Anyone from Gleadless?

Hi, Richard E - Spotswood Close Girl here - also proud of it. (No.3 of 4 from No. 29). :)

Hi, Richard E - Spotswood Close Girl here - also proud of it. (No.3 of 4 from No. 29). :)

Hello Laurie!!!!!

oh my god, blast from the past Richard. Sarah Malone here. Rays lorry was so much fun. funny how thinking about it can bring back so many memories. back then when we all lived there it was so fab. never realised it at the time tho. its not the same anymore, never will be.

seem to remember Pete being in a band years back called lasrevinu. is that right, rings a bell as remember it was universal spelt backwards. I have moved from sheffield and now live in barlborough. but am sad to say that my children will never have the kind of childhood that we had. was so free and so much fun. everyone knew everyone and the sun always seemed to shine.

Hi Chris, how are you? not been on here for so long. only looked today out of curiousity. hope you well. xx

Hi Sarah, I'd be interested to know of any memories (and particularly photos) you may have of Lasrevinu - I was the bass player (Steve), the drummer was Bill Buxton (who lived on Norfolk Park but is now in Woodhouse) and the guitarist/singer was my Brother-In-Law Mark Taylor (originally from Parson Cross but more latterly in Handsworth) who sadly died in 2010. There was a feature on him in the Star a couple of weeks ago as he would have been 50 years old and his friends and family released balloons around the world on the day.......

We only played 5 gigs over 1983/84 - 3 times at the Crucible, once at the Nelson Mandela Building at the Poly and once at Sheff Univ Students Union (The Maze...?) but got pretty good reviews everywhere we played. We were pretty different at the time....

I don't know who 'Pete' was but he wasn't in Lasrevinu. Bands of the time that I remember in Sheffield were Vicious Circles; PALIS; They Must Be Russians; The Flying Alphonso Brothers; The Mirror Crack'd; Ton Tons Macoute; In The Nursery, Vendino Pact, Tsi-Tsa, Clock DV8. Pulp were also kicking about at the time..... Then of course there were Cabaret Voltaire, ABC, Heaven 17 and The Human League and Comsat Angels (Lasrevinu used their old rehearsal room on Denby Street after our Love Street studio got closed down).

If you've got any info/pics/memories of Lasrevinu I'd be grateful if you got in touch via here or pm me.....

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Sarah, I'd be interested to know of any memories (and particularly photos) you may have of Lasrevinu - I was the bass player (Steve), the drummer was Bill Buxton (who lived on Norfolk Park but is now in Woodhouse) and the guitarist/singer was my Brother-In-Law Mark Taylor (originally from Parson Cross but more latterly in Handsworth) who sadly died in 2010. There was a feature on him in the Star a couple of weeks ago as he would have been 50 years old and his friends and family released balloons around the world on the day.......

We only played 5 gigs over 1983/84 - 3 times at the Crucible, once at the Nelson Mandela Building at the Poly and once at Sheff Univ Students Union (The Maze...?) but got pretty good reviews everywhere we played. We were pretty different at the time....

I don't know who 'Pete' was but he wasn't in Lasrevinu. Bands of the time that I remember in Sheffield were Vicious Circles; PALIS; They Must Be Russians; The Flying Alphonso Brothers; The Mirror Crack'd; Ton Tons Macoute; In The Nursery, Vendino Pact, Tsi-Tsa, Clock DV8. Pulp were also kicking about at the time..... Then of course there were Cabaret Voltaire, ABC, Heaven 17 and The Human League and Comsat Angels (Lasrevinu used their old rehearsal room on Denby Street after our Love Street studio got closed down).

If you've got any info/pics/memories of Lasrevinu I'd be grateful if you got in touch via here or pm me.....

Cheers,

Steve

My multi talented brother Peter (Eason) was not in the above band but did feature in The Negatives and Yah Boo!

His most successful band was Person To Person with both Jeremy Meek and Dave Clayton(Simply Red) no less

His sons now play with The Bluehearts in Sheffield

Pete still sings, obviously, with The Wildcats!!!

Edited by richarde

mesage for merlina noticed you mentioned wendy&catherine oats.are you aware wendy sadly passed away recently .

Wife ,Constable Road left 1971

Quote Richarde "My multi talented brother Peter (Eason) was not in the above band but did feature in The Negatives and Yah Boo!

His most successful band was Person To Person with both Jeremy Meek and Dave Clayton(Simply Red) no less

His sons now play with The Bluehearts in Sheffield

Pete still sings, obviously, with The Wildcats!!!"

Hi Rich, Was talking about you, Pete and Your Mom N Dad the other day with Sheila.

Sorry to hear about your Dad's illness, we had another family friend who suffered with that for 16yrs. I did the Sheffield 10k run for the Society in 2009 - don't know how I did it as hadn't been road running before but I did it in 72minutes (I know not great but not snail speed I expected either:)) was proud to raise £600 too.

Sheila was telling me Pete's lads were in a band too, you might know I didn't catch their name - lol. Good to hear that Pete's still singing too. I always loved Reputation, he did with Person to Person. I remember them being on the TV one Saturday morning, damned shame they didn't make it fully.

