Virgin media bb speed

That petition is a bit daft to be honest started by someone who doesn't appear to understand the technology and the costs involved with running an ISP. Most people aren't willing to pay enough for their broadband to enable companies to make the necessary investment in infrastructure to be able to offer guaranteed bandwidth - it would be very, very expensive and even then not entirely practical. SLAs (Service Level Agreements) cost a lot of money for a reason, they cost a lot to implement.

That petition is a bit daft to be honest started by someone who doesn't appear to understand the technology and the costs involved with running an ISP. Most people aren't willing to pay enough for their broadband to enable companies to make the necessary investment in infrastructure to be able to offer guaranteed bandwidth - it would be very, very expensive and even then not entirely practical. SLAs (Service Level Agreements) cost a lot of money for a reason, they cost a lot to implement.

For me it's more to do with getting the ISPs to stop their crafty advertising and tell the truth about exactly what people will get for their money.

:suspect::|:suspect:

What exactly is crafty about saying that you can get up to x mbit and the service is contended at x:1 ratio? They can't tell you exactly what you are going to get as they don't know :)

That's probably why Virgin have gone towards the M, L and XL packages as it's not specifying a speed then in the package title. As residential package max speeds get higher then you'll be able to reach the maximum speed less and less - that's just the nature of the technology. Maximum speeds will be more like burstable maximums.

What exactly is crafty about saying that you can get up to x mbit and the service is contended at x:1 ratio? They can't tell you exactly what you are going to get as they don't know :)

That's probably why Virgin have gone towards the M, L and XL packages as it's not specifying a speed then in the package title. As residential package max speeds get higher then you'll be able to reach the maximum speed less and less - that's just the nature of the technology. Maximum speeds will be more like burstable maximums.

All I know is is that the service has gone downhill - If you think that's OK don't sign the petition - nobody ever got anything by not complaining.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not saying it hasn't gone downhill, I'm saying the petition is incorrect. Of course you should complain if you aren't happy with a service and you have a valid reason but the person who started the petition doesn't appear to fully understand the issue, the ISPs aren't doing anything wrong in selling a contended package as up to X mbit. ISPs have to mention a speed on the package (even if like Virgin you rebrand them similar to M, L and XL) as people still need some way of differentiating and assessing their connections.

I'll sign it, no where in my contract was throttling mentioned in fact they made a point out of saying that unlike other ISP's they had and had no intention of bringing in download limits or reducing your connection by 50% if you downloaded at the max for twenty minutes after 4 pm