The Rebels NightClub Mk 2.

As a journalism student, here goes....my review...

The first thing that struck me was the general air of confusion, there was no music playing and everyone was standing around looking rather lost. A distinct bassline BOOM BOOM came through the floor from the dance club downstairs. I was told there was a band performing, but they appeared to have finished and were standing around with vacant expressions looking puzzled. Some 2 minutes later AC/DC started playing and the disco came on, but the air of confusion continued and the DJ seemed to have some operational problems, plus an inability to match tracks of the same genre in any kind of traditional order. Many people were making their way out and going to the Corporation with long faces and empty pockets.

Do you not expect there to be maybe a few teething problems on the opening night of a new venue? corp has had problems on plenty of occasions such as flooded (properly flooded) toilets and sound systems acting the goat, and that is in a long established venue. Corp is also not the cheapest of clubs at the weekend, its good during the week when they are catering for the student market, but they jack the prices up at the weekend, at least they did for the years that i went there. And, quite frankly, the vodka served in pretty much any club in sheffield seems to be made up of leftover paint stripper, especially leadmill and corp. makes me feel quesy to remember my stomach lining being burned away by the stuff

Do you not expect there to be maybe a few teething problems on the opening night of a new venue?

Totally. Especially when striving to be ready for an advertised deadline. There is a lot that the public does not see that needs to be done. On the Doves opening night last year we had a dodgy PA, kept blowing lighting trip switches, faulty bar cellar beer pumps, wet paint, and bar tills that refused to re-program so all the prices were wrong:confused: All got sorted....just takes a bit of time...

Exactamundo. Cheers for the support. Send me that PM again now please, cleared my inbox.

Totally. Especially when striving to be ready for an advertised deadline. There is a lot that the public does not see that needs to be done. On the Doves opening night last year we had a dodgy PA, kept blowing lighting trip switches, faulty bar cellar beer pumps, wet paint, and bar tills that refused to re-program so all the prices were wrong:confused: All got sorted....just takes a bit of time...

all those things add a bit of excitement to the night anyway, when you never know whats going to go tits up next

Corp is also not the cheapest of clubs at the weekend, its good during the week when they are catering for the student market, but they jack the prices up at the weekend, at least they did for the years that i went there.

No club can afford to continue with cheap drinks the whole time - they have to pay for the venue, staff, security, license etc somehow. So beyond any intro/promo period or to boost "dead" midweek nights - any club has to charge more than a pub would do for drinks.

i went on saturday night mrs venom was in most of the night i had to wait till after work apparently it was classic rock all night, most of the people seemed to drift off to the corp when the band was on, as did we, it seemed to lose the atmosphere as for the prices, i paid for a taxi to get down and my mate paid for our entry and first drinks so i cant comment but £3.50 on bottle of brown is a little high

if i was to give any advice i'd say have the bands on early and keep the music loud and proud through to the wee hours

hi kj venom

after the band i can remember [just] them playing some new metal i hope they play more as we used to come from London to go to rock city and rebels to hear all the new bands of the time :) as i am on my space a lot of my spare time and there are so many good bands lets get them played in the pubs and clubs

yes bands on 9-10 or 10-11 and cheaper entrance if you have been in the tube same as the nelson and corp do;)

the corp is gd but if u like the old rock and gd beer and larger then u need to go to rebels

the corp is gd but if u like the old rock and gd beer and larger then u need to go to rebels

how can you say if you like gd (and i think you mean good beer and lager) if the venue does not have beer pumps?

my point about the band is if you've got a band will not appeal to everyone then putting them on when the club is filling up is not really a good idea not when there is another venue just round the corner

I'm one of the older crowd and so can remember Rebels opening and used to go in the Penthouse before then. I also used to work at the Kay Gee Bee [not many people even remember that place]

I've read through this thread and have a few idea's.

Live bands do seem to destroy the atmosphere to a point and I wouldn't recommend any rock venue to put them on half way through the night.

Sufficent bar staff are essential and yes experienced staff is a very good idea. We used to have three experienced staff on the bar and another two novices if required and the KGB bar was tiny.

In the old Rebels the bouncers were all friends or rrelations of the owner and they weren't the most pleasent of people so I really hope the security staff are slightly more up market.

The draught beer and Lager in the KGB was pretty horrible and so we made darn sure we had loads of Newcastle Brown and we sold it at the same price as the Wapentake so people didn't get the feeling they were being ripped off.

Just in case anyone is interested [most of the hardened rockers will know this site] here's a link to Rock Reunited and an associated site all about the old Rebels which includes pictures[very scary]

http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rock/index.shtml

I asked this before but no-one replyed to my query..

Will there be any nights playing punk music? Bad Religion, Snuff, Descendents, NOFX, Jawbreaker type stuff?

They have a few playing at corp on a Friday night in the little room downstairs but its pretty lame tbh. Would be good to have a proper hour or so of some good punk from the 80's n 90's, instead of this Fallout Boy trollop. I think its an untapped market as well, as I know loadsa ppl in Sheffield dying for a night playing this sort of music.

Please consider it!!

Really? I hear Bad Religion, Descendents, NOFX, Snuff Propaghandi etc in that little room every Friday.

They do have to play some emo and hardcore as well though, I talked to them about it before. It's a shame cos all the other rooms only have one style to cater for.