Virgin media bb speed

I didn't think the 20Meg upgrades had happened yet? Is it easy to check?

Edit - found it - no 20meg in Sheffield yet http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Angelus - how are you reckoning on having a 20meg line? Some kind of trial? Or a business line?

Just been told by Virgin Media - 11th May should be done :D

We have cable so it should be through there.

I'm on 10 Mb and have been getting less than half this for the past few days - Sheffield 5 area - never known it as bad ........ :(

Checked ours - and its showing a download limit of 250kbps!!!

Nowhere near 10mb and 20mb speed.

Sorry, but under the terms of the contract - I should be on 10mb all the time - thats what I pay £35+ for a month.. if I am not on 10mb period every month then I'm wanting a refund per month.

Will be speaking to VM tuesday morning at length about this.

at this rate ill be investing in a modem for dial up, oh those were the days lol

at this rate ill be investing in a modem for dial up, oh those were the days lol

30 - 35 mins for one mp3 :hihi:

Good times :D

...say theres the people who work, 9am till 5pm, they can only do their downloading between 6pm till mid night, obviously because they work... -- say they wish to download a Linux Distribution - these can hit 4GB Easile, especially the DVD releases... say they are a gamer, just reinstall World Of Warcraft for example, the download size for the update is about 2.5GB.. or say they installed Guild Wars, they download the Guild Wars file (which totals about 3.3GB) - these are before they even start playing a a game....

Schedule the download to complete overnight.

So your speed wont then be throttled and everyone else sharing same pipe as you doesn't get slowed down during the peak hours - which is exactly why throttlingn is done. So everyone gets equal share.

I'm supposed to be on 4MB and I'm getting 512k at the moment. Last night I was on 1MB.

NOT HAPPY. I'll be phoning virgin in the morning. :shakes:

Edit: Looks like they know about it already, theres a call listed for the Yorkshire region being slow on the status page.

whats equal share got to do with it, never had problems like this in the past.

whats equal share got to do with it, never had problems like this in the past.

With the very aggresive marketing recently, I would guess they get lots more customers. Possibly more than is ideal for the bit of network someone may be on.

Dont complain

we pay two pound more for twice the speed. ( 20 meg line )

apart from the time between 4pm and 4am ( if you get hit twice with the cap in one night )

in which case you pay £2 more for 12 hours of 20 meg and 8 hours of 5 meg :huh:

Takeing into account 2 x 2 hour slots to hit the 3gb at a good speed :hihi:

makes you wish they just stuck to the 10 meg we got now 24/7 and maybe give us a bit more upload speed

Virgin have 'scheduled maintenance' which is causing slow speeds.

My 10mbps conn is down to 700kbps max atm.

They said it would be done by midnight. Which is now & speed is now up to 1mbps .....

im currently using GPRS (56k) via my mobile/bluetooth, as our cable has been down for over a week - (billing issues tho)

Schedule the download to complete overnight.

So your speed wont then be throttled and everyone else sharing same pipe as you doesn't get slowed down during the peak hours - which is exactly why throttlingn is done. So everyone gets equal share.

and leave the PC on over night? and the end result? costing me more in electricity??? -- we pay for 10/20mb thats what we should get, weather we use that one day per week or 24 hours/day 7 days/week... and Its not about sharing the same pipe as others, thats DSL, cable doesnt work in the same way, its the servers at Virgins end, X number of people per server/router - this way they dont have to invest in network upgrades and more servers....

I also wonder about Cable TV, with the HD Channels etc, how much 'bandwidth' is that taking up? it is all coming down the same cable afterall...

Sorry, but under the terms of the contract - I should be on 10mb all the time - thats what I pay £35+ for a month.. if I am not on 10mb period every month then I'm wanting a refund per month.

totally agree.... we should be getting what we pay for.. not paying more for less..

with 20mb connection you can hit 3GB in less than 30 minutes, and you might not even realise you hit that ammount...

I have just put a complaint through to BBC Watchdog, online via http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/ -- I would ask that many other people do the same, if they do then it is more likley to be looked into.. ;)