Where have all the manners gone?

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

If you'd have seen me you'd have known I wasn't intimidating in the slightest. I was driving my BMW Z3................

You know, I just can't help but to agree with DB on this one, the old dear must have thought you were a hairdresser! :)

:hihi:

Originally posted by 1Man&hisBMW

You know, I just can't help but to agree with DB on this one, the old dear must have thought you were a hairdresser! :)

:hihi:

It's an oldie but a goldie eh :P

to be quite honest, they are getting paid to work and all I want to do is pay for what i'm buying and leave, i'm always polite but i'd really rather not have a conversation with a stranger.

So, since i've already said hello and then excused myself to answer the phone everyone's happy right?

The other situation is when i'm already on the phone, should i be rude to whoevers on the other end and hangup, just so that i can be minimally polite to someone i don't know?

Originally posted by dafoot

No, you don't *HAVE TO* talk to the cashier - but thats not the point. Isn't rude not to? Even if just a simple hello.

Just to show theres no age limit on lack of manners I saw a classic today - I was waiting at the checkout at Sainsburys out in meadow hell this afternnon when a mother/daughter couple forced their way in through the adjoining checkout using trolly and push chair as battering rams. the two people waiting at the checkout were justifiably (in my oppinion) annoyed and were muttering to each other when the doughter of the couple turned tound and in a very aggresive way shouted 'if you've got something to say, you should say it to my face' across the checkouts. To which the people at the checkout very politely said that in fact they had mentioned that it would be nice if she had said excuse me rather than just barging through. At this the mother daughter couple starting complaining about people blocking the aisle (remember this is a checkout not an aisle into the shop!) and then as a crowning comment started muttering about how rude some people were to argue in front of a child!!!

Are they stupid, ignorant, arrogant or all of the above???

Far too many people ignore basic manners when it comes to queueing up. I've lost count of the number of times I've been barged infront of, and there doesn't seem to be any age limit.

"I say bring back national service and corpral punishment"

:clap: :clap: i agree bring back national service (for the old fuddy duddys)

and what did us sheffilders do to end up with meadow :loopy: hell:twisted:

Originally posted by Zebra

I went to Meadowhall yesterday with my partner and encountered some of the most ill mannered people in the world I think.

Not only to people suddenly stop walking without stopping to think about the tidal wave of people behind them but they push you around and stand in front of you while you are looking at items on shop shelves.

And then the genius's who stop to chat in shop doorways or push their way down an already very overfull aisle (as seen in Loft yesterday).

I think it's worse in Meadowhell than town but even then.... I was looking at a pair of boots and some really tall guy first knocked my bag off my shoulder but then proceeded to stand directly in front of me, blocking my view of said boots. As my bag slid down my arm it (thankfully) bashed the back of his legs. He looked down at me with a filthy glance and then turned away - no apology.

Maybe Im old fashioned but I was brought up to apologise for accidentally bashing people, dont walk or stop in front of people, dont push etc.

Some dozy mare stopped in front of me as I reached out to pick something off a shelf earlier in the week, so I leaned past her to get it in a pointed manner and she had the cheek to huff at me.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Where have all the manners gone?

Lets begin a personal campaign to be more aware of the people around us and more considerate shoppers and show the numbskulls how it should be.

they was all lost when thy stopped caning in schools

smacking their kids blame the do gooders

A thought which often comes to mind when I have the 'pleasure' of shopping at Meadowhell is:

It's no wonder there are so many poor drivers on the roads when it seems the majority of people don't even know how to walk.

You're correct. They stop without consideration for those behind them; they wait in doorways - often with prams - and at the top and bottom of escalators. Nobody seems to want to help you get in and out of a shop, just standing there in an aisle where they can see that you can't get through and/or that you are struggling.

But that's not exclusive to Meadowhall. That's society today. (Blimey, I'm sounding like my Dad, God Bless 'im!)

i hate people who walk past prams and they are smoking so obviously the cigarette is at baby head level

is this drifting into an "agism" topic?

Originally posted by depoix

is this drifting into an "agism" topic?

Don't think so. Most people are saying that lack of manner most definitely isn't an agism topic. Old and young alike, people are nasty, inconsiderate and generally rude to their fellow beings.

Some of the worst language I hear comes from young (sometimes VERY young people) some of the worst behaviour I see comes from older (sometimes VERY old people).

But, I have met some wonderful people in and around Sheffield - young and old. Everyone is different. Problem (as I see it) is these days no-one has to face any consequences. Young people believe (rightly) that they can get away with anything, so where is the incentive?

At the end of the day if we are polite and respectful to each other we will all get through each day less stressed.

I make a point of holding doors open for people following me and i've got to say from my experience the people who tend to walk through without acknowledging me are usually older people.