Anyone from Gleadless?

Hello anyone here from Gleadless Valley from 1962 to 1970 if so send message :D:banana::headbang::wave::roll:

Nope from Gleadless Valley 1978 - 1999

they have to be some one in this forum who was living in gleadless valley from 1962 to 1970 :D

I live in the Charnock area which is a stones throw from Gleadless Valley but didn't move here until early 80's tho.

I always liked the estate and used to drive round hoping to find a house for sale, which seemed a rarity then. I knew it was a good place to live if no-one wanted to move away!

We moved to the gleadless valley in 1961 and the family home is still there, what used to be the showpiece of europe is now in the same decline as the rest of sheffield, all the same pubs are still there minus the G V wmc which is now a jehovas witness hall.

we used to have a good saturday night starting in the wyvern, on to the far lees, up to the cutlers, the the wine lodge, stopping off at the nailmakers before heading for the john'o'gaunt, down to the horse & groom before staggering up to the blackstock then back to the wyvern for the last orders.

HI I LIVED ON THE GLEADLESS VALLEY FROM 1956 UNTIL 1967 FIRST ON BLACKSTOCK RD AND THEN MOVED TO GAUNT RD IN 1962. IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO GROW UP WITH PLENTY OF GREENERY IN GRAVES PARK ETC.

I WENT TO GLEADLESS VALLEY SEC AND REMEMBER MOST OF THE

TEACHERS ROACH,HUGHES (HEAD),CLAYTON, SMEDLEY,PROCTOR(WITH HEARING AID)AND UPERDINE. IT WAS BRAND NEW WHEN I STARTED SADLEY IT IS NOW KNOCKED DOWN MADE WAY FOR LUXURY HOUSES.

AS FOR THE REST OF THE VALLEY WHEN I DRIVE THROUGH IT IS IN A STATE OF DECLINE WHAT WAS ONCE A SHOWPIECE HOUSING ESTATE, WERE VISITORS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD CAME TO VIEW IT IS BECOMING AN EYESORE WITH MANY HOUSES AND FLATS BEEN KNOCKED DOWN.

My family lived in Gleadless for a while. We moved there in 1982 and lived there for about 10 yrs or so. We lived on Hollinsend Road, right at the bottom of Gleadless Common in the detached house across from the new Inn pub.

Originally posted by THOMPSON

HI I LIVED ON THE GLEADLESS VALLEY FROM 1956 UNTIL 1967 FIRST ON BLACKSTOCK RD AND THEN MOVED TO GAUNT RD IN 1962. IT WAS A GREAT PLACE TO GROW UP WITH PLENTY OF GREENERY IN GRAVES PARK ETC.

I WENT TO GLEADLESS VALLEY SEC AND REMEMBER MOST OF THE

TEACHERS ROACH,HUGHES (HEAD),CLAYTON, SMEDLEY,PROCTOR(WITH HEARING AID)AND UPERDINE. IT WAS BRAND NEW WHEN I STARTED SADLEY IT IS NOW KNOCKED DOWN MADE WAY FOR LUXURY HOUSES.

AS FOR THE REST OF THE VALLEY WHEN I DRIVE THROUGH IT IS IN A STATE OF DECLINE WHAT WAS ONCE A SHOWPIECE HOUSING ESTATE, WERE VISITORS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD CAME TO VIEW IT IS BECOMING AN EYESORE WITH MANY HOUSES AND FLATS BEEN KNOCKED DOWN.

stop shouting:rolleyes:

I lived in Blackstock Drive from 1955 to 1981. When we first moved the nearest bus was at Graves Park and I used to walk there and back every day - not so bad during the summer but murder in the winter.

Used to enjoy going in the Bagshawe when it was a proper pub i.e. before Yates. Spent many happy hours in the Norton Oaks cricket pavilion drinking an excellent pint of Mansfield.

I was born onto Gaunt Close, in 1964, my grandma's immediate next door neighbours were called Dewsnap, and we lived directly behind a family called Palfreyman.

My grnadparents had been moved on there after slum clearance on Fawcett Street, Netherthorpe.

at the age of 2, I and my family moved to one of the top-floor maisonettes on Gaunt road, that was the spring of 66.

My sister arrived in the august of 66.

We lived there until 1974. I went to Constable Road School.

I remember our ceiling coming down, because one of those huge circular brick water tanks, which was situated on the roof of above us, burst, and flooded us out. (the tank was for the district heating system, which served each group of three blocks of maisonettes, by some sort of gravity feed, to the bottom block of the three, which housed the heating mechanism)

names I remember from my childhood are:

the Wells family, who lived in the flat directly under ours. children Denise and Steven

the Fox family, children Alison and Sean.

the Ludlam family, (daughter Julie)

the Steele family, children Jennifer and Mark.

I remember the Deakins, I was in the same class at school as Jacqueline, and I shared my birthday with Jacqi's mum, Brenda.

There was Nigel Potts, (same age as me) mother june, who lived on ironside road.

and I remember a family called Costello, who lived further up the road from us. My parents used to knock around with them,

I also was friends with a girl called Julie Paterson.

There was also the Swain family, Lilian, and Syd, (who were honorary uncle and aunt to me and my sister) their children were Christopher, Peter, and Kay.

I used to go to brownies with a girl in my class, Jane Freeman, I used to envy her hair sooo much, she had a dark, thick long plait, and I had thin, short, blonde hair... lol (isn't it funny what you remember?)

I have quite a few names, like Jane Marsden, who I remember and would like to name but i have to stop here as my OH is needing to get me off out and into the car... :(

PT

I went to live on Blackstock road in 1959 after being rehoused due to slum clearance from Oborne Street, Pitsmoor. The Infant/Junior school on Bankwood was not quite finished so my sister and I had to go to Arbourthorne school for a time,we moved to Middle Hay Close after a couple of years and I then went to Gleadless Valley Sec Modern but left whilst in the first year (1965) and moved to Parson Cross.

It's a long while ago now and I haven't been to that side of town for a very long time but I remember a lot of woodland and wide open spaces,it was very rural compared to Pitsmoor.

I don't have such a good memory, but some names from my early school days are:

Stanley Lake, John Spotswood,Cynthia Spafford,The Drabble family (lived next door)The Dawn Family, Peter Kitson,Anne Theaker,Tony Major,Keith Sykes,Carol Charlesworth,John Cadwallander,Carol Bland, Susan Keyworth and a few more.

What I do remember is the year I got roller skates for christmas, it was the only year we had snow on Christmas eve and on the day itself it was thick with snow, hence useless present,apart from that my memories are all good ones.

Well, isn't synchronicity weird?

a couple of days ago, I had posted the above comments, and memories about families, who lived in close proximity to me as a child.

The really strange thing was, after I had made these posts, on Tuesday, and had brought these childhood friends to mind, Mr pt and I went out for a meal, on Wednesday night.

Lo, and behold, who should walk into the restaurant, but two of the very people I had mentioned in my post, who I had not seen in donkey's years.

It was lovely to have a gossip, and catch up with them. They were in the restaurant, to celebrate the birthday of my honorary uncle (he was also given an honorable mention in the post, too!).

I love it, when something like that happens.

(not strictly Gleadless stuff, but, partly related to the above incident

A similar thing happened, about three weeks ago, now.

I had been thinking ever such a lot, on a friend of mine, another pal whom I had not managed to be in contact with for the longest time. I was stunned, when, trundling through the market, on an errand for work, I bumped into her whilst she was doing some shopping. again, it was lovely to catch up with her.

PT