Does anyone in Hillsborough remember Walter?

i used to work in Middlewood sewing room i remember Walter & Dougie, bless them. that brings back some memories
Hi wendy stacey - welcome to the Forum!.:) In 1945-46 Dougie and my dad had a small wireless & electrical shop "Robinson & March" on Spital Hill. Dougie was the "brains" behind the business; it closed when he became ill (catatonic schizophrenia) and he spent the rest of his life in Middlewood. In the 1950s his mother, Elizabeth March, sometimes used to call at our house on her way to visit him, which she did every day for many years; she died in 1962. Dougie's condition improved in the mid-1960s thanks to modern medication - it's so sad that his mother didn't live to see this improvement - but Dougie stayed at Middlewood simply because he had nowhere else to go. He used to do various jobs for us - repairing radios, TVs, stereos etc. and Walter would sometimes come with him. Dougie died aged 70 in September 1987; his sister Bertha, my mother and I were among the few people at the funeral. Edited by hillsbro

Thats sad about Dougie but at least hes in peace now.will always remember him,as does my ex husband who also worked at Middlewood as gardener.Always asking for a ciggie .Good to hear Walter still on the go though :)

...Always asking for a ciggie. Good to hear Walter still on the go though :)
Yes, Dougie used to roll his own - at Christmas we always used to give him some Golden Virginia. No doubt Walter is still a Hamlet fan - I'll make sure I have a packet with me in case we see him in Hillsborough next week. I wonder if they still put on a party for him on his birthday (22 April) in the Horse & Jockey or Wadsley Jack? It's great that he is still going strong at 89, a much-loved local character..:)

Happy 89th birthday Walter :-)

The early part of this thread has a lot of information about Walter - a lovely man and local legend.

Edited by hillsbro

He was a lovely man; everyone thought the world of Walter. It's good to know that he was well cared for in his autumn years, in a cosy flat in sheltered accommodation near Hillsborough Corner. Here is a photo that I took in June 2007.

https://postimg.cc/rdYXkJWx

Edited by hillsbro

19 hours ago, hillsbro said:

He was a lovely man; everyone thought the world of Walter. It's good to know that he was well cared for in his autumn years, in a cosy flat in sheltered accommodation near Hillsborough Corner. Here is a photo that I took in June 2007.

https://postimg.cc/rdYXkJWx

I've enjoyed reading this thread, hillsbro you're a star. RIP Walter.

6 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I've enjoyed reading this thread, hillsbro you're a star. RIP Walter.

Thanks, Mister Gee. Everyone loved Walter, a caring, kind-hearted man who was well known to generations of Hillsborough folk. It is a blessing that he was able to enjoy a long life and bring a little sunshine into our lives. RIP Walter.

10 minutes ago, hillsbro said:

Thanks, Mister Gee. Everyone loved Walter, a caring, kind-hearted man who was well known to generations of Hillsborough folk. It is a blessing that he was able to enjoy a long life and bring a little sunshine into our lives. RIP Walter.

How lovely, RIP Walter.

I think he has just passed away,in the Star Walter of S 6.