Blackstock Road Tip Megathread

I have regularly used Blackstock. I have a non-driving husband, so the trip to the tip is always done by me. I have occasionally asked for help and have never been refused. I have seen them help others but its a difficult call for them. Their main job is not to unload cars for the general public and there are enough free loaders around who would take advantage.

A couple of years ago I took a load of garden waste to the Blackstock Rd tip, hedge clippings and grass cuttings mostly, but in amongst it was some biodegradable sheeting, the stuff you put down to stop weeds coming up. It was well degraded and and I tipped the whole lot into the garden waste skip.

Suddenly I find I'm on the end of a tirade of abuse from the tip worker for putting something black in the green waste skip, then he insisted I get into the skip and get it out. Obligingly, or foolishly, I did. Whereupon he started the engine on the crusher machine while I was still in the skip.

A couple of years ago I took a load of garden waste to the Blackstock Rd tip, hedge clippings and grass cuttings mostly, but in amongst it was some biodegradable sheeting, the stuff you put down to stop weeds coming up. It was well degraded and and I tipped the whole lot into the garden waste skip.

Suddenly I find I'm on the end of a tirade of abuse from the tip worker for putting something black in the green waste skip, then he insisted I get into the skip and get it out. Obligingly, or foolishly, I did. Whereupon he started the engine on the crusher machine while I was still in the skip.

I reckon the guy would have been well in line for the dole queue if you had reported that.

Outrageous!!

I reckon the guy would have been well in line for the dole queue if you had reported that.

Outrageous!!

I know, I wish I had done, but at the time I was overcome with a mixture of bemusement and embarrassment that I'd been "caught" not recycling properly, even though I believe that I was.

You can bet if I'd gone into the skip of my own accord he'd have blown a fuse then too.

non of your council taxes go to running the tip in fact veolia pay the council to run the tip more than £250,000 a year I BELIEVE for each tip so in fact the you actually save taxes for the council by using the tip. the tips are run by private companies not the city council and they also have a contract for the next thirty years to do so.

also at least 75% of the waste that goes on the tip is sold on including the bench that someone paid A TENNER for how do you think veolia make a profit.

the council could run the tip themselves like they used to but it used to cost almost 5 million a year to run all the tips so they lost money every year hey presto veolia take the job on and even after paying all the dues and demands manage to make 5 MILLION POUNDS SAYS a lot about the sheffield city council the council could not run anything a useless bunch

I am a worker on a sheffield tip and if anyone ever needs a hand all they have to do is ask.A lot of people take offence when offered a hand so we wait to be asked then are happy to help.And as for "scrounging" through peoples stuff our job is to recycle and if people seperated their waste we wouldnt have to go through the bags to remove recyclable materials.:loopy:

You never see em hanging around the Green Garden waste or the wood skips do you:loopy:

I'm surprised by the coments on here as I use this tip regularly and always find the people helpful. Once I got told off for putting some paper in the general household waste but then the geezer took the stuff from me and pulled out the paper himself. His challenge was good natured and has made sure I separate the waste properly when I go.

I used Blackstock Road tip on Saturday when clearing my Mother in Laws flat. I usually use Deepcar and this was the first time here.

Deepcar is excellent - clearly marked with staff who help. BR was poor in comparison - I queued for 20 mins to get in and it was mayhem and the staff did very little to help.

I've been a few times over the last year,mainly clearing out general junk thats been left in the garden and out buildings by previous tenants.

I've always been just greatful to get rid of another car full! I don't really have a good or bad opinion of the staff,not really sure how much is to be expected of them,are they there to help?

So what is the deal with taking stuff out?Are you meant to ask/pay?

Does anyone know if it is o.k to take asbestos corrugated sheets there? There are are few bits gapping holes in the wall right up the garden,from off an old shed or something.

How dangerous is this stuff,should I wear gloves,masks etc,or should I insist the landlord sort it out?Or am I being ridiculously paranoid??!

I have been to Blackstock Road tip many times. I have always found the staff reasonably pleasant. Don't really know whether it is their job to help or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them politely.

I don't think its a job I would like to do! If they can salvage or re-distribute some of the stuff that is chucked away - well, all well and good. Much better for someone to have a use for it.

I really, really do not believe some of the tales people tell.

The whole point of the place is to allow people the convenience of a site to chuck out their rubbish and some people seem to get the hump about it being divided up for recycling.

It doesn't help matters if people are too dozy and slow to read the signs about what to put into which skip, too dumb to ask if unsure, and then take umbrage if somebody shouts across the yard "Oi, metal in th'end skip oo'er theere" instead of sprinting over and saying "excuse me for bothering your good self, but would you mind awfully if I asked you to put the collection of rusty bicycle frames in the metal skip; only the skip you seem to have chosen for convenience happens to be full of wood. We do of course apologise for causing you distress by filling the wood skip with wood, in some mistaken notion that dividing waste was a good idea. Please do continue to muddle it all up, in fact, I'll lay down in the skip while you pile all your rubble onto me, so I can be sorting it out for you. Good day."

Incidentally I was at Blackstock Road this evening: I dropped some wood whilst carrying an armful and before I'd returned from the skip, it had already been picked up by one of the lads who supposedly stand around doing nowt. Another asked a chap unloading some awkward stuff if he could manage OK.

Some people do not WANT help, and some people would kick up a rare stink if whilst helping, a member of staff slipped and dropped something putting a scratch on their bumper.

So whilst people are so keen to criticise and make claims for everything, the lads at the tip do right in not helping unless asked.

I really, really do not believe some of the tales people tell.

The whole point of the place is to allow people the convenience of a site to chuck out their rubbish and some people seem to get the hump about it being divided up for recycling.

It doesn't help matters if people are too dozy and slow to read the signs about what to put into which skip, too dumb to ask if unsure, and then take theere" instead of sprinting over and saying "excuse me for bothering your good self, but would you mind awfully if I asked you to put the collection of rusty bicycle frames in the metal skip; only the skip you seem to have chosen for convenience happens to be full of wood. We do of course apologise for causing you distress by filling the wood skip with wood, in some mistaken notion that dividing waste was a good idea. Please do continue to muddle it all up, in fact, I'll lay down in the skip while you pile all your rubble onto me, so I can be sorting it out for you. Good day."

umbrage if somebody shouts across the yard "Oi, metal in th'end skip oo'er

Incidentally I was at Blackstock Road this evening: I dropped some wood whilst carrying an armful and before I'd returned from the skip, it had already been picked up by one of the lads who supposedly stand around doing nowt. Another asked a chap unloading some awkward stuff if he could manage OK.

Some people do not WANT help, and some people would kick up a rare stink if whilst helping, a member of staff slipped and dropped something putting a scratch on their bumper.

So whilst people are so keen to criticise and make claims for everything, the lads at the tip do right in not helping unless asked.

Te He !!!:hihi:

Well said!