Terror in Stannington

Several comments here about the police telling parents, and mum or dad then meting out more punishment. That just doesn't happen in lots of cases now - anyone criticising beloved offspring is likely to get a mouthful (or worse) in return. I'm sure loads of parents must be aware that their kids are involved in some bad behaviour, but its easier to let them stay out than try and set any boundaries.

When my kids were young, there was one lad in the street who was a bit of a tearaway - when he was about 14, his mum asked if we'd lock a suitcase in our garage for her. He'd been suspended from school (for the nth time) and to ensure he stayed at home when she was at work, she'd put all his outdoor clothes in the case and we kept it for a few days. He had his pyjamas and underwear - and no street cred if he went out in either! He turned out ok, but without his mum being on his case, things could have been very different.

When my kids were young, there was one lad in the street who was a bit of a tearaway - when he was about 14, his mum asked if we'd lock a suitcase in our garage for her. He'd been suspended from school (for the nth time) and to ensure he stayed at home when she was at work, she'd put all his outdoor clothes in the case and we kept it for a few days. He had his pyjamas and underwear - and no street cred if he went out in either! He turned out ok, but without his mum being on his case, things could have been very different.

Totaly agree, but what do you do when the teachers at school are too soft?

My boy whos 8 finds it hard to concentrate at school. Hes also prone the occasional outburst (mainly emotional and not attacking people) but if he oversteps the mark we come down on him like a (loving) tonne of bricks.

Unfortunatly histeachers think we are too tough.

Example..Last week he swore at his teacher. Totaly out of character and well beyond what we ever expect him to at his worst. His punishment?

The day after we took him to the head and asked him to punnish him.

At home hes lost all his privilages for 1 week and pocket money for 1 month and he aslo has to do lines (i hated them as a child) every day after school.

Hopefully this will work as his behaviour has started to improve already.

But i heard one teacher say to another under her breath that we went too far???:confused:

We really are fighting a losing battle if this is the attitude of some teachers.

no sympathy at all with these two little gets. It is a pity only got two of them but 2 is better than none

it's been completely exaggerated and they have definatley been 'victimised'.
Why should anyone care about these 2 individuals? Are they innocent of all the claims?

there are alot more Stanninton yobs out there tonight who should have had their pictures in the star too.

Go for it!

Perhaps only in the lily-livered, cowardly, soft U.K could two 15 year-old boys hold an area to ransom ! In most other countries, either the police or some local males would have cleared the problem up in about a week. I'm sure the men in Stannington are not cowardly or soft. It's simply a fact that all over the country this is happening and because of our stupid laws about " childrens' rights " everyone is very reluctant to take any action at all.

Local people taking the law into their own hands on estates is actually happening more often now simply because there is only so much crap decent people are/can take, & the police in a lot of cases turn a blind eye as the vigilantes are doing them a favour. Community work at it's best if you ask me

Local people taking the law into their own hands on estates is actually happening more often now simply because there is only so much crap decent people are/can take, & the police in a lot of cases turn a blind eye as the vigilantes are doing them a favour. Community work at it's best if you ask me

Where can i sign up?

His punishment?

The day after we took him to the head and asked him to punnish him.

At home hes lost all his privilages for 1 week and pocket money for 1 month and he aslo has to do lines (i hated them as a child) every day after school.

Ahem far be it for me to question this but 3 punishments for 1 crime??

The teachers are right, you have gone too far IMHO.

The parents.. and the way their kids are being brought up... right there is the root cause of the problem.

If parents could sort their kids out instead of not being arsed to sort them out from a young age.

I dont really think movies and TV have that much to do with warping kids into terrors really - but people use them as a scapegoat for their own inadequacies anyway.

They don't actually live in stannington but on an estate that was (mistakenly) built nearby. Then leave their own area and cause loads of trouble for people in stannington village.

The best answer to this is to knock down the estate in question, rehouse people in more suitable areas and use the land to build a small number of luxuary houses instead. Not very PC but it would no doubt be welcomed by the people of Stannington.

There are many people in Stannington who feel that it was a mistake to build such an estate in the area and an even bigger mistake to deliberately use it house known trouble makers.

They don't actually live in stannington but on an estate that was (mistakenly) built nearby. Then leave their own area and cause loads of trouble for people in stannington village.

The best answer to this is to knock down the estate in question, rehouse people in more suitable areas and use the land to build a small number of luxuary houses instead. Not very PC but it would no doubt be welcomed by the people of Stannington.

There are many people in Stannington who feel that it was a mistake to build such an estate in the area and an even bigger mistake to deliberately use it house known trouble makers.

What a load of rubbish!!

Oh i was waiting for this thread!

Well i work with this family and i have to say it's been completely exaggerated and they have definatley been 'victimised'.

This was a big gang of kids and Louis was singled out by 'certain' neighbours and not allowed to breathe basically.

I'm all for ASBO's and making neighbourhoods safe, dont get me wrong but we arn't getting to the root of the problem, there are alot more Stanninton yobs out there tonight who should have had their pictures in the star too.

Why have sympathy for them instead of their victims. These yobs have orchestrated a reign of terror for months in the area and have brought gang culture to a district which did not previously have it.

The parents.. and the way their kids are being brought up... right there is the root cause of the problem.

If parents could sort their kids out instead of not being arsed to sort them out from a young age.

I dont really think movies and TV have that much to do with warping kids into terrors really - but people use them as a scapegoat for their own inadequacies anyway.

I disagree with this, to a degree - I used to think that parents were the root of everything, but thats not true at all. Some parents are awful parents with no parenting skills. Unfortunately, they produce children who tend to befriend others, and theres nothing like a bit of peer pressure to make someone do something they shouldn't.

I've seen this happen in several cases, and know quite a few families with one amazingly good child and one tearaway child, and its primarily to do with their friendship groups and peer pressure.

I'm not excusing their behaviour, but especially when the parents don't know whats happening (which isn't bad parenting, children can be pretty good at hiding things), its very difficult to get in early (thats the key) before this behaviour becomes part of the childs personality.

I was given a lot of independance as a child/teenager - allowed to stay out till whenever my friends were on a schoolnight, go out at weekends, things like that and I turned out fine. I've seen teenagers who've been mollycoddled most of their young life and the minute their parents aren't there, they turn in to thugs.

Blaming the parents is a simplistic response to something much more complex