Jump to content

Why is it so hard to get a doctors appointment?

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, davyboy said:

You have no idea.

This part of Kent  has fewer doctors per head of population than  most of the UK.

You can't just walk into a surgery and get on their list.

New comers to the area have to wait for months to get the nearest surgery .

You are blooming lucky mate.

Wow..well  to be honest it seems like I am one of the lucky ones. Sorry you guys dont have the kind of GP's I clearly seem to be fortunate to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be an online booking system and patients should be charged if they don’t turn up.  To get an appointment at my doctors you have to try to get through the  8 .00 am scramble, if i do get through and there are actually any appointments left, the receptionist will hurriedly offer a late morning appointment which will mean taking the whole morning off work for a 10 minute appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there are various contributory factors but it can't be helped by nearly 2/3 rds of GPs being female and 80% of these female GPs working part time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Doubtful said:

I'm sure there are various contributory factors but it can't be helped by nearly 2/3 rds of GPs being female and 80% of these female GPs working part time.

Hmmm, a quick google reveals that 54% of gps are female and 61% are part time.  And apparently the gps most likely to be planning to reduce their hours are male gps in their 30s and 40s.  And who can blame them? I would rather see a gp with a sustainable work life balance than an overworked full time gp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28 January 2020 at 07:21, redruby said:

There should be an online booking system and patients should be charged if they don’t turn up.  To get an appointment at my doctors you have to try to get through the  8 .00 am scramble, if i do get through and there are actually any appointments left, the receptionist will hurriedly offer a late morning appointment which will mean taking the whole morning off work for a 10 minute appointment.

our G.P surgery has online booking which works really well, it's a busy place with several doctors and plenty of appointment slots,  you can also order medication it does make it so  much easier, 

 

A few years  ago when I couldn't  get an appointment at my G.P I was given a same day appointment  at the Crookes hub made by my G.P receptionist 

 

http://www.primarycaresheffield.org.uk/extended-access/patients/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For about a year My GP ran early morning appointments from 7am, I used this regularly when I was working and always got a next day slot. This was stopped as there were not enough takers to make it viable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S13 seems to have major problems.  Someone posted on the S13 FB page today:

 

Quote

189 attempts to get through to Richmond medical centre just to be told they have no more appointments for today grrrrrrrr

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

S13 seems to have major problems.  Someone posted on the S13 FB page today:

 

 

189 attempts sounds a bit fanciful

 

No doubt they might need an appointment for RSI after that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steve68 said:

189 attempts sounds a bit fanciful

 

No doubt they might need an appointment for RSI after that!

It certainly does.

 

If we are talking and average working day the said poster is seriously trying to suggest that they rang continuously for a minimum of 27 times each hour all working day. 

 

If we are talking less than a full working day it will be even more calls per hour than that.

 

I don't think so.   People just love to moan for moaning sake.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It certainly does.

 

If we are talking and average working day the said poster is seriously trying to suggest that they rang continuously for a minimum of 27 times each hour all working day. 

 

If we are talking less than a full working day it will be even more calls per hour than that.

 

I don't think so.   People just love to moan for moaning sake.  

You are a bit harsh on AlchResearch.

I have punched the redial on my mobile ,as far as I can recall,

146 times  before I got through to the surgery.

My wife was using  the landline at the same time with no success.

A lady with an ill child redialled 120 times before she got through not on the same day as me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.