Anyone from Gleadless?

Originally posted by sally_sheff

hi, i was brought up on blackstock road, went to gleadless valley school, left in 1968 - have you been on friends reunited? there aren't many from my year that have registered. why not pm me - see if we know each other? the names you mention are familiar - other names i recall are iris sanby, angela walker, ann grinham, beverly donnelly, vicky leadwood, susan hopkinson - i lved on maisonettes below john o gaunt pub. twinky, you wwill probably know me as you are same age

Beverley Donnelly, yes I remember Beverley, I used to go out with her at one point. I believe she had a brother Paul.

Originally posted by saxon51

Hi young_prr.

Yes, I remember Peter. Hung around with him a lot in early to mid 60s. Remember his mum and dad. Wonderful folks.

Went to Central Tech with Peter. Great times!:thumbsup:

Used to play in the quary up Gleadless Rd, Lees Hall Woods and Rollestone Woods. Must have covered miles together in the company of Steve Sorby and Steve Neely.

How's he doing?

Click on this link. He's in this picture (Rollestone Junior School c1962)....second from left, back row:thumbsup:

Our mate Steven Neely is second from left, front row.

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/11050162.jpg

Have PM'd you my real name.

Looked at the photo and recognised others on there. Keith Kidd Michael Gregory, Dave Rodgers etc Thought I might be on it, but not to be. Great to see them all again.

I lived there from 1958 till 1983 remember a lot of what as allready been said. I lived on Gaunt Close behind 'the Gaunt' went to Hemsworth Infant and junior school then Rowlinson. Be nice to see the real names of people posting so that we can recognise you. I am Jarvo, lol, most people up there know me by that name. Who remembers the Valley Juniors?

Originally posted by Jarvo342

I lived there from 1958 till 1983 remember a lot of what as allready been said. I lived on Gaunt Close behind 'the Gaunt' went to Hemsworth Infant and junior school then Rowlinson. Be nice to see the real names of people posting so that we can recognise you. I am Jarvo, lol, most people up there know me by that name. Who remembers the Valley Juniors?

I lived there from about 1958 too. I seem to remember that none of the schools were finished for the first year or so and I had to go to one on Woodseats until Hemsworth junior school was ready.

When i say lived from 1958 that was the year i was born. Hemsworth School was up and running when I got there.

To answer the original question, Yes I was born on Morland Close at Herdings in 1959 and lived there until 1994 so that covers the years you were questioning.

I went to Herdings Primary & Gleadless Valley Secondary, both gone, was it something I did wrong?

They used to run bus tours out to Derbyshire from Pond Street and deliberatly go through Gleadless Valley to show it off.

When my Mum & Dad (who still live there) got their new council house as they were then, my mum took my Gran up to see it on the 101 bus and she said "what do you want to live out in the wilds for?"

399Leighton did you live upstairs near the ords or downstairs ? we used to play football on the garages opposite the wyvern and when old enough went in the wyvern when horace had it, then was it john williams after horace ? did neely live on middle hay rise ? we used to live opposite the quarry on middle hay place, our family went to school with the ords.

We used to play footie with all the lads off the spotswoods i remember the crockers and tony slack. I remember them building the church and going down and mucking around on the site.

My father in law Mr Dunn was the Headmaster at Gleadless Valley up until it's closure!!

Originally posted by playman

399Leighton did you live upstairs near the ords or downstairs ? we used to play football on the garages opposite the wyvern and when old enough went in the wyvern when horace had it, then was it john williams after horace ? did neely live on middle hay rise ? we used to live opposite the quarry on middle hay place, our family went to school with the ords.

We used to play footie with all the lads off the spotswoods i remember the crockers and tony slack. I remember them building the church and going down and mucking around on the site.

Hi playman.

The Neelys did live on Middle Hay Rise as far as I can remember.:thumbsup:

I remember Philip Slack, but not Tony.

I used to muck around on the Spotswood building site with Philip Slack. Got caught once....by a one-legged nightwatchman!:(

Originally posted by shieshuk

My father in law Mr Dunn was the Headmaster at Gleadless Valley up until it's closure!!

Hey I know Mr Dunn. Was my headmaster at Valley.

Top bloke actually.

Hi thanks for all the replies

My Dad (Peter Reaney) died in 1998 so it was kind of weird but just Googled his name and this came up and thought i'd post a note but no-one would reply, thanks especially for the photo link that is really, really cool.

Cheers

Originally posted by sally_sheff

hi, i was brought up on blackstock road, went to gleadless valley school, left in 1968 - have you been on friends reunited? there aren't many from my year that have registered. why not pm me - see if we know each other? the names you mention are familiar - other names i recall are iris sanby, angela walker, ann grinham, beverly donnelly, vicky leadwood, susan hopkinson - i lved on maisonettes below john o gaunt pub. twinky, you wwill probably know me as you are same age

Hey, Angela Walker is my mum. She is still friends with Iris and Ann Swinburn if anyone remembers that name.

Angela moved to Canada and lived in the US for a while, had 2 daughters and now lives back in sheffield. Iris is happily married with 2 boys and a daughter and now lives in Treeton. Sadly her mum (Flow) passed away at xmas. Ann has got 4 daughters, if my memory serves me right. Anyone wanting to get in touch with Angela just pm me.