Whitsuntide traditions

I remember new clothes but it was when we got our sandles, I think we used to see the bands going up the road with the Sunday school banners going up to and into Western Park?

I was born and bred in Stannington - proper Stannington that is above the old milestone at the Sportsman pub at the top of the hill and before Stannington became part of Sheffield.

Each of the churches - Stannington Parish, Stannington Methodist, Underbank Unitarian and Rivelin Glen and possibly Woodlands would turn out and walk behind their respective church banner and congregate at the head of the 'church fields' at the top of Oldfield Road where prayers were said and hymns sung. Each child would follow with other members of the Sunday School behind their banner dressed in their Sunday best. I don't remember getting new clothes but we did get new knickers and socks !

I attended Stannington Methodist Sunday school and was always a little embarrassed as we had the oldest banner which used to shed more paint in the brisk winds at the top of the hill every year. Each banner was carried by 2 adults and supported by 2 older children hanging onto ropes behind to prevent the banner from 'taking off' !

Later on that afternoon the churches held races and games for the children at the top of Stannington park and provided tea and plates of sandwiches and cake in the Lomas Hall.

Edited by Daven

I have a photo of myself, my older sister and my two cousins taken at Whitsuntide 1957ish and there's no way I'd publish it on here.

Basically, I'm in a suit with short, well pressed tousers (with turnups), a checked tie that is probably held in place by elastic, long socks with two dark hoops around the top and very shiny lace-up shoes.

Bet I wasn't allowed to wear that lot again until someone got Christened, married or died.

Why saxon 51 thats my last name almost and the year i was born

Why saxon 51 thats my last name almost and the year i was born

Go on - now you have told us you must show the photo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by johnpm

I have very fond memories of Whitsun when I was growing up in Brightside in the 1950's and 60's; getting new clothes, parading through the streets and the Whit sing.
The Whitsuntide holiday was once such a big occasion, second only to Christmas for children. At Whitsuntide we were bought new clothes. It was new from top to toe and we felt the bees knees. For many of us it was the only time we did get new clothes rather than hand me downs. We would dress up in the clothes and then go round to neighbours, friends, relatives and say “I’ve come to show you my new clothes” and you’d do a twirl for them and they gave you money. It was great. Then we’d go out on the march with all the children dressed up to the nines parading through the streets, Sunday school banners and the brass bands.
The tradition of Whitsuntide is my favourite memory of childhood. Unfortunately this tradition is not celebrated as much now, so I wrote a song called 'Whitsuntide Clothes' and recorded it at home a few weeks ago during lockdown to help keep the memories alive.
I would like to share it with you, and for those who remember this tradition I hope it 'Whitsuntide Clothes' brings happy memories.📷 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWQyv0ndL0

Loved the song - brings back such great memories of parade up to Firth Park but sadness that its all gone !

Edited by johnpm

Thank you for your kind comments about 'Whitsuntide Clothes' and I am so pleased it brought back happy memories for you.

I entered the song in the UK Songwriting Contest a few months ago and was informed earlier this week that 'Whitsuntide Clothes' is in the final of the folk music category.

The UK Songwriting Contest received over 9000 entries from 84 countries this year and only the top 2% reach the final.

The winners will be announced later this month, so I have my fingers crossed.

My husband and I also wrote another song about life in Sheffield called 'Errand Lasses and Buffer Girls'. It is based on my auntie Ivy who was a buffer girl.

It can be heard here