Moore and Wright

Are they still going?

I am just looking through some tools and have turned up a mic. from 1968.

It is metric and in a Moore and Wright gold embossed case

I seem to rember the two firms, those and Chestermans, then Starrett came in as well.

Are any still going?

James Chestermans which later became Rabone Chestermans was taken over by Stanley Tools about 1990.

Stanley closed the Pomona Street works and redistributed the production of the products they retained amongst the existing Stanley factories in and around Sheffield

I think Chestermans stopped making micrometers in the 1960's.

All toolmaking firms in Sheffield just about gone now.

Stanleys, Ecclesfield & Rutland Rd

Record Tools, Parkway & Meadow Street

Spear & Jackson, Neepsend

Jacobs @ Archer Rd

And I'm sure there must be others I can't remember......

What a sad state of affairs..... we now import cheap tack from China instead of making quality goods on our doorstep. As far as I know, the only one hanging on is a division of Neill Tools @ Atlas North, Brightside.

Criminal aint it ????

My dad was a micrometer maker at Moore and Wrights when they had a factory at Handsworth. They were considered one of the best companies for measurement tools in the country. They were taken over by James Neill Ltd and continued to trade for many years. I believe Neills have moved to Neepsend now. The former factory at Handsworth was bulldozed to create the new ASDA hypermarket. Many happy memories of Moore and Wrights, they had great christmas parties for kids of employees, are there any people out there who went to these parties?

I worked at Moore & Wright from 1970 to 1976, then again from 1978 to 1990 (by which time it was Neill Tools). Many happy memories. I have a couple of photos of the Christmas parties in the 1970's.

My mother used to work there back in the 1950's early 60's

I worked at Moore & Wright from 1970 to 1976, then again from 1978 to 1990 (by which time it was Neill Tools). Many happy memories. I have a couple of photos of the Christmas parties in the 1970's.

So would you remember a girl called Dot Dickinson, a dear friend.

So would you remember a girl called Dot Dickinson, a dear friend.

I don't remember a Dot Dickinson at Moore & Wright, but I do remember a Dot Dickinson who worked further up Handsworth Road at Qualcut. She got her hair stuck in a machine I believe. She lived a couple of doors away from me at Woodhouse.

Are they still going?

I am just looking through some tools and have turned up a mic. from 1968.

It is metric and in a Moore and Wright gold embossed case

I seem to rember the two firms, those and Chestermans, then Starrett came in as well.

Are any still going?

Starrett is in Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders.

hi nanrobbo and drinkingman, do you remember my dad Bert Winnell, he was at Moore and Wrights for many years. he sadly passed away 16 years ago now.

There was a photograph in Saturday's "Star", 23/12, "Past Times" which captures the 1956 M&W Christmas Dance at the Cutler's (should be Cutlers') Hall. I would say there are about 50 faces which could be identified.