If you see anything of him send him my warm regards please - you too Rich.

Seasons Greetings to you and yours X

hi my names steven belk, we moved on the estate from pitsmoor in 1960 in april 1960 me my 2 brothers and 1 . there names were michael. and david and my sister susan, we all stayed there untill we started work, when we moved on the valley we couldn't believe how great it was all grass, trees and woodland we would often go to the stream to see if we could find any thing but alas no there were frogs and lots of frog spawn there were thousands of them we woud take as much as we could carry in any container we could find we had loads of these tiny animals put them in a wash bowl untill they hatched we did have some success and reared them to adulthood bot most perishished we were proud parents for a couple of week, the odd newt was il there were people coming from all over europe to see what a great job the council, had done the best in britain, i'm afraid it's gone adrift since the 90s, it wants bringingback to what it was like. don't let idiots destroy a model estaste, like i said at the begining we moved there in 1960 and some of the family still live there, I am the eldest Belk of that genaration left my dad charley, diein in 1999 and mum died in december last year

I remeber your Mick and your mum she always seemed a lovely lady,she talked to my mother on Newfield shops all the time.

hi my names steven belk, we moved on the estate from pitsmoor in 1960 in april 1960 me my 2 brothers and 1 . there names were michael. and david and my sister susan, we all stayed there untill we started work, when we moved on the valley we couldn't believe how great it was all grass, trees and woodland we would often go to the stream to see if we could find any thing but alas no there were frogs and lots of frog spawn there were thousands of them we woud take as much as we could carry in any container we could find we had loads of these tiny animals put them in a wash bowl untill they hatched we did have some success and reared them to adulthood bot most perishished we were proud parents for a couple of week, the odd newt was il there were people coming from all over europe to see what a great job the council, had done the best in britain, i'm afraid it's gone adrift since the 90s, it wants bringingback to what it was like. don't let idiots destroy a model estaste, like i said at the begining we moved there in 1960 and some of the family still live there, I am the eldest Belk of that genaration left my dad charley, diein in 1999 and mum died in december last year

Didn't you live down near the Horse and Groom area?

Hi Steve, I was in your class in both juniors and seniors. Have you seen the class photo with you on it that I posted on Friend Reunited. It was Mrs Barretts class, J3. You're on the back row near Peter Reaney.

If you've not got it I'll send a copy on for you if you want.

If Joe the Cobbler had a small shop off Division St then my dad took me there once when he collected his repaired shoes.

I started to use it myself, taking my cowboy boots in for new soles and heels. I wore them for around 6 years and always went back to Joe's. To be certain; did he wear a caliper?

If so then my dad knew the guy and we lived on Landseer near you Judy.

I remember Jimmy Clitheroe once visiting his agent's home. We waited outside near to his big car to get a glimpse of him. I'd seen him in panto knocking cricket balls of dough into the audience.

I went to Hemsworth and left the same year as Mr. Clifford did. The HT was a nice old bloke called Beresford who taught us English grammar and the use of gender which I can't see how it applies to this day.

Turville [posts 79 and 240] arrived as I left and I learned from his previous school that he was a right bas-ard.

We did country dancing in after school club with Miss. Marshall. Seems hard to believe today when you look at how kids aren't allowed to be kids anymore.

I remember the rope swings in the woods and the massive drops into the stream if you got stuck dangling in the middle. There was a lad called Gary Boxall who was the only person to ever hang and drop from the Bridge just down from the school.

He was also fearless at climbing any tree. I remember him bouncing up and down on a rotten branch trying to snap it. He did. And came crashing down with it!

There were the Mosley and Burnett brothers. The former had a dad who drove a lorry and cracked all the paving outside their house parking it. The others had an uncle who had a farm.

There were the Brownalls who were a big family. Gary Stokoe had part of his ear cut off by his mother when she gave him a hair cut. Keith Whitehead had a collection of war memorabilia worth about £250 in those days. Kipper Lynch was never out of the phone box at he corner.

I remember a neighbour getting a bright red Triumph Herald and it was about one of four cars in the street.

Norton water tower had an open day and we climbed up to the top and couldn't believe the height or the view. Bagshaw's land was all private and there to be explored. Lightwood Lane too. Saturday mornings was the Gaumont Cinema.

The fairs used to come to the Oaks Park and only the big boys could go on the dodgems.

They were halcyon days of long ago. Everyone had a job, a future, an apprenticeship to go to. There must have been crime but not here. There must have been drugs too but somewhere else. Kids did get a clip round the ear, a neighbour could tell you off and we didn't do it again.

We nicked apples not car stereos. We smashed conkers not car windows. A fight was a one on one with fists and ended there. We got married and made a go of it because morals dictated it was the right thing to do.

It wasn't us that started the rot. We worked hard without the labour saving machinery of today and were better, fitter people for it. Since our time the plot has been lost. But the seeds of decay weren't sewn by us in our time. We had it much better but then we were a much better caring community.

Just where has it all gone wrong?