Quality second-hand hi-fi in Sheffield

Who is? Moorgate or Big Deal?

BIG DEAL:mad:

Didnt you mean the one called ' RAW DEAL'.

Be very wary of evil-bay- my other half has bought HIFI 'bargains' twice now that both arrived damaged. Both good quality record decks - both arrived with smashed lids - nothig wrong with the deck.

The first time, even though the item was insured by Royal Mail, for which he'd had to fork out extra, what they dont tell you is that if you have to make a claim, you must return the item (and won't get it back- ever), you have to do all the running making the claim, taking photos, re-packaging the parcel and sending it to Royal Mail and then if they decide your claim is calid, they will grant a payout (which they inexplicably post to the person who SOLD the item, not the one who BOUGHT it), and the payout will only be for an amount up to the amount you paid for the item - not including the charges for postage.

The whole process took weeks and weeks and the other half had a devil of a job getting the seller to eventually forward the cash to him - at the end of it all, he lost the record deck (Royal Mail refused to just contrinut towards a new lid and insisted they had to keep the entire deck) and we lost the £20+ postage the other half had paid to receive the item in the first place - plus he had all the hassle of chasing the claim.

The second item was also damaged in transit and was sent by a private courier- we are still trying to sort the claim on this item and the seller is playing silly b*ggers and claiming it is out of time (which it isnt and even if it was, it's because he has been tardy in dealing with it), so watch out. Buyer beware and all that.

PS The other half uses Moorgate Accoustics n Sevenoaks on Queens Road but has just founda place in Darlington that sounds interesting - havent got the details tho...

A Hi-FI widow

try sheffield freecycle ive had some good stuff of it:)

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer neeeeeeeeeek; It's a turntable I'm after, so not sure you can help, but cheers. I will go to Moorgate on the weekend. At the moment it's a toss-up between a second-hand Rega or new Pro-ject. Anyone had any experience of the Pro-jects? They sound good value. I'm looking to spend up to £200 tops.

If you can get a secondhand Rega P3 then I'd go with that.

I bought a new turntable from Moorgate this year and listened to a P3 and its amazing for the price and would outperform a price eqiuvalent from Project.

Best thing would be to go and have a chat with Moorgate and listen what they have in store.

i have a project expression deck, with an ortofon needle and carbon fibre arm for sale if u are interested.

i only ever used it a handfull of times as a month after buying it, i got a set of technics decks. so it has been sat in its box since then.

i think i paid about £250 for it new, i would be looking for about £150 for it.

all the best.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer neeeeeeeeeek; It's a turntable I'm after, so not sure you can help, but cheers. I will go to Moorgate on the weekend. At the moment it's a toss-up between a second-hand Rega or new Pro-ject. Anyone had any experience of the Pro-jects? They sound good value. I'm looking to spend up to £200 tops.

I wouldn't recommend Moorgate if you're only willing to spend £200 as they only do quality high-end HiFi equipment & I can almost guarantee you'll get anything half decent from there or any other real hifi shop for £200

I would suggest save up & buy something decent like the Roksan Radius 5 record player (about £800) or the Pro-ject Xperience (about £550) also remember most HiFi decks have manual speed change but project now do a speed control box speed control box £300 plus I would recommend a high end decent cartridge/stylus ,phono stage & interconnects to get the most out of your record player.

A cheaper & really good sound with automatic speed change! can be achieved from a vinyl set up by getting the following...

1. Stanton STR8 150 DJ Deck £315

2. Bellari Valve Phono Stage £159

3. Grado DJ200 Cartridge & Stylus £55

4. JAV Silver Interconnect with WBT type phono £65

Tuffty - your inbox is full !

should be empty now.

Be very wary of evil-bay- my other half has bought HIFI 'bargains' twice now that both arrived damaged. Both good quality record decks - both arrived with smashed lids - nothig wrong with the deck.

The first time, even though the item was insured by Royal Mail, for which he'd had to fork out extra, what they dont tell you is that if you have to make a claim, you must return the item (and won't get it back- ever), you have to do all the running making the claim, taking photos, re-packaging the parcel and sending it to Royal Mail and then if they decide your claim is calid, they will grant a payout (which they inexplicably post to the person who SOLD the item, not the one who BOUGHT it), and the payout will only be for an amount up to the amount you paid for the item - not including the charges for postage.

The whole process took weeks and weeks and the other half had a devil of a job getting the seller to eventually forward the cash to him - at the end of it all, he lost the record deck (Royal Mail refused to just contrinut towards a new lid and insisted they had to keep the entire deck) and we lost the £20+ postage the other half had paid to receive the item in the first place - plus he had all the hassle of chasing the claim.

The second item was also damaged in transit and was sent by a private courier- we are still trying to sort the claim on this item and the seller is playing silly b*ggers and claiming it is out of time (which it isnt and even if it was, it's because he has been tardy in dealing with it), so watch out. Buyer beware and all that.

PS The other half uses Moorgate Accoustics n Sevenoaks on Queens Road but has just founda place in Darlington that sounds interesting - havent got the details tho...

A Hi-FI widow

If something is damaged in transit it's the senders responsibility to reimburse you and make a claim, not yours. A lot of Ebay sellers say they will 'provide proof of postage and insurance to help you with a claim'. Thats wrong, if something arrives damaged and a seller will not give you the money back make sure you've paid via paypal and do a reversal to get your money back.

It's the seller that insures the item when posting, should something happen to it in transit it's their problem and their responsibility to claim, not yours, no matter what they say.

If something is damaged in transit it's the senders responsibility to reimburse you and make a claim, not yours. A lot of Ebay sellers say they will 'provide proof of postage and insurance to help you with a claim'. Thats wrong, if something arrives damaged and a seller will not give you the money back make sure you've paid via paypal and do a reversal to get your money back.

It's the seller that insures the item when posting, should something happen to it in transit it's their problem and their responsibility to claim, not yours, no matter what they say.

Although I dont know anything about ebay, I do know that it is the person who has actually paid and instructed the shipper ie the seller who has the contract with the shipper. Therefore the supplier is wholly and totally responsible for making the claim and making good to the buyer. If the supplier wont restore the buyer to the position they were in then it is worth making a complaint to ebay & paypal. I would also threaten the ebay supplier with negative feedback etc.