Anyone from Gleadless?

I worked on all those houses and flats in 1957/1958. First time they introduced piecework (for non union tradesmen), as far as I know!

My Uncle, Ken Morris lived on there and was a regular in the local. Some of the family are still there I believe.

Ring a bell?

2 hours ago, Donside 6 said:

Not sure what it's like now, we moved on there in 1958ish, so I would have been seven. We were given a brand new maisonette(with a balcony)on Gaunt rd, our back garden was fields, woods, a golf course, we spent hours looking for golf balls to sell on. The estate was still being built, no shortage of planks and nails for tree houses. Only drawback, no chippy for a good while, and not too many shops either, but there were mobile shops that came round.  Great place to grow up. I knew Philip Ridley off Lanseer we were mates all through school.

I lived across road his mom connie dad harry and brother David were great people , the moslies were next door to them 

Yeah you're right they did, they were good friends, they used to all drink in the Bagshawe. David played drums in a band called the Saracens, I remember going to watch them at the Centre Spot I think it was, they were not that bad.

18 hours ago, Donside 6 said:

Yeah you're right they did, they were good friends, they used to all drink in the Bagshawe. David played drums in a band called the Saracens, I remember going to watch them at the Centre Spot I think it was, they were not that bad.

Other lads in band were mr Tandy’s son who lived two doors down from Philip ang Barry jones was singer. I also sang with band the classics many years after them . A mate of mine was Eric boot and Garry Farrer did you know them ,Garry song with band also 

So were all the band members local to Lanseer drive?  Other than David I didn't know any other band members, they would have been at least 2/3 yrs older than me. I've always been keen on history, so I was more interested in the antique weapon collection David had  awesome! Haven't seen Phil since I moved to Manchester in 1970, did hear he was living on Charnock, but that's a long long time ago.

On 12/01/2022 at 11:10, Slinny said:

Other lads in band were mr Tandy’s son who lived two doors down from Philip ang Barry jones was singer. I also sang with band the classics many years after them . A mate of mine was Eric boot and Garry Farrer did you know them ,Garry song with band also 

Just found these posts as I was thinking about where I grew up on Orpen Drive and a couple of houses away from Garry Farrer. Apparently the house we lived in was haunted.  My mum was not a believer in stuff like that until she saw something in that house. 

10 minutes ago, katekate said:

Just found these posts as I was thinking about where I grew up on Orpen Drive and a couple of houses away from Garry Farrer. Apparently the house we lived in was haunted.  My mum was not a believer in stuff like that until she saw something in that house. 

Garry was a teddy boy like me , we both started work at orgreave pit in 1958:, I sang with a band and so did he,,we both did elvis , 

11 minutes ago, katekate said:

1 minute ago, Slinny said:

Garry was a teddy boy like me , we both started work at orgreave pit in 1958:, I sang with a band and so did he,,we both did elvis , 

Ah, I’m guessing it’s the same Garry.  His dad lived on Orpen Drive.  Garry moved to Arbourthorne then ended up exchanging with us so he was back on Orpen Drive.

11 hours ago, katekate said:

Ah, I’m guessing it’s the same Garry.  His dad lived on Orpen Drive.  Garry moved to Arbourthorne then ended up exchanging with us so he was back on Orpen Drive.

Garry had two brothers younger than him.  , he married girl called pat , twice , his dad was stocky   I came off base green moved on landseer  drive in 1970 . For 27years, grarry had a pub on neepsend lane for short time last I heard off him he was living in wales , he lived in middle of orphan drive  moved there when valley was built , 57,

Yeah I do,  I have a school football team photo with them on it, around 1965ish.

Alan pass played in the same school football team with me ernie oliver whos just passed malcolm saunders think he was a year younger