The Islam & Muslims discussion megathread

Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?

• Yes, please state why
    • No, people who say this are just thick & ignorant

Turkish Muslims are, in the main, quite liberal and progressive, and prefer a secular government.

Why did they vote for an Islamist government then?

Firstly, the AKP is held to be an Islamist party by its opponents. It actually bills itself as a moderate, centre-right pro-Western party which advocates a liberal market economy and membership within the EU. It's certainly not Islamist to the extent of, say, the Saudi government, or the Taliban.

Secondly, they only won by 46%, which whilst a majority over the other parties, is not a majority of the electorate. In fact, Turkey witnessed its biggest protests ever as the people tried to defend the secular nature of the constitution which was conceived by Atatürk, who is still a much-loved figure in the country.

Good point, I think what he actually meant was 'white'.:roll:

I bet the Australians are thinking the same about the British...sorry, 'white europeans'....

European - 89.3%

Asian - 5.1%

Middle Eastern - 1.2%

South Asian - 1.6%

Aboriginal - 2.3%

Maori - 0.5%

Latino - 0.2% [8]

Most of the estimated 21 million Australians are descended from nineteenth- and twentieth-century European settlers and immigrants, the majority from Great Britain and Ireland.

Demography of Australia

I know it's not really as 'politically serious' as bladesufc1's worry about muslims taking over the world but surely other countries with such a high influx of foreigners must be looking over their shoulders.:help:

BTW, the muslim population only makes 3% of the whole UK populous, I don't think theres any need for panic Just yet. :thumbsup:

why not lets all panic :hihi::hihi:

??? what's your point. Australia have been asking for the UK Europeans to go over ever since we shipped the convicts over. if you had 2 mins and looked on the Australian governments website you'd understand that and would post such rubbish on this thread

why not lets all panic :hihi::hihi:

??? what's your point. Australia have been asking for the UK Europeans to go over ever since we shipped the convicts over. if you had 2 mins and looked on the Australian governments website you'd understand that and would post such rubbish on this thread

It's a rubbish thread though to be fair... a hyped up non-story, like everything else you seem to post.:loopy:

Australia have been asking for the UK Europeans to go over ever since we shipped the convicts over. if you had 2 mins and looked on the Australian governments website you'd understand that and would post such rubbish on this thread

Um, no. The immigrant government has been doing so. The native Australians never once asked for anybody to invade their country and ruin their lives.

It's a rubbish thread though to be fair... a hyped up non-story, like everything else you seem to post.:loopy:

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

not really if you were interested in this then you'd put something half decent down and not ask your mother to type posts for you. and stop trolling :hihi::hihi:

Firstly, the AKP is held to be an Islamist party by its opponents. It actually bills itself as a moderate, centre-right pro-Western party which advocates a liberal market economy and membership within the EU. It's certainly not Islamist to the extent of, say, the Saudi government, or the Taliban.

Secondly, they only won by 46%, which whilst a majority over the other parties, is not a majority of the electorate. In fact, Turkey witnessed its biggest protests ever as the people tried to defend the secular nature of the constitution which was conceived by Atatürk, who is still a much-loved figure in the country.

I know they are not in the same camp as the taleban by a million miles, however they are an islamist party, whatever their PR people claim.

Basically half the turks voted for islamism (another islamist party got around 3%), 20% for the kemalist pro-military faction and 15% for the fascists. The only what we would view as mainstream party to get any find of votes were the conservatives with 5%.

Which is fine, they can vote how they like, it's their country, but they are clearly totally inappropriate sorts to let into the EU (unless we've already left it in which case the EU can do what it likes ditto).

Good point, I think what he actually meant was 'white'.:roll:

I bet the Australians are thinking the same about the British...sorry, 'white europeans'....

European - 89.3%

Asian - 5.1%

Middle Eastern - 1.2%

South Asian - 1.6%

Aboriginal - 2.3%

Maori - 0.5%

Latino - 0.2% [8]

Most of the estimated 21 million Australians are descended from nineteenth- and twentieth-century European settlers and immigrants, the majority from Great Britain and Ireland.

Demography of Australia

I know it's not really as 'politically serious' as bladesufc1's worry about muslims taking over the world but surely other countries with such a high influx of foreigners must be looking over their shoulders.:help:

BTW, the muslim population only makes 3% of the whole UK populous, I don't think theres any need for panic Just yet. :thumbsup:

:roll::roll::roll:

P.s what on earth has this got to do with my Topic??

Nothing as normal

I know they are not in the same camp as the taleban by a million miles, however they are an islamist party, whatever their PR people claim.

Why must the PR people of the other parties be taken as gospel, but the PR people of the AKP be treated as liars?

I think we will have an Islamic party quite soon.

In some ways it is no bad thing because it could act as a pressure valve for muslim kids growing up with a chip on their shoulder.

I would rather fight an Islamic organisation at a democratic poll than with more bombs and war.