I was asked for id

You dont know if someone is going to ask you for ID or not but i think things are changing so much maybe we will all have to carry some around with us before long. The law now is not to serve to anyone who appears to be under 21.

I know of someone who got an on the spot fine for failing to ask for proof of age, then the store manager got a heavy fine then it went to an hearing, it puts a lot of pressure on sales staff not to ask. Im not sure but i think now they have to log it down everytime they ask for ID.

I'm 34 and between 18-25 was NEVER once asked for ID. Between 25-30+ was asked occasionally, usually by middle aged ladies in supermarkets obviously are no good at judging ages and that think everyone under 30 looks like a teenager. But in the past year I've been asked about half a dozen times which is just ridiculous! So now I always carry my driving licence in my purse so I won't have to be embarassed in front of a queue people again when the shop assistant refuses to serve me even though I've been legally allowed to buy alcohol for 16 years:loopy:

What I've noticed is that when this has happened I've been dressed in casual clothes and little make up. If I'm dressed up smartly there's no problem. Which probably explains why shops and pubs get caught out for serving underage drinkers! So the idea of having some kind of ID for buying alcohol that isn't a driving licence or passport that EVERYONE has to show seems more senisble to me.

But how do you know whether or not someone is going to ask you for ID or not? If, like my mate, you are 43 and so obviously look older than 21 and you've never been asked for ID before, then no matter how sorry you feel for the position of the shop assistant, it's still gonna be annoying if they refuse to serve you alchohol because you don't have ID with you.

If you don't drive, then just about the only other form of ID most people will have that proves who they are and their age, is their passport. Now, personally, I don't think carrying your passport around with you constantly on the off-chance that someone might ask you for ID is a good idea. I like to keep mine at home in a safe place.

If, on the other hand, EVERYONE is going to be asked for ID before being allowed to purchase alchohol then some form of photo ID confirming their age ought to be available for that specific purpose and then everyone would know where they stand.

I'm 34 and between 18-25 was NEVER once asked for ID. Between 25-30+ was asked occasionally, usually by middle aged ladies in supermarkets who are obviously are no good at judging ages and that think everyone under 30 looks like a teenager. But in the past year I've been asked about half a dozen times which is just ridiculous! So now I always carry my driving licence in my purse so I won't have to be embarassed in front of a queue people again when the shop assistant refuses to serve me even though I've been legally allowed to buy alcohol for 16 years:loopy:

What I've noticed is that when this has happened I've been dressed in casual clothes and little make up. If I'm dressed up smartly there's no problem. Which probably explains why shops and pubs get caught out for serving underage drinkers! So the idea of having some kind of ID for buying alcohol that isn't a driving licence or passport that EVERYONE has to show seems more senisble to me.

Its not too hard is it. If you want to buy alcohol, take some ID out with you. If the shop refuses to serve you for whatever reason (say, you have no ID) then it is their loss as you will be forced to take your business elsewhere

:( i never get asked for id no more :(

The only time I've been asked my age was in a pub a few years ago when I was ordering hot chocolate :loopy: (I was driving).

I tried to show ID once, going into a bar in Leicester Square. I thought they were asking everyone so I got it ready, the bouncer looked at my face and said "Go on love, I might as well check it as you've got it there" :o

I was only 22!!!!!