Cowards (Attack in Rotherham)

Ok, ok, I can see we will never agree on this one and we can go on for ever.

No the 1889 is not my date of birth, im a blade's fan so that where that comes from. Yes I do work as a legal exec in the legal proffesion but not in the criminal dept.;)

Solicitors should refuse to defend people like these two morons.

They are entitled to defend themselves in court. Looking at them this would have been better than having some highly qualified individual represent them, therefore reducing their sentences.

I'm a strong believer in Karma, but i hope that never happens to anyone the solicitor knows.

Although solicitors would have taken the initial instructions, it will have been barristers who defended these two at court. Barristers are governed by the Bar Council who operate the "cab rank" rule: ie that a barrister cannot turn down any instructions unless there is a clear conflict.

A couple of quotes from the Law Society's Code for Advocacy which may clarify this:

2.3 Advocates:

(a) must promote and protect fearlessly and by all proper and lawful means the clients' best interests and do so without regard to their own interests or to any consequences to themselves or to any other person (including professional clients or fellow advocates or members of the legal profession);

© must act towards clients at all times in good faith.

2.4.2 Advocates must not decline to accept instructions to act as such:

© on the grounds that the conduct, opinions or beliefs of the client are unacceptable to the advocate or to any section of the public;

Whilst that defence was used at Nuremburg, I think it still has the same distaste in the mouth nowadays..

It's not a case of proving someones guilt or innocence. We're talking about a crime where the ID isn't an issue. The CCTV prove the offence beyond any reasonable doubt. The defendants are found guilty....and THEN the solicitors try to plea and bargain to get them a lighter sentence..

That isn't done out of professional courtesy, that is done to curry favour and to gain future business.

If you're connected with the legal profession, you'll know that 'criminal solicitors':hihi: (sorry, the term gets me every time), buy cigarettes, training shoes, top-up mobile phone cards and other gifts for their scumbag clients in the hope that they will continue to ask for their services in the future...

And we know where that money comes from to pay for those items; LEGAL AID. Paid for by the very tax paying public that were victims of the crime in the first place...

What a disgusting and corrupt life some people lead; John Philips wearing suits or not...

This is laughable and almost unworthy of a reply. But here is the official guidance from the Law Society on such matters:

11.01 Solicitor's independence and client's freedom of choice

Gifts to potential clients, particularly those who are accused of criminal offences, or to people connected with them, in order to persuade them to become or remain the solicitor’s clients, may amount to a breach of rule 1 of the Solicitors’ Practice Rules 1990 (see 1.01, p.1). Such gifts could compromise or impair the independence and integrity of the solicitor and the good repute of the solicitor and the solicitors’ profession. The Criminal Law Committee strongly advise solicitors that neither they nor their representatives should directly or indirectly make a gift to a person who is accused of a criminal offence except by way of refreshments or cigarettes for the client’s immediate consumption in the solicitor’s presence.

This is laughable and almost unworthy of a reply. But here is the official guidance from the Law Society on such matters:

Laughable perhaps... Quite unpleasant, dissapointing and corrupt...are phrases I would choose..

You can quote what you like from wherever.... I'm posting what I KNOW happens.... It's not from a bloke in the pub, nor a clipping from a tabloid..I'm talking about my own experience in law enforcement for many years.....

If you think that human beings (from any walk of life) adhere to 'guidelines' and rules, you must have a degree in naivety.

Corruption can be found in any profession/walk of life, Im sure you're aware that even the police force is not immune.

Do not judge the many by the actions of the few!

Corruption can be found in any profession/walk of life, Im sure you're aware that even the police force is not immune.

Do not judge the many by the actions of the few!

Very true... there have been corrupt police officers....ever since the 'profession' began.. (It's a human condition, i'm sorry to say. But thankfully afflicts only the few)

However, don't try to deflect away from revelation about solicitors giving gifts to criminals by throwing mud elsewhere... It's a deflection tactic that doesn't work...