The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Tasgenta and thebigfish, keep strong, take a deep breath. It is the power of your mind that is the key to success, the cravings pass quickly but the benefits will last a life time.

TBF there are smoke lines that you can ring i believe the NHS one is 0800 1690169

Thanks for that, it's been 85 hours now. In all truth, since last night things have changed... Cravings are very few and far between, they don't last as long. Something is changing, I caught a "wiff" of smoke last night and felt quite ill. I feel as if I am not having cravings this morning and I also feel full of energy. I am going out for the day today so this will show me if things have changed with my body.

As far as the NHS... I called them and found that very few advisers can comment on Champix treatment and when you get to a person who can comment, try asking them if they had ever smoked.... it's all a con guys. They are full of people who are 20 years old and never smoked, they are given a sheet of paper and told what to say.... I had been smmoking 40 a day for longer than most of them have been alive... how can they know how I feel.....I found this forum a 100 times better because it's full of people like us..

I feel as if I want to go onto TV and tell everyone what has happened to me whilst I have quit... I feel so damn good, and that alone should be enough to stop people smoking...... Today will tell, a stressy day at the market....hmmmmm Chesterfield, here we come..... More to follow....:hihi:

Well I did go all day yesterday not having a smoke and going to do it again today. No its not easy thats for sure. I think Im the odd person out here location wise, Im in Ontario Canada. We may have a support line here but I'm not sure to be honest and I don't think I would call either. Im like thebigfish I find others who have done it and with cravings are more of a help to me. My hubby quit years ago, just left his cigs at home and never touched one again. He never smoked as much as I do but still, he didn't have any real problems quitting. Yes hes a great support for me but I don't think he understands. I do appreciate all the support you all give and reading through the older posts are great as well. Thank you :)

Im not sure if we can mention other websites here but if anyone wants to message me I do have a FaceBook account that I use just for playing games and I started a blog of sorts on it for smoking. I can send you the link, even if its to yell and scream, I can take it*L* I know how it feels.

Well done you Tasgenta :clap: clap:

I'ts not easy but it is a flippin' site easier with the tablets than without :)

You done the first full 24 hours now and just take it a day at a time.

There's nothing wrong with having cravings and when you get past them you're allowed to feel smug with yourself.

Go girlie!!!

TBF - I hope your day out went without a hitch. Let's have an update (good or bad but I'm sure it will be good!) when you get back

I can't understand what has happened to me... from smoking 40 hand rolled ciggys a day to nothing. Day 11 of Champix and my 4th day of no smoking... I just don't want one. I had a craving but it lasted only a min or so.. Even people smoking around me does not bother me. I think the thing that shows me not to is the fact that I have so much energy. I don't cough, hell, if this is how I feel after a few days..... how am I going to feel in 4 weeks and beyond...??

Every day I feel more and more happy with myself, Tas, use that to keep the smoke away, I promise you it does work... go walking, take some air and feel the energy.... I feel fantastic.... I am going to hug my nurse next week...lol

Lyn, Fantastic thank you, how are you doing??

Tas.... come on, we are all waiting to hear your thoughts.... we know you can do it, just talk to us.

C

Edited by thebigfish

I am today on day 100 off the cigs without a single puff. Its not been plain sailing by any means but i feel really chuffed i have got this far. The champix has been great for me but not a miracle cure like its been for others, i still like the smell of others smoke and i still think of cigs a lot of the time.its my brain and will power that keeps me off them but on the bright side i feel so much better now i've stopped for so long.

I have 2 lonely looking pills left in their packet which i will take over the next 2 days then i will be finished with them.that empty packet i will keep to remind me how great they have been for me and to savour. No other remedy has worked for me, champix truly is great

I am today on day 100 off the cigs without a single puff. Its not been plain sailing by any means but i feel really chuffed i have got this far. The champix has been great for me but not a miracle cure like its been for others, i still like the smell of others smoke and i still think of cigs a lot of the time.its my brain and will power that keeps me off them but on the bright side i feel so much better now i've stopped for so long.

I have 2 lonely looking pills left in their packet which i will take over the next 2 days then i will be finished with them.that empty packet i will keep to remind me how great they have been for me and to savour. No other remedy has worked for me, champix truly is great

BRILLIANT!

Thats the stuff I like to read!

Hi everyone...my first post here, i've really enjoyed reading through this thread so i thought I'd share my story for what its worth.

