Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

Walter has been around for so long that we couldn't imagine Hillsborough or Wadsley without him. Everyone loves Walter, and people are kind to him. He's perfectly happy in his own little world, and loves to give people things. I still have an old alarm clock that he gave me a few years ago, nicely gift-wrapped (I think he had remembered the Hamlet cigars I gave him). It doesn't work, but the thought was there. Make a diary note for 22 April next year - he'll be 83 and there is sure to be a party in the Wadsley Jack, Horse & Jockey or another local hostelry.

I remember Walter, he often walked up our road (Marlcliffe) and always used to say it was his birthday, whatever day it was. I remember him giving out sweets and conkers to the kids on the road. A very kind, harmless man. Glad he's doing well and still out and about enjoying himself.

This brings back memories.I used to work at middlewood in the eighties.I remember him well! Nice old man .Glad to hear he's still around.

ive seen walter today. He was sat under the traffic lights on hillsborough corner. He looked as happy as ever!! Good old Walter:):)

Walter will be 83 on 22 April. Does anyone know if there will be the usual party in one of the Wadsley pubs? I have some of his favourite Hamlet cigars, all nicely gift-wrapped.

He usually calls on my dad sometime this week, as they both have a birthday around the same time - I will have to remind dad to get him some cigars in :)

He used to walk, but the last couple of years someone brought him in a car, I think he has a round of people to call on :)

Thanks, hennypenny - I'll be "home" in Wadsley next week so I'll keep an eye open. Walter has so many friends and his party is always well attended!

Walter hasn't been around to see my dad this year to ask for his birthday present, the first time he has missed calling for about 20 years.

Is he ok? Does anyone know?

did notice a man sat outside smoking at the horse and jockey today - talking to himself looked a bit like him but not sure as i was on the the side - wasnt he supposed to be in the home nr grimesthorpe - locksley court!!

thought i saw him today sat on hillsboro corner with his cig flat cap

He did call to see my dad - phew. It just wouldn't be the same if he missed calling for his cigars ;)

Yes, pleased to say that Walter came to sit on my wall on Saturday, and he did tell me that it was his birthday on Tuesday- though I had no cigars to give him. He said he was waiting for the man across the road- must have thought he'd have a pressie for him.

I always know that spring's arrived when Walter is sitting on my wall!!

Hope he had a happy birthday!