The Islam & Muslims discussion megathread

Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does the government bend over backwards for the Muslim community?

• Yes, please state why
    • No, people who say this are just thick & ignorant

I am not really 'genned' up with what is going on but would think Greybeard's signature sums it up

whats wrong with muslim bashing if the cap fits?

I'm not too surprised with the story, I always though most of the "chosen" suicide bombers were picked because they had downs syndrome or some other sad disability. :confused:

I'm not too surprised with the story, I always though most of the "chosen" suicide bombers were picked because they had downs syndrome or some other sad disability. :confused:

huh???

no

they choose people who are either brainwashed into it, or those gullible enough to brainwash into it

whats wrong with muslim bashing if the cap fits?

I assume by bashing you mean in purely a verbal sense.

In the verbal sense it is wrong, in this case because it is taking extreme example and claiming that it is representative of the whole. The argument is simply false, without any need to refer to any moral or political considerations.

It is the same as someone arguing everyone in england is terrorist based on the bombings of David Copeland. Equally false.

By all means call the terrorist perpetrators of the act barbaric and worse, you are right to do so. But don't generalise about Islam on the basis of extremists, because doing so criticises the religion of the people within Islam who are arguing for human rights. Generalisations about Islam and the views arising from those views in the West undermine the influence of liberal Muslims and have a negative effect.

I assume by bashing you mean in purely a verbal sense.

In the verbal sense it is wrong, in this case because it is taking extreme example and claiming that it is representative of the whole. The argument is simply false, without any need to refer to any moral or political considerations.

It is the same as someone arguing everyone in england is terrorist based on the bombings of David Copeland. Equally false.

By all means call the terrorist perpetrators of the act barbaric and worse, you are right to do so. But don't generalise about Islam on the basis of extremists, because doing so criticises the religion of the people within Islam who are arguing for human rights. Generalisations about Islam and the views arising from those views in the West undermine the influence of liberal Muslims and have a negative effect.

I wonder if you would extend the same views to the BNP members.

I wonder if you would extend the same views to the BNP members.

I am sure many who vote for the BNP are misled by the parties propoganda. The same can't be said of Al Quaeda or Combat 18 for that matter, to affiliate yourself with a group like that it is impossible to claim ignorance of what they stand for.

In the case of the BNP it makes it important to raise the anti-semitism and holocaust denial/revisionism of Nick Griffin (for example) when the opportunity arises so people realise that the BNP are not about patriotism. So decisions people make when they go to vote are properly informed.

I am sure many who vote for the BNP are misled by the parties propoganda. The same can't be said of Al Quaeda or Combat 18 for that matter, to affiliate yourself with a group like that it is impossible to claim ignorance of what they stand for.

In the case of the BNP it makes it important to raise the anti-semitism and holocaust denial/revisionism of Nick Griffin (for example) when the opportunity arises so people realise that the BNP are not about patriotism. So decisions people make when they go to vote are properly informed.

Thought not.

After reading THIS I think it should be outlawed.

A GIRL of 15 was tricked into a "telephone marriage" ceremony to a Sheffield man with a mental age of five in a ceremony recognised by sharia (Islamic law).

When the girl arrived from Pakistan expecting to meet the handsome man she had been shown in a photograph, she found that he was 40 years old, unemployed and disabled.

To make matters worse, her mother-in-law decided to exploit her attractive looks by forcing her into prostitution.

The girl's marriage last April was not recognised by the Home Office but was approved by the Islamic Sharia Council in Britain.

Now, the Islamic Sharia Council in Britain has acted against UK law which applies to all UK residents, including Muslims, doesn't it?

One country, one law.

After reading THIS I think it should be outlawed.

A GIRL of 15 was tricked into a "telephone marriage" ceremony to a Sheffield man with a mental age of five in a ceremony recognised by sharia (Islamic law).

When the girl arrived from Pakistan expecting to meet the handsome man she had been shown in a photograph, she found that he was 40 years old, unemployed and disabled.

To make matters worse, her mother-in-law decided to exploit her attractive looks by forcing her into prostitution.

The girl's marriage last April was not recognised by the Home Office but was approved by the Islamic Sharia Council in Britain.

Now, the Islamic Sharia Council in Britain has acted against UK law which applies to all UK residents, including Muslims, doesn't it?

One country, one law.

You are dead right - I am 100% behind you!!!

I'm pleased to see that the BNP aren't doing very well on here in their attempt to make political capital out of such a shocking incident.

The idea that these kinds of 'people' do these things in the name of Islam, so it must therefore be even vaguely representative of Islam is a nonsense - Stalinist East Germany was called the German Democratic Republic. Is someone from the BNP going to claim that it was therefore democratic? :loopy: