Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

I remember him from my childhood

So glad to hear that Walter is OK. I'll keep his cigars in my pocket and will look out for him this week.

Back in the early 50's I knew Walter as did my Mum who nursed him at Middlewood Hosp. We used to talk in the "Old Mans Hut" in Hillsboro' Park. I used to give him neckties in exchange for "Bits" out of his bag. On joining the Navy I used to bring him Duty Free ciggies when I was on leave. My Mum is now 89 and remembers him well. Walt is a much loved character of Hillsboro' and it has been a priviledge to know such a gentle man.

Oh, the Old Man's Hut - I had almost forgotten it. Here it is on a postcard dating from c. 1912.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughPark1912.jpg

I had a good look round Hillsborough today (the weir area looks a bit tidier) but there was no sign of Walter. No doubt when he's short of a smoke he'll drop a hint, as usual, by sitting on on the wall opposite my bungalow and giving me a wave!

Walter is living locally but not Grimthorpe. :) He's a lovely old man and its good to know he's well.

Oh, the Old Man's Hut - I had almost forgotten it. Here it is on a postcard dating from c. 1912.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/HillsboroughPark1912.jpg

I had a good look round Hillsborough today (the weir area looks a bit tidier) but there was no sign of Walter. No doubt when he's short of a smoke he'll drop a hint, as usual, by sitting on on the wall opposite my bungalow and giving me a wave!

WHAT A GREAT PHOTO OF THE HUT, I REMEMBER SPENDING HOURS IN THERE WITH MY OLD MATES INCLUDING "JOSSMAN" WALTER WAS ALWAY A LOVELY MAN AND ITS GOOD TO KNOW THAT LIFE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN GOOD TO HIM.

saw him sat opposite wadsley church on sat - just watching cars - he must have been boiling as he was sat in full suit - asked him if he was warm but he didnt answer

I remember Walter and his sweets and conkers and Earnest. Happy days of my childhood in Hillsborough. I'm so pleased to hear Walter is still around and doing well.:)

This is a great story and interesting to.

I don't know him but I guess the Hillsbrough residents do and suggest you take care of him while he is still around.

Next time I'm in Hillsbrough I will take my binno's and go Walter watching.

Here's another "Walter report" - he is on his customary mid-day walk around Wadsley today, bless him. We just saw him sitting as usual on the wall opposite our bungalow and I gave him a belated birthday present!:)

i remember walter, glad to know he's still around, he was put into the middlewood hospital when he was a child a common practise when the orphanages we're full back in the day.

Yes, Walter lived for many years at Middlewood Hospital. The forummer “’SuzyQ’ is Walter’s niece, and here is an extract from her post with a little of the background:

He originates from a large family, and found himself residing at the hospital after contracting meningitis as a toddler. My poorly Nan, who suffered kidney disease & had to have one removed, was very concerned, as he kept running away from home after the illness took its toll on her little boy, and I believe he was about 3yrs old when the "powers that be" decided he would be better off in care. ... God bless you all that still look out for him!

See:http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=3136611#post3136611

The important thing is that Walter has always been happy and well cared for. He now lives in comfortable accommodation near to Hillsborough Corner, handy for the Freemason’s Arms and all his favourite haunts! Bless him - he is such a well-known and well-loved character in Hillsborough; he will be 84 in April.