The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Not sure how Jabber's doing, doesn't look like he's posted for a while.

I haven't got them yet, not sure how everyone else is doing?

An update would be nice though?

Hope everyone's doing ok.

*hugs*

I started a course of Champix four days ago, I have just had a bit of a skim over the thread, not easy with the kids arguing in the background. From what I can tell so far is .. My cravings are reuducing noticably, I feel a little sick for a while after taking them, Although I have been a bit off recently and it could be that. And my appitite seems to have waned..

Could someone just give me a rough rundown of what to expect?

What are the most commonly observed symptoms and side effects other posters have noticed???

Hope your o.k. jabbers miss your posts.

I've been on the champix for 6 weeks and not had a cig for the last 2 weeks and it's going well. I had felt a bit sick when taking the tabs and smoking but since I stopped the cigs I've been o.k. .Also I felt a bit spaced out at times but that has also passed ,now I just have the odd vivid dream and the odd urge for a smoke but that passes very quickly.I'm very sure that I've finished with the cigs ,Ive gone 11 months before but that was horrendous as I was going overboard with cq lozenges even to the point of sleeping with 2 in my mouth to get my nicotine fix.These champix have made it a lot easier and I'm not missing the nicotine at all.

Also I'm not drinking as much tea and I've gone off fried food so my weight is not going up like it did on the lozenges.

I'm a nark at the best of times and people have got on my nerves but the longer I don't smoke the more chilled out I'm getting so I hope to be "normal" some time soon.I showed this thread to my OH to let her know I'll be a bit strange for a while and so far I have been but I think I'm coming out of it now.I hopes so!! So the sickly feelings ,narkiness etc are a small price to pay to get free of the nicotine addiction so if your getting side-affects off the tabs stick with them as it will get easier and easier.It's great not to feel the need to smoke .

Well I am on day 9 of my champix course,there is a more noticble effect Since I started on the blue tabs. I am still smoking but the amount is much less, I still feel sick after taking them but this is only for a short time(I can live with it) My stop completley date is supposed to be the middle of next week.

The amount of craving's I have has dropped over the last few days so that must be a good sign, I bought a little 12g pack of rollin baccy on Wed's and I have some left still. I have not noticed any irritabilty or short temper, and my dreams are allways a touch on the weird side anyway. I have noticed that stuff tastes different, I had a bite of a blueberry muffin and had to spit it out :shocked:

I had a strange Migrane last night too, with just the aura and numb arms (no headache) But I could have been due to have one anyway, it's been a few months since the last one. And I have the sodding flu, would you believe it first bit of sun and I have to curl up in a ball under the quilt :( Mind you I think this may be helping reduce the urge to smoke even further.

I am a bit scared, it's been about 18 years since I started smoking and I feel a bit isolated at the moment, A bit worried that I may not have the strength to do it.

oh i am so disapointed in myself, i had half a fag earlier. i actually went to the shop and bought 10. was so cross at myself i threw it away after half! i have gone 2 months on champix and not broken down at all until today....why?!

Ive started on zyban im on my 5th day, im still smoking although only had 7 today which is really good for me as I smoke 20 a day, still craving though but im just trying to hold off. My stop date is the 6th of August but im hoping to have done it before then.

As for side effects Ive suffered from slight anxiety and a sicky floaty feeling but thats passed now thank god, just got a funny taste in my mouth.

Anyway good luck to all of you, and dont worry dilly we all have a little blip, just keep at it, it will all be worth it.

Rach

Are there any Champix users who were still smoking on day 11? :( I dont think they are working, Although The amount I have been smoking has dropped by half in a week, I still crave for ciggys.

I dont know if it's a mental thing related to the habit or that the champix is not working, I feel dissapointed in myself for not having quit yet. I will persevere and see what happens

H.P I was still smoking on day 28, as I was putting it off(quitting) for as long as poss.So don't worry too much about when you quit just as long as you do and I'm sure you will if you keep taking the tabs.

Just take one day at a time,the cravings will get less and less and easier to overcome and when you think your ready then pick a quit date and then quit.It can be done and the champix are a great help just stick with it.

GOOD LUCK!!

just to check in-i`ve ditched the champix as i just could not cope with the side effects but am still not smoking,i did find them really good and was still smoking on day 14 but them almost forgot to smoke as the urges were so minimal!!So i kind of accidently gave up! Any way on day 2 of no champix and so far so good but we`ll see,i just personally couldn`t deal with the side effects as i seemed to have nearlt all of them together and all quite full on!

keep going folks

liz

Great, Thanks for the feedback.. I feel this process is going to be an emotional one for me. I woke up at about 8 this morning (off work) I layed in bed for about 10 min's and it suddenly occured to me that usually I would have been outside by now puffing away.

Anyway I layed in bed for a further 10 mins enjoying the freedom not to crave, got up and still did not smoke a ciggy. I was a bit ratty, and I am quite poorly as well with a really bad chest infection so thats not helping.

I have been a bit tearfull over the last couple of days, but feel much more positive today I have only had one ciggy and I threw that away :gag: This course may help me lose a bit of weight too! The sickness feeling has been putting me off eating, that alongside the tearfullness seem to be the only side effects I am having.

I wish Jabbers would post, I am keen to hear how he is doing??? I am beggining to think that champix may make people dissapear :hihi::suspect:

Just wanted to add, that being able to read everyone elses feelings and feedback is really helping me, and I hope you all manage to be free of the vile ciggys too;)

hey all.

I havent had another fag but i want one, i miss the inhaling more that feel i need one i miss actually doing it, does that make sense?! i dont want to start smoking again :( still feeling sick with the tablets too every time i take one i feel sick as a parrot its making me wonder whether it would just be easier to smoke.

No, just think of the vile chemicals you will be polluting yor lungs with.. dont do it your doing really well.. If it makes you feel anybetter I started to crave a ciggy about two hours ago.. and it has not gone away. I keep having a sip of diet pepsi to quell the craving and sickness. I keep telling myself it will be a lot better not to be a slave to ciggy's. No more smelly breath, no more bad chemicals in my body.

Dont cave I know the sickness is really bad but the long term benefits really outweigh the short term sickness.. well thats what I keep telling myself :suspect: