Anyone found a glue that actually works?

What is it with superglue - it seems to do the job, but before you know it, the mended item is broken again in the same (glued) spot :mad: It seems to go brittle and can't live up to its claims. Have tried epoxy resin too, but that has done the same thing. I'm trying to fix a plastic mudguard for my bike, but always encounter this problem with mending anything plastic. Also, anyone know of a glue that works on metal? :help:

Araldite.

It's so strong it could hold Tony Blair to an election promise :D

Crikey! Sounds impressive stuff for sure :hihi:

Halfords Metal Repair Stick will do the job, and stick to metal too; the results are no aesthetic joy though.

You are attempting to join a very thin area of plastic to another without any support, which is why the join keeps failing. You should glue in a strip of plastic behind the join; this would give it considerable strength. Evo-stick is the best glue for this type of repair. Repairing plastic mudguards is complicated by the fact that most decent ones have a thin internal strip of metal as reinforcement.

It is never possible to regain the original strength of a broken plastic item by glueing it however; you would need to melt the plastic and then repress it.

Plastic mudguards are very cheap indeed; buy another. Make sure that it has the internal metal strip; they cost a little more but are far far stronger. They are flexible, and often described as 'unbreakable'.

Thanks for your recommendations.

SteveC, the mudguard itself is still intact - the flimsy bit that attaches it to the bike has broken. Will probably have to get a new one, but was trying to avoid yet more non-biodegradable waste. Always best to repair something if you can :)

Thanks for your recommendations.

SteveC, the mudguard itself is still intact - the flimsy bit that attaches it to the bike has broken. Will probably have to get a new one, but was trying to avoid yet more non-biodegradable waste. Always best to repair something if you can :)

Most glues involve their own environmental hazards unfortunately. Particularly those that involve any form of plastic.

You could try fitting a small metal strip through the mudguard, with a 90 degree bend so that it sits against the underside of the guard. Just heat it, then push it through the plastic, it wouldn't even need glue. A soldering iron can be used as a heat source.

I'm a cyclist myself; never ever used mudguards, maybe now is the time for you to try without.

never use glue, i use silicon, works everytime or i bin it.:hihi:

I'm a cyclist myself; never ever used mudguards, maybe now is the time for you to try without.

Tried it - realised it wasn't the best idea when my work colleagues finally informed me that I'd been walking round all day with muddy water marks spattered all over my face and neck :blush:

Wire through the 'guard and then round the frame is probably as effective as anything; I should have thought of that earlier.

If it were me, I'd go for a new mudguard. Buy a good one and it should last just about for ever.

I find when glueing plastic it's best to use bonding compound or pipe fixing solutions ie. for joining plastic plumbing because these are purely made for joining plastic (from B&Q ect.) or if it's quite thick plastic try plastic wleding with a soldering iron hope this helps:D

Araldite.

That'll be the day. :P

"Anyone found a glue that actually works?"

I will tell you as soon as I have remove this toilet seat from my bottom!!!!! :hihi: