Anyone from Gleadless?

Oh I haven't forgot about you jim in fact I mentioned you to my misses the other said that you was the one that came down to my house to take me up to the youth club to cheer me up after my mum died when I was jut a young lad and I always remember our days of playing for moorland juniors if u remember when mr Brooke's was our manager and the day we went on bus to deep car and won 8-3 because I remember it well because I scored 2 goals and you scored 4-5 goals keep intouch pal ps you can remember Alan Clark he was just 19 when he died I used. To be in the cutters with mr and mrs Clark it was so sad for them and me

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Hi grappler yea I used to knock about with kev hopwood but bless him he died when he was about 50

Hiya pal, yes that was it, Kev, and what a shame that is, to go so young. I hung around with Steve Hopwood for a while (hoppy), he was a couple of years older than me.

---------- Post added 15-05-2014 at 13:21 ----------

Oh I haven't forgot about you jim in fact I mentioned you to my misses the other said that you was the one that came down to my house to take me up to the youth club to cheer me up after my mum died when I was jut a young lad and I always remember our days of playing for moorland juniors if u remember when mr Brooke's was our manager and the day we went on bus to deep car and won 8-3 because I remember it well because I scored 2 goals and you scored 4-5 goals keep intouch pal ps you can remember Alan Clark he was just 19 when he died I used. To be in the cutters with mr and mrs Clark it was so sad for them and me

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Hi grappler yea I used to knock about with kev hopwood but bless him he died when he was about 50

I used to sometimes knock about with Clarky as well, and I remember him dying. He went down to the Limit Club in its early days, not been open long, I am sure he had run away from Borstal, because I was only about 15/16 years old, in the Limit, and in walked two plain clothes policemen (who stuck out a mile) and I didn't want to get caught, so Alan said something like, "they won't notice you, don't worry", and he went over to the DJ.

Next thing, the DJ is playing "Borstal Breakout" by Sham 69 and Clarky was singing along :hihi:

Now fair play to you Ray, I don't think you ever called me by my nickname which I didn't particularly like anyway.

Of course I remember Mr Brookes (Tom if I remember correctly) and his son Barry. Can't remember going to Deepcar (ROFL)

Now the lad you mentioned? Did he have a nickname? Good footballer and he seemed very fit, if its the one I'm thinking of but I can't think of his nickname at the moment but it will come to me.

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:27 ----------

Ray, if you post 5 times I think you can send and receive private messages.

I would love to hear from you directly and get yours and other peoples email addresses, I'm dying to hear news and reminisce about the old times, I really miss all my old mates.

If that's Ray Rhodes off the Valley I've known you for decades.

---------- Post added 15-05-2014 at 14:01 ----------

Clarky died in Dave Bordens house on Chippinghouse Road I was the one who found him dead...

---------- Post added 15-05-2014 at 14:02 ----------

I didn't know Kev Hopwood was dead.

If that's Ray Rhodes off the Valley I've known you for decades.

---------- Post added 15-05-2014 at 14:01 ----------

Clarky died in Dave Bordens house on Chippinghouse Road I was the one who found him dead...

---------- Post added 15-05-2014 at 14:02 ----------

I didn't know Kev Hopwood was dead.

Rays username is "Rhodes" i'm an old mate of his

Nice to know the wyvern is still going strong, spent many many hours in there many many years ago, horace williams was the landlord back then, lots of boozy nights playing darts, dominos & crib.

Come on Ray Rhodes, I need some email addresses from you

Just seen this topic as I was browsing the site.

I lived on the valley in the 60's/70's on overend drive and went to Mathews lane then central tech and knocked about the groom.

hi marie we lived on the valley since 1960 and some still do we lived on blackstock rd above the groom our is Belk here's the main family there was my dad Charlie belk my mum kath, me steven, my sister susan, my 2 brothers Michael, and finally david we all as kids went on to gleadless valley sec, and we all started off at bankwood our susan was the last to leave she lives near crystal peak and the other on bankwood Michael lives down the cliff and david still on the valley, as for me I now live in chesterfield keep in touch if you want to know any thing else regards steve x

Anyone else remember walking to heeley baths, down past holy cross church, down banking to spotswood rd, across blackstock and down onto bottom path, the path went between bankwood and the tip, then through the woods to the allotments then down onto albert rd crossing chesterfield rd, under bridge and round over the river onto broadfield rd past the dairy to the baths, then the long walk back, sometimes diverting via meersbrook park and anywhere else to explore.

You mention the Tip Playman, what a terrible thing to put right next to a school and in doing so, the council destroyed what could have remained a nice little meadow by the brook.

I remember getting freezing cold milk from the machine outside Express Dairy just down from the baths - yep we walked there many times. Do you remember all the kids cluttering up the footbath because it was warmer than the main pool. Mr Wall was the pool attendant.

Mr Wall with his wooden yard stick which he used to keep any kids from grabbing the sides of the pool!

I was doing my 100 yds. 1st 25yds no problem but then I had to go back up the pool but away from the side and I was bricking it. So I tried to stay close to the side instead but kept coliding with kids coming the other way but I pressed on until I was unceremoniously shoved into the deep by a one Mr Wall and his big stick. I floundered and he had to hook me out of the pool. Teacher Mr Schofield was livid ha ha

Mr Schofield with his huge ginger handlebar moustache. Crikey you are making memories come back here :)