Does Sheffield Hate Its Old Buildings?

the problem with sheffield is that some people just really dont like change. the city would look so dull if it was all victorian buildings in the city centre, and the new developments like the winter garden make the city centre more visually interesting. modern architecture can go very well with older stuff, and modern buildings can be beautiful, just look at the stuff built in birmingham. park hill could be a really interesting focal point, if something nice was done to it, and is iconic, whether it is liked or not. that said, sheffield does have some truly hideous buildings, such as kingdom but at least that'll be demolished soon. saying that sheffield hates old buildings is disproved by the use of existing victorian frontings while the interior is redeveloped such as the new h&m on fargate and the zion(?) building off division street.

Tony is right about Chester. The Tudor buildings the tourists love aren't very old. And I was interested to note nick2's reference to the City Hall as one of our landmark buildings.

What I find most fascinating is that architectural hubris wouldn't allow either development to be built today. Both Chester's mock-Tudor designs and the City Hall's neo-classical design were criticised by the "forward-thinkers" of the time. Fast forward a couple of generations and people don't know about that controversy. All they know is that these are attractive buildings that get Japanese and American tourists excited (well, OK, maybe not the City Hall).

The "forward-thinkers" don't like to acknowledge it but modern designs don't do it for people. People like old buildings because they're not bland. Modern architecture is about what's cheapest, which usually means a box.

Now I'm not putting it forward as a serious proposition for fear of lighting the blue touchpaper, but I reckon if Sheffield's new retail quarter was built in a collonaded neo-classical style and Castlegate was rebuilt as a jumble of mediaeval streets, the Sheffielders of 2100 would find themselves rolling in tourist money.

So concrete it is then.

I don't like this embrace of modern glass buildings, which just looks the same as any other cities. I feel that we can be unique, and we don't have to jump onto the band wagon really.

I once picked up a book to browse in Amsterdam on architecture. It was about how a city can be made to look utopic. Meaning that new buildings can be built to blend in with the existing ones. Looking around the city centre, especially near the Fargate area, it's reaching there.

I am really glad that the building next to the Yorkshire Bank on Fargate is preserving the front facade of the building. Same as the building on Trippet Lane. A building with an oldish looking front is being preserved while the back of the building is being gutted structurally.

I suppose this blending is a nicer way to see the whole city, than to adopt the method used by a lot European cities. i.e. an 'old town', 'new town' area. Then again, I suppose they have a lot to preserve within a certain area.

the problem with sheffield is that some people just really dont like change.

I don't think it is this really. I think it's more a case of, "is what's being knocked down going to be replaced with something more worthy ?"

I too don't like something really old being knocked down. Especially when it has hundreds of years of history to it. If it has to be knocked down, the overall city plan better be worth it !

Q. Which Sheffield buildings are being knocked down that have hundreds of year of history... or even hundreds of years of age? :huh:

A. None.

i think it is the case that the older buildings in sheffield still standing after the war bombings were never the most ornate or eye catching even before the destruction...

however, the Cutlers Hall, City Hall and Town Hall each have an outstanding character and position in the City. I dont think many residents will have a large amount of negative things to say about any of them?

:huh: if im wrong, ill go down to the new arundel gate interchange and ill eat my hat.

Q. Which Sheffield buildings are being knocked down that have hundreds of year of history... or even hundreds of years of age? :huh:

A. None.

Isn't that because the Council have already knocked them down?!

For a current example of old buildings under threat, you might want to look at the Bethel Chapel on Cambridge Street and the building on the corner of Cambridge Street and Pinstone Street. Both are due to be demolished to make way for the boxes that will make up the new retail quarter.

If you're asking about buildings with hundredS (ie. 200 or more) years of history, maybe it's the wrong question for Sheffield.

You're right, it is the wrong question. ;) Sheffield has few genuinely old buildings, but I do feel that it's important to stick to reality as "hundreds of years old" was was the statement I queried and it's very misleading.

I'm not certain that there is much of Bethel Chapel left anyway. The outer skin hasn't got much of note to save from what I remember. The other buildings that you mention are certainly interesting but they have a useless footprint for any modern business which is why they are either empty or have a high occupancy churn of 'low quality' businesses. They are effectively past their sell by date. That doesn't mean to say that I won't be a little sad to see them go as they are quite pretty... but they are of no real use any more and obviously stand in the way of a grander scheme.

If you're asking about buildings with hundredS (ie. 200 or more) years of history, maybe it's the wrong question for Sheffield.

I can think of only one in town, - the 'Queen's Head' in Pond hill. The next oldest is probably the Upper Chapel in Norfolk street, which is supposed to be the first brick building in Sheffield built IIRC in 1700, although the present stone facade was added later.

I'd be interested to learn of any others.

I can think of only one in town, - the 'Queen's Head' in Pond hill. The next oldest is probably the Upper Chapel in Norfolk street, which is supposed to be the first brick building in Sheffield built IIRC in 1700, although the present stone facade was added later.

I'd be interested to learn of any others.

sheffield has its old relics. firstly, there is Gayham.

What's not commonly known is that most of Chesters 'Tudor' buildings that you see are actually much much later buildings with frontages in the style of a Tudor building. Much like the 'Jacobethan' housing estates you see nowadays. It's Victorian stick on architecture.

Some things are old, some are good, but I don;t see the point in preserving something simply because its old. We don't save old shoes or food when they are past their useful life. I'm all for keeping good buildings, and allocating money to upkeep them.

Sheffield does have a few genuinely good old buildings, but stuff like the Yorkshire Grey is not good enough to stand in the way of progress. After all, most of those old buildings are replacements for something much earlier.

I would ask another question instead. Why do we get all sentimental about bricks and mortar?

I think this answers your question very neatly;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5254472.stm

I too like Sheffield's feeling of renewal, and that it is trying to better itself, but maybe it needs to be tied in a little better. The winter gardens are great, so why spoil it, by blocking the view with an exceptionally ugly hotel that does not fit in with the architecture around it. I preferred the eggbox - at least it was more interesting.