Anyone from Gleadless?

Originally posted by young_prr

Hi thanks for all the replies

My Dad (Peter Reaney) died in 1998 so it was kind of weird but just Googled his name and this came up and thought i'd post a note but no-one would reply, thanks especially for the photo link that is really, really cool.

Cheers

I am very sorry to hear about Peter dying. My condolences!

Take it from me that he was a gutsy kid, loyal as a friend and 'being cheeky' was about as misbehaved as he got.

I recall us both setting off for Rotherham one day - we were about 13 - on foot, with sandwiches and a map. Where did we end up? BEIGHTON!! Didn't have a clue where Rotherham or Beighton were, so assumed we hadn't wandered too far off course.:( We used the few pennies we had on us to get a bus back....ended up in Pond Street....and had to walk back to the Valley.

Like idiots, we told our respective mums about our adventures....and got grounded:mad: They thought we were only going to Graves Park!! God knows what the map was of...knowing us, it was probably of Birmingham!!!

Great days young_prr, made better by the friendship of your late dad:thumbsup:

Keep reading the Forum, and I'll try to recall some other 'adventures' / 'misadventures' for you.

Originally posted by young_prr

Hi thanks for all the replies

My Dad (Peter Reaney) died in 1998 so it was kind of weird but just Googled his name and this came up and thought i'd post a note but no-one would reply, thanks especially for the photo link that is really, really cool.

Cheers

Really very sorry to hear about Peter. I remember him clearly and the time that we were mates was great. As I said in my mail to you I have a photo of Peter at Rollestone school and will gladly email you with it when I search it out. I would be interested to know what he did through his life.

Regards and sincere condolence. Nice Guy!!

Originally posted by playman

399Leighton did you live upstairs near the ords or downstairs ? we used to play football on the garages opposite the wyvern and when old enough went in the wyvern when horace had it, then was it john williams after horace ? did neely live on middle hay rise ? we used to live opposite the quarry on middle hay place, our family went to school with the ords.

We used to play footie with all the lads off the spotswoods i remember the crockers and tony slack. I remember them building the church and going down and mucking around on the site.

Hi,

Yes did all the football thing. Had one of the garages later.

Remember Tony Slack, and the Crockers, Neil and Keith Sykes.

Lived downstairs and knocked around with the Ords.

Horaces son Stan had the Wyvern.

I know the Ords went to St Pauls Catholic School, and I believe that Mick, sadly gone now, married Carol Booker, brother was Phil.

At some point Mick used to see June Leaper who lived in the houses on the bank above the maisonettes. Stephen Hill on the block after the Wyvern was once married to my Cousin.

Also remember Chris and Darryyl Gardener and Martin Laycock

Originally posted by DaBouncer

Hey I know Mr Dunn. Was my headmaster at Valley.

Top bloke actually.

Cool !! I think he's a top bloke too!!

:clap:

Originally posted by Shiesh

My father in law Mr Dunn was the Headmaster at Gleadless Valley up until it's closure!!

Your dad taught me, a really good bloke!

I was born in 1958 and we lived on Constable Road, Gleadless Valley. I went to Hemsworth County Junior and Infant School from 1962 to 1968 then we moved to Gleadless and I went to what was then Thornbridge Comprehensive School. My favourite teacher at school was Mr Turville - anyone remember him?

We moved to Gleadless in 72.I was 10 so Iloved having a house with 3 floors.

The green family Spring Close Mount 96.Anyone remember welived next door to the Kennedys brothers Alan and Jim.

I live in Holland so I am very curious how it is there now .Are the houses still standing.

REmember there was alot of woods around had great time there as a child.

Herdings junior school does it still exist did anybody go there?

I lived in Gleadless from 1958 to 1980 with breaks living abroad. I get back to Sheffield now and again. It's a shame to see the Valley as it is. I remember just about everyone mentioned, and most were friends and schoolmates. I learn't of Peter Reaney's sad passing and I often wonder if I will ever bump into anyone again.

I lived on Leighton Rd. Went to Rollestone and Matthews Lane, used to walk there and back every day, other people I remember are Paul Fisher, Eric Pashley, Dave Rodgers, Ken Gill Les Cunningham. Lynn Ward The Sykes Brothers. Lorraine Transfield, (WoW). Lorraine Askam, Christine Goodlad, Pamela Hewitt. Etc Etc.

Is there anyone out there!!!

Originally posted by expat

We moved to Gleadless in 72.I was 10 so Iloved having a house with 3 floors.

The green family Spring Close Mount 96.Anyone remember welived next door to the Kennedys brothers Alan and Jim.

I live in Holland so I am very curious how it is there now .Are the houses still standing.

REmember there was alot of woods around had great time there as a child.

Herdings junior school does it still exist did anybody go there?

herdings school merged with constable roadschool, recently, and a new school was built on the site of herdings school.

it's now called "Valley Park Primary".

I had a maisonette on Leighton rd, for a while, but it was not pleasant at that time, with the anti social element that we had next door.

Yes, the wonderful thing about the design of the Valley, and the buildings that were put up was that they used the beautiful natural landscape and woodland, and the estate won loads of awards for the design.

it was lovely, growing up on the Valley. really idyllic. I was there from birth to the age of 10, moving off there, in 1974.

It ws a huge pity that the estate was permitted to go to rack and ruin, with the druggies and "Undesireables".

PT

gleadless valley was such a gr8 area to grow up in. gr8 pl gr8 places.. soo much fun!

Originally posted by 399Leighton

Lorraine Transfield, (WoW). Lorraine Askam, Is there anyone out there!!!

Oh yeah, remember them both well:thumbsup:

My tiny legs often went to jelly because of those two:heyhey: