Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

Hi,

Just been reading all the posts with a bit of a lump in my throat.

I remember Walter, a really lovely kind man and as everyone else said he used to hand out sweets, gifts and conkers to all the school children in the area.

I used to go to Wisewood School and remember seeing him on his 'rounds', I was almost in tears reading he may have passed away, what a relief to read he is doing well.

I've just 'liked' the Facebook page so I can keep up to date.

It's a pity I live out of the area otherwise 4 generations of my family would have known Walter, My Gran-Dora, My Uncle-Hillsbro, me and my kids.

All the very best Walter, God bless you! You are much loved by so many!

Jimmy / Jim / James

I saw Walter down Hillsborough today he seems a bit frail on his feet but otherwise the same old Walter.:love::thumbsup:

Sheffield and Hillsborough wouldn't be the same without Walter. I left school over 20 years ago and remember him walking past and we would say hello to him. God Bless Walter xxx

Exactly the same for me except it was 55 years ago when he collected conkers and gave them to us in Hillsborough Park.

my nan use to work at middlewood hospital and remembers Walter very well, i use to go to wisewood primary and secondary and i can remember Walter stopping at the gates and giving children sweets and his famous paper aeroplanes! along with the conkers lol, he once gave me a present wrapped (obviously lol) and it was a skipping rope! bless him what a lovely man he is. i use to work at a cafe in hillsbro called birds its now a takeaway now though and he used to come in everyday for a cuppa and a slice of carrot cake! and one day i was sat for about an hour with him as his bag was full of photos of him at middlewood with staff and patients, it was really nice to sit with him for an hour and see what he was like when he was younger. he's such a lovely man and like previous posters have said Hillsborough wouldn't be the same with out Walter! :D

walter is a local character in the hillsborough area, he spent much of his life in middlewood hospital, when the hospital closed, walter must have gone in supported living. He was known with affection by all the school kids in the area, because he always had some treats for them, in his shopping bag. He used to spend a lot of time just sat watching the world go by. I have not seen him for a long time does anyone know if he is still alive

So, not seen Walter in ages. Is he still with us? Bless him :)

Edited by Harryarwen
Typo

Walter i think was a long term patient at Middlewood hospital and used to roam around Wadsley, Wisewood and Hillsborough & Langsett back in the late 70's and 80's.

He used to give all the kids sweets and toys such as conkers on strings and he even gave me a gold fish in a bag that he won at the fair!

I saw him last year sat at Hillsborough corner and he's hasn't really changed that much.

I just wondered if anyone knew his story?

A guy like that today would be viewed with great suspicion but he was harmless and good natured, just a bit retarded thats all.

you must have got your dates wrong he was older than me and Iim 75 he was in and out of middllewood for yrs 2 of his fellow patients lived near me ginger ken and his cousin denis crag in those days they could,nt come out of hospital unless someone signed for them the used to work at don firelighters at the bottom of our street I think kens mum signed them out they were harmless like 4 yr olds

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 21:08 ----------

Walter? He sits on my wall every Saturday afternoon, stops for a rest on his way to the wadsley jack (my house was once owned by a psychiatric nurse so I wonder if that's why he comes here)- I can set my clock by him. He sits there for about an hour, chatting to himself, and I always say hello.

He's almost like the cuckoo- I know spring has arrived when I see Walter on the wall, because he doesn't come in winter or bad weather.

I feel privileged to have such a local character visit me every week- maybe I should tell him how famous he is- what a treasure!!

the man who lived in your house was Brian Mc lernan went to burton st school as did I died young

...he was older than me and Iim 75...
Walter will be 88 on 22 April..:)

Is the FB page still live?

Tried to find it but cannot, can someone please post a link if its still operational

Thankyou

mumsy

Good news boys & girls....the legend that is Walter, is still alive!! :-)

Saw him this morning, Wednesday 9/4/14 at 9am in Morrisons cafe :-)

I think he lives in the sheltered housing at the top of Worrall near where the hospital was. Anyway, he was sat there with a female, probably his carer or someone who works where he lives, eating away and drinking coke. T'old fella and his speech isn't the greatest now and his hearing sounds like it's almost gone.

Just trying to figure out how old he will be now? I remember the days walking to and back home from Wisewood school when we bumped into him just about every day. Always had a packet of digestives or conkers in his blue bag he use to carry with him everywhere to pass on to kids walking home. Always chatted to the kids and parents as he always had something to say to us every day. Ok, it may have been the same conversation for a few days but it didn't matter because it was Walter :-)

Delighted to see him this morning and has brought all the old memories flooding back. Had to take a picture of him on my phone purely because a lot of people thought he had passed away. Reading back on here it did seem a few thought he had last year. I would like to share the photo on here but not sure if you can put pictures up on here?

Walter is a legend and always will be!

Just trying to figure out how old he will be now?... I would like to share the photo on here but not sure if you can put pictures up on here?
Hi lee75 - it's wonderful to know that Walter is still going strong; he will be 89 on 22 April. You can give links to photos uploaded to an image holding site, but I 've sent you my email address via PM - if you email me the photo as a JPEG etc. attachment I'll do the rest..:)