Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

So enjoyed reading this thread!

A link to a 2007 photo of Walter (post #21) no longer works, but I think this is it? I don't know him so I could be wrong!:

Walter 2 Jun 2007

Hi lee75 - it's wonderful to know that Walter is still going strong; he will be 89 on 22 April. You can give links to photos uploaded to an image holding site, but I 've sent you my email address via PM - if you email me the photo as a JPEG etc. attachment I'll do the rest..:)

E-mail sent with the picture :-)

A link to a 2007 photo of Walter (post #21) no longer works, but I think this is it? I don't know him so I could be wrong!

Hi HughW - yes, that's a photo of Walter taken on Rydalhurst Avenue. Walter has moved from where he was on Worrall Road and is now being well cared for, not far from Hillsborough Corner so he is near to his familiar territory. Here is a link to the photo that lee75 took this morning..:)

Edited by hillsbro

So enjoyed reading this thread!

A link to a 2007 photo of Walter (post #21) no longer works, but I think this is it? I don't know him so I could be wrong!:

Walter 2 Jun 2007

Love that picture of him :-)

Thanks hillsbro for putting the picture up of him from today.

Thank you for the up to date photo of Walter and for letting us know he is still around.

He looks good, bless him. . .:)

Thank you for the up to date photo of Walter and for letting us know he is still around.

He looks good, bless him. . .:)

Seeing him has made my day. It's a shame we don't see more of him. Loved by plenty of Sheffield folk. :bigsmile:

Walter i think was a long term patient at Middlewood hospital and used to roam around Wadsley, Wisewood and Hillsborough & Langsett back in the late 70's and 80's.

He used to give all the kids sweets and toys such as conkers on strings and he even gave me a gold fish in a bag that he won at the fair!

I saw him last year sat at Hillsborough corner and he's hasn't really changed that much.

I just wondered if anyone knew his story?

A guy like that today would be viewed with great suspicion but he was harmless and good natured, just a bit retarded thats all.

when we were kids in stannington/stanwood there was an ernest and a walter that lived in an old stone cottage next to hawkhills old peoples home. it was a woman with a milk round that looked after them. we used to call it the funny farm (not very nice i know). are these the same people?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Aww I love the photo! he still looks the same as I remember him! He's a much loved man! I grew up around wisewood/hillsborough and I'm so glad I had the honour of seeing him often and my children got to meet him aswell, it's a shame that he probably doesn't understand how important he is to all of us who grew up in that area xxxx

---------- Post added 10-04-2014 at 20:15 ----------

Does anyone remember Maureen and Dougie? my nan looked after them when she worked at middlewood, not seen them two for years? Maureen always asked if you had a fag or a light! lol she once actually got into our school grounds in secondary school at wisewood! Xxx

I also remember the house at Stanninigton near the Deerstalker pub that local kids called the funny farm. Think the lady there cared for a few people was her name Lilly? Think these must have been the same people. Always remember Ernest breaking into song! Could be on the street or bus. Christmas songs were a treat!

..Does anyone remember Maureen and Dougie?...
Do you mean Dougie March, the patient at Middlweood who used to repair all the radios and TVs? He was an old friend of my dad's.

i used to work in Middlewood sewing room i remember Walter & Dougie ,bless them.that brings back some memories