The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Had a very stressful day today and I thought of cigs but it was more well a cig wouldnt help mmmmmmmmmm nice chocy bickies would though. I have gained 5lb in 4 weeks I will look like a weeble soon :gag:

Found I can be in a good mood then snap for no real reason which is so not like me, but talking to people who have quit other ways it seems to be the norm for the first 3 months, so I know it isnt the Champix.

Hope everyone is ok X

Maybe you're on the wrong forum.

Where do you live again? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Hi All,Finally got my long awaited appointment with the clinic tonight,so was sitting all geared up and ready to get these magical pills,Nurse agreed to give me Champix but now I've got to wait 48 hours for the prescription UGGGGHHHHH!!!! the nurse told me not to stop smoking till I've had next weeks appointment so I'm hoping she didn't mean not to start the tablets cos I'm desperate to start them this weekend so have left a message at the clinic to double check,You have ALL done so well that I can't wait to join you(never thought I would ever say that)!!

So Hopefully will join you all at the weekend,until then keep up the good work you are all a great inspiration to me so big THANKYOU!!

Hello. I'm new. My quit day is tomorrow and I was wondering...do I quit tonight? i.e. have my last cigarette this evening or do I quit tomorrow at some point, please? I'm on day 11 of Champix. Had a bit of a weird morning - felt very jittery, although not suicidal, more homicidal! I went swimming, felt better, still craved a cigarette, still had one, didn't do anything for me.

Does anyone else keep getting half way down one and thinking, 'what am I doing' then chucking it, then doing the whole thing again a few hours later and kicking yourself for not remembering that the fag was doing nothing for you? I've had that for about four days now. Is it normal?

I know there are a few questions in there and I greatly appreciate any help. Please and thank you xx

Many thanks.

Hi Lynsey,

Have your last smoke tonight before bed. When you get up tomorrow you just don't smoke. And keep reminding yourself that half way through a smoke you didn't enjoy it. I also couldn't enjoy a smoke about 4 days after I started Champix and stopped smoking after day 7. I have now been smoke-free for over 8 weeks. Good luck! You still need some willpower but the Champix does take the edge off.

Hope to hear from you!

Alex

PS I feel like I havent smoked for a lifetime but the reality is it has only been since the 30/04.Did anyone else feel like this?:confused:

Yup! I kept saying to anyone who would listen that I couldn't believe that I ever smoked! Just amazing!

Hi All,Finally got my long awaited appointment with the clinic tonight,so was sitting all geared up and ready to get these magical pills,Nurse agreed to give me Champix but now I've got to wait 48 hours for the prescription UGGGGHHHHH!!!! the nurse told me not to stop smoking till I've had next weeks appointment so I'm hoping she didn't mean not to start the tablets cos I'm desperate to start them this weekend so have left a message at the clinic to double check,You have ALL done so well that I can't wait to join you(never thought I would ever say that)!!

So Hopefully will join you all at the weekend,until then keep up the good work you are all a great inspiration to me so big THANKYOU!!

Three cheers for you, Amanda! :banana::banana::banana: Keep us al posted!!

hey

im on my 5th day of not smoking, but have found today a bit harder than previous days and have been having more urges to smoke, (the fact i have an exam in 2 days probably doesnt help) but was wandering if anyone else had found this and if so if its just one of days like this u have?

thanx

Bexc,

Now that all that nicotine is out of your system you are having mind cravings. And those are cravings of the worst kind. We convince ourselves that we are in need of a smoke because we are stressed, tired, busy, bored, fat, thin, happy, sad...whatever! I hate those mind cravings! I didn't really get them with Champix but I would suggest that everytime you "think" about smoking go so something else. Make a coffee or tea. Sign in here and read. Put on a load of laundry. ANYTHING! Within seconds the "craving" is gone and you are still smokefree. I have to tell you that after 8 weeks I am not thinking of smoking anymore like before. I'd say in the last 7 days I have only "thought" about smoking once and it was really just a situational thing. I was some place where I would normally have had a smoke. You will NOT spend the rest of your life convincing yourself not to smoke. Honest! Hang in there and good luck on the exams.

Alex

Hi all, three weeks off the DW on Sunday for me and it's getting a wee bit easier, even though I've stopped taking the Champix. Even the urge for the after-dinner fag has subsided! :)

Had a very stressful day today and I thought of cigs but it was more well a cig wouldnt help mmmmmmmmmm nice chocy bickies would though. I have gained 5lb in 4 weeks I will look like a weeble soon :gag:

Hi Mel, I asked my GP about this as I wasn't exactly a 'slim-jim' before I started. ;) He told me that he'd far rather see me a(nother:hihi:) stone overweight than keep on smoking. He reckoned that despite the media attention given to obesity these days, the risks of putting on a few pounds were nothing compared to the benefits of stopping smoking, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Hob-Nob anyone? :D

Hi all, three weeks off the DW on Sunday for me and it's getting a wee bit easier, even though I've stopped taking the Champix. Even the urge for the after-dinner fag has subsided! :)

Hi Mel, I asked my GP about this as I wasn't exactly a 'slim-jim' before I started. ;) He told me that he'd far rather see me a(nother:hihi:) stone overweight than keep on smoking. He reckoned that despite the media attention given to obesity these days, the risks of putting on a few pounds were nothing compared to the benefits of stopping smoking, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Hob-Nob anyone? :D

You're funny, Bob! Pass the Mars Bars please!

One of the teachers at my school, who is of the same vintage as me, (born in 1961), asked me if I was pregnant! I have to say for the first time in my life I was actually speechless. I have gained about 10 pounds over the last 8 weeks but can still wear all my clothing from before, they're just a bit snug. I really couldn't reply as my brain was trying to process what she had just asked me. She must have figured out that I wasn't and said, "Oh right, you quit smoking and gained weight!" My husband said that it wasn't funny ha ha but more funny tee hee. Bugger! He's doing great and has been nicotine free for 6 days by the way. Yay Champix and willpower!

Anyway, better to be fat and happy than dead from cancer!

Hugs everyone! Alex

Hi all,

Now been a non-smoker for 31 days, I have not smoked 1835 death sticks and have saved £459.44.:D

But, you need to to be aware of a most serious side effect. Three days ago I woke up with a song in my mind "THE LAST WALTZ", could'nt get it out of my head, could'nt remember the artiste.:confused:

Then the penny dropped "ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK", could'nt stand the bloke first time round (it was the 60's). Now I think he's really good and have been listening to him everyday - so beware!:help:

"PLEASE RELEASE ME, LET ME GO, COS I DON'T LOVE YOU ............."

I'm gonna sue Pfizer - my life is ruined.:help:

Hi all,

Now been a non-smoker for 31 days, I have not smoked 1835 death sticks and have saved £459.44.:D

But, you need to to be aware of a most serious side effect. Three days ago I woke up with a song in my mind "THE LAST WALTZ", could'nt get it out of my head, could'nt remember the artiste.:confused:

Then the penny dropped "ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK", could'nt stand the bloke first time round (it was the 60's). Now I think he's really good and have been listening to him everyday - so beware!:help:

"PLEASE RELEASE ME, LET ME GO, COS I DON'T LOVE YOU ............."

I'm gonna sue Pfizer - my life is ruined.:help:

:hihi: Very funny! Thanks for the giggle! - Alex

Hi All

Sounds like you are all doing really well, I am feeling good again after my blip last weekend, and haven't really thought about smoking very much at all this week. I have 2 more weeks on the pills and then I will be taking the lower dose ones.

Just a word of warning on the eating side. I did nothing but eat chocolate at the beginning and put on quite a bit of weight in a few weeks. I have now joined slimming world and it is really hard to lose any weight. I have been told that it is because when you stop smoking your metabolism slows down and it takes up to a year to get back to normal. And - in case you think of it - starting smoking again does not help you lose the weight either! So go easy on the hob nobs, try and eat fruit instead if you don't want to put on weight that will be difficult to get rid of.