Virgin media bb speed

Back up to nearly 5mbps now. But I can't get it any higher than that. Upstream speed has sunk to less than 200kbps.

A quick word about Virgin telephone support. Crap.

I called and asked why the sound and video were not synched on some programmes and that I was getting block artefacts on fast changing screen sections. Answer - apparently it's my scart cable....

I called and asked why my download speed was topping out at 5% of its adverstised value. Well according to netstat -a I had more than 9 ports opened and listening, and therefore I was infected with spyware.

I had an engineer come out and inspect the digibox. Engineer failed to use doorbell, so I didn't hear the knock. (no telephone call either). I was left a note saying I was out, and it would cost me £10 for wasting their time.

Is there a cooling off period on 12 month contracts? Or at least a no-fault cancellation period.

5 years with blueyonder, and had less issues with them in all that time than I have had with Virgin in the last 14 days.

It does not bode well.

Back to full speed now - 180 MB downloaded in 3 minutes - let's hope it lasts

:):cool::)

With the very aggresive marketing recently, I would guess they get lots more customers. Possibly more than is ideal for the bit of network someone may be on.

Is that the marketing that said unlimited downloads are not capped unlike their rivals?

My Virgin Media 2 meg broadband connection speed seems to be really slow today. I tested it a few times and the highest download speed was 512 kbps, and this was the latest

122959338.png

I've noticed very slow speeds for the last few weeks not just the last few days. The really weird part of this is we have two Mac's on OSX and a PC on windows XP, all running slow but the PC is also running Ubuntu and managing to maintain a normal 2meg.:loopy:

Is that the marketing that said unlimited downloads are not capped unlike their rivals?

That'll be the one :hihi:

ive been on to vm today they give me this site to check my speed gamefiles.virginmedia.co.uk your meant to download a game file to check speed on 2 meg ur meant to get between 240-250 which i got the same speed most of the day but then try to download from some were else a totally different story ie 40k sec, so not convinced the speeds are correct.but what else can i do ?

that basically means the speeds between you and your host (virgin media) are what you should be getting -- so by rights you are on the correct speed.... if your getting slower speeds from else where its either where your downloading from that is slow, or virgins routing to that location sucks...

I'm now on 256k .... when is my 4mb speed going to come back?!?! :suspect:

And my supposed 10Mb is now back to 3Mb again - it really sucks ......

:gag::rant::huh:

2mb? do you mean 200kb download on 2 meg connection thats good init Not often I can max out on 10meg

I usually max out both my old 4mb and now 10mb connection when downloading with Firefox Downloadthemall or IDM.

A note for people testing their bandwidth with speedtest.net

Last night I was getting slow speeds too around 247 kb/s - but if I put something in my download manager I would still get 1.2mb/s out of it. Kind of odd really.