Too fat... being refused health care?

So Fat people are lazy except for the ones that aren't lazy and are ill and are fat because they are ill. Thin people arn't lazy except for the ones that have cars and office jobs and eat junk food. Fat people with cars are lazy and thin people that sit down in an evening are lazy as are fat people:confused: Fat people are to blame for being fat even though they are doing the same as lazy thin people, they arn't to blame for anything because blocked arteries only show beneath the the skin.

Have I caught up with the general idea of this thread yet?

I'm not as thin as I could be, I know when I was that thin people were worried for my health, I'm not excessivly fat either. I'm not lazy but I do have lazy days, mainly because the only way to stop me piling on weight is to eat less than 1250 cals and exercise for 90mins a day and some days i get fed up with it.

That's not what I have to do to loose weight, that's to maintain it.

So it's not black and white as you can see.

One of the things that's guaranteed to get a fat person out of the gym and into the cake shop is being insulting as alot of obesety stems from comfort eating and low self esteem. Some people even use it as a form of self abuse.

Obese children is a subject that angers me, a parent that can let there child get into that state by filling them full of junk food and sweets should be prosecuted for either neglect or abuse.

If this problem is to be tackled it should start in the home and from a young age.

So Fat people are lazy except for the ones that aren't lazy and are ill and are fat because they are ill. Thin people arn't lazy except for the ones that have cars and office jobs and eat junk food. Fat people with cars are lazy and thin people that sit down in an evening are lazy as are fat people:confused: Fat people are to blame for being fat even though they are doing the same as lazy thin people, they arn't to blame for anything because blocked arteries only show beneath the the skin.

Have I caught up with the general idea of this thread yet?

I'm not as thin as I could be, I know when I was that thin people were worried for my health, I'm not excessivly fat either. I'm not lazy but I do have lazy days, mainly because the only way to stop me piling on weight is to eat less than 1250 cals and exercise for 90mins a day and some days i get fed up with it.

That's not what I have to do to loose weight, that's to maintain it.

So it's not black and white as you can see.

One of the things that's guaranteed to get a fat person out of the gym and into the cake shop is being insulting as alot of obesety stems from comfort eating and low self esteem. Some people even use it as a form of self abuse.

Obese children is a subject that angers me, a parent that can let there child get into that state by filling them full of junk food and sweets should be prosecuted for either neglect or abuse.

If this problem is to be tackled it should start in the home and from a young age.

Very well said. People who make derogatory comments about weight need to think about the implications. I have a friend who became anorexic after a lad at her school constantly kept calling her fat (she wasn't overweight, just naturally curvy and I'm not saying that to be kind). She recovered and became a normal weight but after becoming ill with meningitis she lost a lot weight (and nearly died :( ) When she came out of hospital someone that hadn't known she's been ill congratulated her on weight loss and said she looked great, like a model. You can guess the rest.:(

It very easy to throw around insults or negative blaming comments about weight. This is an issue that runs deep in our culture and anyone stupid enough to even think these things should think very long and hard about the consequences of voicing them. If an weight related insult helps one overweight person to lose weight, it will drive 99 others to comfort eating/further weight gain/eating disorders.

And remember weight is not a reliable indicator of health. The people with the unhealthiest lifestyles I know of are all skinny! Yet they smoke dope/tobacco heavily, drink heavily, live on junk food and do no exercise whatsover. Never judge a book by it's cover.

mojo i agree about the parents.

one of my closest friends is married to a fat woman. she complains about being fat, blaming it on her genes, as she shoves junk food into her gob and drinks a diet coke??

the thing that gets me mad is that she feeds her two kids the same complete crap! i have watched them get overweight and lethargic themselves. i tried talking to my mate about it but to no avail! its almost a form of abuse but its something she learnt as a child and the circle is continuing..

mojo i agree about the parents.

one of my closest friends is married to a fat woman. she complains about being fat, blaming it on her genes, as she shoves junk food into her gob and drinks a diet coke??

the thing that gets me mad is that she feeds her two kids the same complete crap! i have watched them get overweight and lethargic themselves. i tried talking to my mate about it but to no avail! its almost a form of abuse but its something she learnt as a child and the circle is continuing..

But you think it's OK to insult overweight people judging by your other earlier posts. If you had seen a close friend nearly starve to death due to anorexia caused by stupid derogatory weight related comments you would realise how devastating these cheap remarks can be.

Guest Mod_Man
But you think it's OK to insult overweight people judging by your other earlier posts. If you had seen a close friend nearly starve to death due to anorexia caused by stupid derogatory weight related comments you would realise how devastating these cheap remarks can be.

