Communists. Haven't they got bored yet?

Has true communism ever actually been tried anywhere?

No, as far as I know - the nearest attempt was probably the Paris Commune of 1871, which was a noble attempt, but it was undone by the usual forces of repression after 2 months.

During the Spanish Civil War in the 1930s, there were a number of successful Anarchist communes that flourished in parts of Spain, but those experiments came to an end when Franco won the War.

StarSparkle

Cuban style communism is having abit of a relaunch in some south american countries much to the distress of GWBush. Up until recently Castro had seemingly lost alot of power and influence but in last 2/3 years really established himself again - cuban style communism appears to work!

Cuban style communism is having abit of a relaunch in some south american countries much to the distress of GWBush. Up until recently Castro had seemingly lost alot of power and influence but in last 2/3 years really established himself again - cuban style communism appears to work!

No it doesn't. The Cuban economy is a basket case because of Castro. It would have been one of the richest countries in the hemisphere had it not been for Castroite' communism'. It is now one of the poorest.

No it doesn't. The Cuban economy is a basket case because of Castro. It would have been one of the richest countries in the hemisphere had it not been for Castroite' communism'. It is now one of the poorest.

.... had it not been for the American blockading of the country, I think you'll find, Lord C.

StarSparkle

A few years back Sheffield was known as "The Red City" anyone remember that ?

Nowt to do with the fall of the USSR and the US blockade then? Don't get me started....;)

Nowt to do with the fall of the USSR and the US blockade then? Don't get me started....;)

I've tried numerous times to enlighten Lord C of the error of his ways on this subject, but he seems reluctant to be enlightened...

He has a complete blindspot with regard to the politics of Cuba in particular, but also Central American countries like Nicaragua. I live in hope I may be able to educate him one of these days... ;)

StarSparkle