Where have all the manners gone?

Originally posted by nick2

And, why do all bank staff have their lunch hour between 12 and 2, meaning that when there is the largest number of people with a limited amount of time there are the fewest cashiers available ?

They don't. :rolleyes:

What really, really annoys me is people who answer their mobile phone while someone in a shop or bank is serving them. That is very rude but it happens often. Treat the person serving you with respect and they will do likewise.

Also I wish people would remember that banks, shops and offices are peoples workplaces. Therefore do not smoke, eat or drink in them. Don't let your kids run wild or leave your litter on their floor.

Thank you! :suspect:

I used to work in a busy convienience store/shop.

While serving a chap his phone went, he answered. Ok I thought, he must be about to tell person to call back. But no he carried on talking.

So I didn't talk to him...wouldnt want to interupt his conversation that was oh so important. Waited for him to realise I had finished scanned, told him price and took money. Gave him change.

As he turned away from counter he said to person on phone 'staff here very rude - barely said a word to me' !!!

Please everybody - shop workers put up with all sorts of abuse and hassle from idiots. Be differant to the crowd and be friendly - it will be appreciated!

Originally posted by Andy

What really, really annoys me is people who answer their mobile phone while someone in a shop or bank is serving them. That is very rude but it happens often. Treat the person serving you with respect and they will do likewise.

I've experienced "service" in one shop where the assistant was sat gossiping on the phone throughout the whole transaction. I was gobsmacked.

Originally posted by t020

..................I was gobsmacked.

Must have been a nice change! :hihi:

Originally posted by draggletail

No win situation I reckon DB. If you had walked away you would have felt (quite rightly) peed off. But having engaged in the conflict with the 'old dear' you felt guilty (it sounds like)

No win situation. Bet it stayed on your mind for the following hour!

For the rest of the day mate - felt right bad, but peed off at the same time!

Here in the USA, manners are linked to the likelihood of a person carrying a firearm. You don't get into the 'in your face' situations because more often than not they end in bloodshed.

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

I got out to tell her not to bother moving anymore and to keep the space, but she didn't want to listen and drove off anyway leaving someone else to get the space. Talk about cut your nose off to spite your face :lol:

Yes I felt bad about it, but it was rightly my space. Was I wrong?

But DB, - you intimitaded her.

She probably thought you'd trash her car or something if she left it there.

have gone to the same place as Respect > out the Window of life.

Last time I went to Meadowhall was December 2001. I came away with the impression that those who weren't lunatics going in, certainly would be by the time they got out. As we were getting in the car to come home a woman getting out of hers said it had taken her almost an hour from the M1 exit to the car park outside M&S, and it took us twenty minutes to get onto Brightside lane....sheer madness.

My wife was really scared by all the pushing and shoving and vowed never to enter the place again.

i'm guilty of answering my phone whilst going through the checkout.

I always say excuse me i'll have to answer this to the person at the checkout first, but at the end of they day, I don't actually need to talk to them, they can ring up the price, i can pass them cash and take change all without having to exchange a word.

Originally posted by Greybeard

But DB, - you intimitaded her.

She probably thought you'd trash her car or something if she left it there.

If you'd have seen me you'd have known I wasn't intimidating in the slightest.

I was driving my BMW Z3, was with my wife and dresses quite smart - I was polite even when pointing out how she stole my space.

So was it right for her to take my space just because she's a pensioner? Was I wrong in that case to actually point out how she stole the space even though I was waiting - just because she's a pensioner?

Or is it because I'm a man and should just let her do as she pleases because she's a woman?

If she had been in her 20's you'd have a different point of view.

Originally posted by Cyclone

i'm guilty of answering my phone whilst going through the checkout.

I always say excuse me i'll have to answer this to the person at the checkout first, but at the end of they day, I don't actually need to talk to them, they can ring up the price, i can pass them cash and take change all without having to exchange a word.

No, you don't *HAVE TO* talk to the cashier - but thats not the point. Isn't rude not to? Even if just a simple hello.