There's a difference between calling someone fat and not offering sympathy to fat people who can't look after themselves. To call a person of normal weight a fat person IS ridiculous I agree but to tell a fat person they are fat because they are fat isn't. Didn't you just label people as skinny? Why is that right but saying someone is fat isn't?

im taking it your fat manxcat? typical isnt it, blaming others.

its not your fault you crave fatty foods.

its not your fault you dont exercise.

i dont see what is abusive in what mod man said.

just to put the record straight, im not super thin, i have a little belly but i dont make excuses up. if i wanted to lose it i would exercise more and cut down on the food i intake.

everyone of my fat friends eats way too much unhealthy food and doesnt do any exercise, so in my eyes its their fault their fat!

doesnt mean there is anything wrong with them being fat, but if they were told to lose weight, as they all have, or risk health problems then they only have themselves to blame if they dont!

just as it would be a diabetics fault they fell ill if they ate a bag of sugar...

Is what you are saying here is "some of your best friends are fat!?????

Actually alcohol and nicotine are both addictive. Food isn't.

Unless you have some underlying physical or psychological problem them being overweight is your own fault, whereas being addicted to something is a medical problem (initially your own fault for trying it of course).

The NHS only has a certain amount of money to spend, so it seems reasonable to target the cases where the most good will result. If that means telling someone that they are unlikely to benefit due to being obese and so don't qualify for a treatment then so be it.

Alcohol and nicotine are necessary for survival.....you have to eat...(with the exception of size zero models!!!)....I am overweight... I don't smoke and I don't drink alcohol. But I still say if the NHS refuses to treat people, targetting the cases where the most good will result, then all I say is reduce their NI contributions to reflect this. The government cannot have it all ways even though it clearly does. And we are the idiots who stand for it....all of us, all of us who smoke, all of us who like to take a drink, and all of us who eat more than we should or are overweight for othe reasons. And it is from most of us that the government gets its money. Its rather like biting the hand that feeds it.

I used to be quite skinny at school and still am, the only people who comment on my size and have ever commented on my size is overweight people, Lines like aren't you skinny, you should change your butcher, you're too skinny, you could do with a few meals. It's always been the way, a fat person can comment on everyone else's weight but no one can comment on a fat person's weight. What works for one works for another.

Its probably because all the comments aimed at fat people are the same boring uninspired crap we have all heard before. Same as comments to someone tall - is it raining up there etc etc. After a while it isn't funny so we don't laugh, make a comment that is original and funny and I will join you. And didn't you get fed up (oops sorry not literally) with all the skinny jibes. That is human nature, Darwinian theory and all that, people belittle and make fun of those they feel are less strong. People categorise (fat people are lazy), people criticise and they do this without thinking about what category and what criticisms others may have about them. There are some categories I would not wish to be in but fat is not one of them.

Hold up, must go now....there's a double cheeseburger, large fries, large milkshake, apple pie, 2 litres of coke, haag and daaz ice cream, oh look, a pie, 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps just been served up for me....that's ok I suppose, it will keep me quiet for 20 minutes. Mum, whats for dinner....I am starving!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:P:hihi::lol:

i know i am overweight for my height but i go to the gym 3 times a week. swim occasionally. i hardly ever have time off work sick and have no major health problems so why should i not have access to health care? some of my skinny friends are very unfit and never take exercise so i suppose that is okay. What next, you could argue that people who damage themselves doing sport should also be refused treatment because it is self inflicted. If these people pay their taxes and NHS stamps then they are paying for the service.

i know i am overweight for my height but i go to the gym 3 times a week. swim occasionally. i hardly ever have time off work sick and have no major health problems so why should i not have access to health care? some of my skinny friends are very unfit and never take exercise so i suppose that is okay. What next, you could argue that people who damage themselves doing sport should also be refused treatment because it is self inflicted. If these people pay their taxes and NHS stamps then they are paying for the service.

Well said Caz, unfortunately we live in a society where selective discrimination is OK, especially if there is no legislation to the contrary, the discrimination that used to befall black people is now outlawed, so it fell onto the disabled which is now outlawed, so it fell onto older people which is now outlawed and now it falls onto those of us that are not covered by any politically correct legislation. And as soon as there is legislation that bars sizism then another persecuted minority will be writing threads on SF, and I for one will be fully supportive of them. Why can't we celebrate diversity and live and let live. Don't forget those that criticise can be criticised. :hihi:

If you're overweight you should do something about it. Doesn't matter weather it's through illness or eating too much. being overweight has no benifits what so ever. Your health suffers, your lifestyle goes down the pan, low selfesteem. The list goes on. I'm sorry but being overweight myself through illness it annoys the life out of me when people harp on that because of illness they're fat or it's in their genes or my favorite no matter what I do I just can't loose the weight. Crap. Everyone can loose weight if they really want to. They just go about it the wrong way or don't try hard enough. I hate being fat but am doing something about it. Not like the millions of others who want to loose weight but don't bother. They just winge that they're fat. If they dislike it so much do something about it.