Why is it so hard to get a doctors appointment?

It is always a week to get in to see my dr, if you want to see a specific one it is more like 2 weeks or more, when you do get there i have never met anyone less interested in what i have to say (and its not only me by the way i have spooke to others who get the same treatment), one of them almost falls asleep, not only that but you have to repeat everything you say at least 3 times... all you get by response is ummm? and a bored look, it really is disgusting and drives me mad, i am considering moving drs now i have had enough of the 2nd rate service :rant:

Yeah I know, there's a Dr ******* up at Stannington Surgery, who also works at Greenhow Street Surgery in Walkley, and she's very popular with the old biddies, in fact most of them won't see anyone else.

My Dad's family used to have her for everything when they were alive, nowadays there's unfortunately only my Dad and his twin sister left of immediate family on his side :(

.... unfortunately only my Dad and his twin sister left of immediate family on his side :(

Don't you count as immediate family, then?

Don't you count as immediate family, then?

Yeah but I meant from his own family.

I tried to get a Doctor's appointment last Tuesday, the first one they had was next Thursday, so I have to wait 9 days to see someone, its a good job I'm not very sick.

If you ring up our GP's surgery at 8.30am, you are guaranteed an appointment that morning, for afternoon ones you ring up after lunchtime but are always guaranteed one the same day.

It wasn't always like this though, they changed to this system about a year ago and it seems to be working far better than the old one where you had to be able to see into your crystal ball and see when you werre gonna be sick and pre book your appointment. :rolleyes:

It's all the benifit scroungers taking up the appointments trying to convince the doctors that they have a disability when they are infact fine!

I tried to get a Doctor's appointment last Tuesday, the first one they had was next Thursday, so I have to wait 9 days to see someone, its a good job I'm not very sick.

If this is true then they are failing the charter that all surgeries operate under. They are obliged to see you within 2 days of you making contact.

if you find the anser tell us all lol i just go to the walk in center its a lot fater my doctors is just a wast of space

If this is true then they are failing the charter that all surgeries operate under. They are obliged to see you within 2 days of you making contact.

I would be interested in reading this charter that states you are obliged to be seen within 2 days. Can you tell me where I might access this?

It's not an obligatory charter. Doctors can sign up for the "Access Enhanced Service" to get extra money for seeing patients within 48 hours.

If you want to know whether your practice signs up to the "Access Enhanced Service", ask the practice manager. If you are not satisfied with the time it takes to get an appointment, ask for a copy of their complaints procedure.

I love it when you ring the surgery to ask to see a Dr and the receptionist asks what's wrong with you. I normally answer with, If I knew that, I wouldn't waste the doctors time.