Where have all the manners gone?

As for this disgusting spitting habit I believe that some of these overpaid prima donna football 'stars' are responsible for a lot of this with some people emulating them carrying out this habit.

Very true. One of the worst things i see and i often see it. Disgusting.

My gripe is those that go up Escalators (mainly older women) and stop at the top thinking of which way to go. They dont realise there's a great number behind them ready to tumble!

Glad I don't shop in Meadowhall.... but its just the same here.... I went into my local sainsburys and took my place in the queue at the checkout.... because the aisles are so narrow its impossible to stand by the side of your trolley so I stood behind it.... a couple of women were talking loudly behind me and one of them leaning on her trolley.... then she started rocking it back and forth oblivious to the fact it was banging into my backside so I turned round looked at her trolley then smiled at her.... next minute she's doing the same thing again so I turned round and gave a dirty look.... stopped.

Minute later it starts again and due to the big mouths on them I knew she wouldn't hear me so I more or less shouted " It doesn't matter how hard you push that trolley love.... its not gonna fit up my a**e.".... bonus! no more banging or big mouths. :thumbsup:

I have experienced very bad manners which appears to be the norm these days and not from youngsters but older people which may seem surprising.

Just the same 6 years on then.:hihi:

And you've revived a six year old thread!!

the elderly with such good maners are the main offenders ...

pushing bumping .stopping for chats. takeing ages at the tills . do not ever think I have ever had the door held open for me by the older ones it the young huddie that holds the door open in most cases .

and dont get me started on the mobilty scooters the size of a mini takeing up the whole isle . its like a race track in most shopping centers now with isle blocks all over as they stop to compare batterys and stickers or collection of keyrings

Speaking of manners, when I was growing up in Sheffield, as kids we would be made to stand up if the bus was full so that an adult could sit down. If my mum was there and I didn't get up from my seat right away, I'd get an elbow in my side accompanied by the one word order: "Up." Kids who remained seated would be subjected to a barrage of loud comments from other passengers, total strangers to them. Comments like.."Look at that rude b...er; " Makes yer wonder who taught im all iz bad manners," etc.

Does any part of that happen nowadays, or is this a redundant question?

Every so often someone always says something like 'nobody has any manners these days' or my personal favourite 'nobody has any values anymore'. Well that's because they never did, the only difference between that golden age that never existed and now is the growth of cramped and airless shopping centres that drive everyone crazy. There is a reason why people call it 'meadowhell'.

There are some really ignorant people around, and rudeness irritates me. However, every now and then you get some nice surprises. The other day when I was with my Mum in Boots opticians we were asked to sit in waiting area. There was nowhere for me to sit, - not that I minded; - when a boy aged about 16 (to stereotype - hoodie etc....) stood up and offered me his seat. But on the whole good manners seem to be disappearing. I guess it's down to the circles we move in!

I've noticed this too and my personal theory as to why this is, is that the false wealth(credit/debt) and a misplaced sense of general entitlement over the past 15 or so years has done something to the collective psyche of a large rump of people in this country... made them arrogant.

My personal favourite is "Who's gonna give way"...?

I don't go to meadowhall these days but when i did i noticed that people walk "AT" you not towards you.. and they refuse to give way !

One day i decided to play a little game..."Who's gonna give way"?

I picked a destination to get to from my starting point and walked there without budging from my 'flight' path.

As much of a straight line as i could without bumping into anyone.

You would be amazed at my findings. I could write a book about it. !

The amount of times people bumped into ME was outstanding.

Many were looking up whilst walking fast, some were looking down whilst rushing around.

But my favourite was a young woman with a pram, now they can be a challenge because you gotta move out of the way of a speeding pram or your shins are gonne get it?

NOPE....She, window shopping whilst speeding allong without a care in the world...carrier bags full of shopping attatched to the pram handles etc...so i thought i would just stay still and see what happens... she ploughed straight into me without a care. !

"Oooh im sorry mister" She said......I said " it's ok no problem...I saw you coming and i could have moved out of the way but i wanted to see the look on your face when you crashed into me".

Priceless.

because parents and grandparents dont teach them i was taught to say please, thank you, and sorry from an early age as i grew older i was taught to give my seat up on buses for ladies and gentlemen, to open doors for themif i knocked them to say sorry and to address them as mr or mrs brown, and not by their first names as they do today.

if children were taught this as i was from being small then children would think this was normal behaviour, and treat everyone with respect not just the elderly, but teachers, policemen,sales people and all people the same way it does not cost a penny to say sorry or please and thank you. but like animals dogs, cats, horses, lions, and tigers they have to be taught the same way as you teach babys to use a potty every thing as to be taught just look at animals like monnkeys the mother will teach her baby how to suckle, what to eat whats not good to eat, and thats instilled in those babys mind, and they will pass it on to there young, kids need to learn lessons at an early age and not rely on teachers to do the job