Question about deaf people

My 10 year old daughter asked me the best question I have ever been asked.

Can deaf people hear themselves think? I really did not know how to answer her. Can anyone answer this for her (and me!). cheers

Yes, but not in the same way as people are not deaf I suppose. Don't need the use of your ears to hear yourself think lol.

I would assume that they can yes. It is noise they can't hear so if you are thinking in your head you aren't actually making a noise.

I wish my kids asked me questions like that, yesterday my daughter aged 5 asked me if children her age could die :(

Technically, hearing your own thoughts is actually one of the symptoms of a psychotic illness.

But it is a very good question.

Guest Mod_Man

They would be conscious of there own thoughts and their inner voice so deaf people can probably hear themselves think in that sense. I don't think they would be able to assign a voice to their thoughts as we do unless they have a reference voice, if a person has never heard anything then where would they get the reference voice?

Edit: I'm not deaf so can only guess.

Technically, hearing your own thoughts is actually one of the symptoms of a psychotic illness.

Even if your thoughts come from 'God' and tell you to invade Iraq?

Even if your thoughts come from 'God' and tell you to invade Iraq?
No, in that case God speaks to you and you are a good Christian.

There's a (ahem) difference!

edit: in all seriousness though, recognising and acknowledging your own thoughts is perfect normal. Deciding those thoughts are unquestionable truths is symptomatic of a demagogic personality. In common parlance, it means you are ignorant and thick. Either that or you are JD Salinger.

Either that or you are JD Salinger.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

The reference voice bit is interesting though. If someone has been profoundly deaf since birth, then I presume there isn't a reference voice.

I've worked with people with disabilities nearly all my working life, and it's something which has never crossed my mind.

Aren't kids great!

That's a really interesting question! You've obviously got a clever daughter!

Hearing yourself think is just being conscious of your own thoughts, is it not? I assume there is still some kind of internal dialogue but probably not the same kind as hearing people have.

It's so interesting, I'm going to try and ask one of my lecturers as I have one who deals with the relationship between language and thought (that might begin to cover it) and I'll let you know!!

If you were a psychotic deaf person how would you be able to hear the voices in your head?

If you were a psychotic deaf person how would you be able to hear the voices in your head?

You would have another psychotic to sign for you:roll:

You would have another psychotic to sign for you:roll:
How would they fit inside your head? And how would you see them sign, as they will be behind your eyeballs?