects, I was hoping I was well past all that. Nobody else seems to have mentioned any effects much at the end of the course but champix itself seems to be different for everyone.

I can cope with it after nearly 11 weeks of these tablets but have just two more days/tablets then thats it - all finished.

Just hoping it gets better again then, want to get back to normal self at some point soon.

But I haven't smoked and that is my only important objective for today!