Zimbabwe: Basket case of Africa

You would get ample proof of Mugabe being given godlike status amongst the Left if our leaders woke up one morning and decided to topple him.

Very true. For years the left (rightly) critised Saddam for his terrible human rights record yet as soon as anyone decided to do something rather than just talk about it they suddenly decided he was not so bad after all. Strange that.

You would get ample proof of Mugabe being given godlike status amongst the Left if our leaders woke up one morning and decided to topple him.

I think the West would be hard pushed to topple Mugabe. I'd love for the UK to try and free Zimbabwe from this tyrant, it was one of the most prosporous African countries when Mugabe took power and he has slowly destroyed it. But whilst people in the rest of Africa believe his rants about the Empire and how everything he does is to reverse the negative impact of colonisation then we cannot do anything too serious.

I'm don't believe the West can do anything without de-stabilising the whole region, meaning it is up to the rest of Africa. I can only imagine they do nothing because they are as corrupt as Mugabe and his cronies are. It is the likes of the South African government who should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this man to remain in power without any real peer pressure to try and sort things out for his country rather than just his friends.

Zimbabwe has been elected head of the UN's main inter-governmental body on the environment, despite criticism over the way it has managed its own economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/12/wzim112.xml

This is brilliant.

So....country going to the dogs, leadership as mad as fish, people starving. What could the UN do....

1. Ask the OAU and South Africa to put pressure on Zimbabwe to sort itself out, and if necessary intervene to give aid to the people.

2. If that's toomuch, make some fuss and start putting indirect prssure on to Zimbabwe through countries still trading with them in weapons, etc.

3. OK....we know the UN's soft....tell them that Mugabe is not the Messiah, that he's actually a very naughty boy, slap his wrist and ignore him.

No...they decide to effectively recognise the government of Zimbabwe by giving them this role.

And they wonder why people question the value of some parts of the UN.

Zimbabwe has been elected head of the UN's main inter-governmental body on the environment, despite criticism over the way it has managed its own economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/12/wzim112.xml

Maybe they are the best choice for the role? I mean, the current growth (and by growth, read shrinkage) of the economy is very sustanable. They put little or no pressure on the planet as they limit Electricity, they don't feed their people hence reducing the population.

Maybe the UN want those sorts of radical ideas to help make the world more 'sustainable'. Either that or it just proves my previous point about the rest of Africa being as corrupt as Mugabe.