Anyone from Gleadless?

hi marie I lived on the valley with my mum dad and sister at that time we moved up there in 1961 from pitsmoor that was being demolished due to slum clearance. we lived on blackstock road aboe the horse and groom, it was such a big difference to see green grass trees in the woods some thing we never saw in pitsmoor from the fist day we go into the woods and play in the streem, and the house one of the tower blocks with our own bathroom and indoor toilet which we never had before. lots of the shops hadn't been built then there was a wooden hut on Leighton road ran by boardman and smith who later had a shop on newfield green who later on was sent to prison for molesting some of the paper boys, I have so many memories of the valley, I started writing a book about my time there but my computer completely died on me and I had to get another then lost all my work a pity but I may start it again but it was such hard work if you need any more information I might be able to help. my name steve belk my email is sudbuy1@hotmail.co.uk

hi i was in gleadless valley secondary school from 1968-1972

and i still see a few of the lads from time to time i still see such lads as glen dodds (doc) gary hopkins (gob) steve yeardley paul kelsey graham kirk tony and pete hackett glen waterfall (watts) ect and the school boys and girls my age i remember are craig bailey,les richardson,jeff newbold, kev and brian roon,colin and dave dent (god bless him) and loads more that i can mention later girls was juile gal, shirley neill,diane boyce, yvonne harris, and debbie yvonnes best friend tina and pam newbold ect

3 of my older brothers went to valley len ,ron,alec rhodes

teaches i remember was

mr burgess

mr wright

mr smith

mr green

spot

mr hughes

and mr lamb

please feel free to message me if you know any lads or lasses from them times or if you remember me or my brothers

Although a few years younger than you, I vaguely remember you and I know a lot of the people and teachers you mention, I think you knocked about (for a while) with one of the older Hopwoods?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 14:38 ----------

Hi Ray,its Ted from the Herrings, long time since I saw you, think you called in one day many years ago.

Over 40 years since I started at the club, been retired now since2001, occasionally see ex members knocking about.Hope life is treating you well.

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:05 ----------

You remember Herrings!!! I meant of course Herrings,its my age!

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:06 ----------

Sotonowl,is an old mate of yours,drop him a line

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:09 ----------

Herdings its the spell check on here keeps changing it, honest!

The legend! Hope all is well with you Ted, not seen you since the sad occasions last year. I only have good memories of you and the club, they really were happy days.

yes it raymond glad to see that you have read my post

and replied i ofton think about the good times when i was young on the herdings and gleadless estate

whos this?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 10:27 ----------

for GVOWL i cannot reply to private messeges yet i wont have forgot you i remember everyone and david dents sister agela told me many years ago that dave was on leave from the army and that he had gone to see his children and on the way back that night he crashed his car into the back of lorry i think he fell asleep at the wheel and graham kirk i see him often in the south stand at swfc on match days and hes doing great and so is garry kirk and i expect you know that poor robert passed away many years ago when he was just a young man

and whos this old friend im repling to ?????

Jammy,you forgot about me didn't you. Shocked to hear about Robert kirk and David dent,I was in the south stand myself for the Charlton game.

Give my regards to graham and Gary next time you see them

So sorry to hear about Robert, I didn't know anything about that.

Do you still consider yourself to be lungi riva?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 19:44 ----------

That should have been luigi riva, bl...y spellchecker

Hi Phil,

Down in London for a few days, got a session tomorrow at the pie and mash shop in Tower Bridge Road, always reminds me of club trip there, spoilt Tim for life,food wise.

Ted

I lived at 40 Middle Hay View from 1962-1964,went to Rollestone jnr school,which i walked to from age 8 every day,this also including crossing a main road and some minor roads,the only shop then was a round temporary building we called 'The Hut' which was on wasteland in front of the maisonettes,I remember the school very well I was in Mrs Bowlers class who seemed quite elderley then,and moved then to Mr Goldstones class,he sported a handlebar moustache and was ex military i believe(Icould be wrong).Gleadless Valley then was a different planet to what it has now become,we roamed the woods and open spaces without a care in the world out all day only returning grubby but happy before sunset,my mum hated the maisonette as we were the end one next to the chute where people disposed of their rubbish and the flies and smell in the summer were awful,and so we moved in 1964 to the brand new flats at Leverton gardens at the bottom of the moor.