I'm male, 36 years old, wife & 2 young kids. Smoked 20-30 a day for the last 20 odd years (Marlboro Reds then rolling baccy for the last 7 years) I managed to "stop"a few months back for 3 weeks by using an electronic cigarette. This worked a treat and i had a brief taste of the health benefits but of course these e-cigs do not stop the nicotine addiction. Once my refills ran out and the supplies didn't turn up i was back on the fags.

I was prescribed Champix and today is my third day of taking them (0.5mg)

I must say so far I'm very impressed. I felt quite sick for a while this morning but it soon passed. I've been feeling a little spaced out and have snapped at the wife a few times (more than usual lol!) As they day has progressed i've certainly felt less inclined to want a fag. Its now bedtime and i've smoked 12 cigs in total today, more out of habit than craving. This is a 50% reduction on my usual intake. Its an uncanny experience. Fags taste like sh*te and my whole attitude to smoking is taking a dramatic (& unexpected) u-turn. Just a few days ago i was a dyed in the wool, hardened & heavy smoker. Now i cant wait for my quit date. I just hope i can maintain this momentum.

Will try and keep you all posted :D

Hi everyone...my first post here, i've really enjoyed reading through this thread so i thought I'd share my story for what its worth.

I'm male, 36 years old, wife & 2 young kids. Smoked 20-30 a day for the last 20 odd years (Marlboro Reds then rolling baccy for the last 7 years) I managed to "stop"a few months back for 3 weeks by using an electronic cigarette. This worked a treat and i had a brief taste of the health benefits but of course these e-cigs do not stop the nicotine addiction. Once my refills ran out and the supplies didn't turn up i was back on the fags.

I was prescribed Champix and today is my third day of taking them (0.5mg)

I must say so far I'm very impressed. I felt quite sick for a while this morning but it soon passed. I've been feeling a little spaced out and have snapped at the wife a few times (more than usual lol!) As they day has progressed i've certainly felt less inclined to want a fag. Its now bedtime and i've smoked 12 cigs in total today, more out of habit than craving. This is a 50% reduction on my usual intake. Its an uncanny experience. Fags taste like sh*te and my whole attitude to smoking is taking a dramatic (& unexpected) u-turn. Just a few days ago i was a dyed in the wool, hardened & heavy smoker. Now i cant wait for my quit date. I just hope i can maintain this momentum.

Will try and keep you all posted :D

Well done. I find it very difficult to sit near a smoker now. The smell of smoke just doesn't go away. It seems to stick to the lining of my nose and i have to change my clothes as soon as possible.I thought i would be an understanding ex-smoker, but i'm not. Truth is its a smelly killer!!

Keep up the good work all you Champixers.:thumbsup:

Well done. I find it very difficult to sit near a smoker now. The smell of smoke just doesn't go away. It seems to stick to the lining of my nose and i have to change my clothes as soon as possible.I thought i would be an understanding ex-smoker, but i'm not. Truth is its a smelly killer!!

Keep up the good work all you Champixers.:thumbsup:

I promised myself that once I stopped, I`d be kind to smokers and not turn into one of those rabid anti smokers that I hated so much.... It isnt easy though, is it? I found that after just a few weeks I was spitting venom at anyone who even faintly stank of fag smoke, and when people actually had the AUDACITY to smoke within a mile of me.... DAMN I used to go ballistic! :D

Makes me realise how awful it must have been for my son when i used to kiss him goodnight, stinking of fags, and.. er.. red wine.

I'm on day 10 of Champix and my second day of non smoking. Still having the odd crave but I keep reminding myself what the last few fags were like on Saturday. They made me feel really sick and gave me a banging headache.

When I started taking the 0.5 pill a week ago last saturday, within half an hour I had a fag and thought it was less enjoyable than normal. Perhaps though I wanted it to be. As last week went on I found myself smoking less and less. Sometimes forgetting to go for a fag when I normally would have.

I had planned to carry on smoking until day 14! however on saturday just gone I was really having to force them down. Then yesterday morning I woke up and didn't want a fag. I experimented to see how long I could go before I gave in to temptation and didn't have on at all. Today I'm back at work and in my normal routine when previously I would have a fag when I get up, one on the walk to the tram, one getting off the tram etc etc so its been a bit odd and I've had some cravings.

Not going to give in though. Its definitely easier with the champix I think that with previous giving up attempts.