Catholic School on Burngreave Rd

Guest poppins

Any one remember the name of the Catholic School on Burngreave Rd , it's St Caths nursing home now,i went to it in the 50s

Guest poppins

don't think so, too easy.

Guest poppins

Just came to me, was called CONVENT HIGH SCHOOL.

Hi

I was Christened at St Catherines on Burngreave Road, I think the Church is still there,

Yes Nadine St Catherines Church is still there,but the Church Hall alongside was put up for sale this last week,pity that as i have attended a few wedding receptions there over the years,and i,m not catholic lol

Hi

I had to phone the church office a few years ago to get my Baptism certificate and rang at New Zealand time, which was in the middle of the night in Sheffield, I presumed an answermachine would turn on in the office, but I got the priest out of bed, it never occured to me he would answer the office phone in the middle of the night, why have they sold off the hall, will the church be going next.

Guest poppins

my mom is now in st catherines rest home on burgreave road,that was once the school i went to, convent high school for girls, must have beem 50 years ago since i attended the school,seing it now as my moms rest home our playground is now a parking lot, but it still has the statue outside that i remember, the nuns home was next door to the school i think, our teachers would walk us there to watch the nuns make the bread for communions, that was our big treat at the awful school,i have nothing but bad memories of that convant, sister Josephine was my worse nightmare, then i moved to st Patricks at sheffield lane top, was like night and day, is St Pats still there, i'v been living in the states now for 40 years and don't get back as often as i'd like

Originally posted by poppins

is St Pats still there, i'v been living in the states now for 40 years and don't get back as often as i'd like

St Pats is still there but I don't know if any nuns still teach.

I left St Pats in '62 and then went to De La Salle. What year did you leave? Reading your posts you were probably there before me.

Two of my cousins went to the convent school, Johnsons, does it ring a bell?

Guest poppins

ANDYMAN

I LEFT ST PATS ABOUT 1954, DONT REMEMBER THE JOHNSTONS, AFTER MY TIME, I LEFT AT 14 YEARS OLD TO START WORK, WISH I COULD REMEMBER SOME NAMES, I DO REMEMBER MY BEST PAL, MAUREEN WILD, SHE LIVED ON THE SAME STREET AS THE SCHOOL,CAME FROM A REALY BIG CATHOLIC FAMILY.

Originally posted by poppins

I DO REMEMBER MY BEST PAL, MAUREEN WILD, SHE LIVED ON THE SAME STREET AS THE SCHOOL,CAME FROM A REALY BIG CATHOLIC FAMILY.

We all did!!!!!!!

Guest poppins

ANDYMAN

YOU MEAN YOU REMEMBER MAUREEN WILD ?