No you're right Mr Goldstone was like the major in fawlty towers but taller,that tache he had was something to see,i remember we didn't get away with much with him.

Yes he was!He always had a small diamond shaped enamel badge on his lapel,blue background with a gold S in the middle,he also had it as a sticker on the back window of his car,to this day I have no idea what that was,any ideas folks? Mr Goldstone was Ok it was Mallaband the head you had to watch he always reminded me of a thin Jeremy thorpe.

Mr Roberts was the head in my time at Rollestone/Bankwood '69-'74. Mr Tate was my class teacher. Schofield was the one to avoid. Only got the blackboard ruler across my backside from him once. Happy days.

You could do with posting a link to that class photo of yours Katkin.

Chris

Yes he was!He always had a small diamond shaped enamel badge on his lapel,blue background with a gold S in the middle,he also had it as a sticker on the back window of his car,to this day I have no idea what that was,any ideas folks? Mr Goldstone was Ok it was Mallaband the head you had to watch he always reminded me of a thin Jeremy thorpe.

That badge would be the Fellowship - an ex servicemans association. I used to be a member,met int Centre Spot on Basegreen every other Tuesday IIRC Dawn.

Chris

Mr Roberts was the head in my time at Rollestone/Bankwood '69-'74. Mr Tate was my class teacher. Schofield was the one to avoid. Only got the blackboard ruler across my backside from him once. Happy days.

You could do with posting a link to that class photo of yours Katkin.

Chris

Will have to dig it out. Happy days, lol

Jammy,you forgot about me didn't you. Shocked to hear about Robert kirk and David dent,I was in the south stand myself for the Charlton game.

Give my regards to graham and Gary next time you see them

So sorry to hear about Robert, I didn't know anything about that.

Do you still consider yourself to be lungi riva?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 19:44 ----------

That should have been luigi riva, bl...y spellchecker

Oh I haven't forgot about you jim in fact I mentioned you to my misses the other said that you was the one that came down to my house to take me up to the youth club to cheer me up after my mum died when I was jut a young lad and I always remember our days of playing for moorland juniors if u remember when mr Brooke's was our manager and the day we went on bus to deep car and won 8-3 because I remember it well because I scored 2 goals and you scored 4-5 goals keep intouch pal ps you can remember Alan Clark he was just 19 when he died I used. To be in the cutters with mr and mrs Clark it was so sad for them and me

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Although a few years younger than you, I vaguely remember you and I know a lot of the people and teachers you mention, I think you knocked about (for a while) with one of the older Hopwoods?

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 14:38 ----------

The legend! Hope all is well with you Ted, not seen you since the sad occasions last year. I only have good memories of you and the club, they really were happy days.

Hi grappler yea I used to knock about with kev hopwood but bless him he died when he was about 50

Oh I haven't forgot about you jim in fact I mentioned you to my misses the other said that you was the one that came down to my house to take me up to the youth club to cheer me up after my mum died when I was jut a young lad and I always remember our days of playing for moorland juniors if u remember when mr Brooke's was our manager and the day we went on bus to deep car and won 8-3 because I remember it well because I scored 2 goals and you scored 4-5 goals keep intouch pal ps you can remember Alan Clark he was just 19 when he died I used. To be in the cutters with mr and mrs Clark it was so sad for them and me

Now fair play to you Ray, I don't think you ever called me by my nickname which I didn't particularly like anyway.

Of course I remember Mr Brookes (Tom if I remember correctly) and his son Barry. Can't remember going to Deepcar (ROFL)

Now the lad you mentioned? Did he have a nickname? Good footballer and he seemed very fit, if its the one I'm thinking of but I can't think of his nickname at the moment but it will come to me.

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:27 ----------

---------- Post added 14-05-2014 at 18:05 ----------

Hi grappler yea I used to knock about with kev hopwood but bless him he died when he was about 50

Ray, if you post 5 times I think you can send and receive private messages.

I would love to hear from you directly and get yours and other peoples email addresses, I'm dying to hear news and reminisce about the old times, I really miss all my old mates.