Anyone from Gleadless?

Hi, I'm from Gleadless. Lived here from 1962 till 1984. Went to Rollestone School as I lived on Bankwood Close head was Mallaband. Later went to Gleadless Valley. Remember "Spot" sriking terror in everyones hearts. He used to rock forwards and backward on the very edge of the stage in his batman cloak and once he fell off, I with a few others burst out laughing and got the cane. Had to weed the main entrance for a week with a fork. Got millions of happy memories and stories of people in area. Went onto Central Tech. Remmber Smithy's hut before the shops were built and the farm where medical centre is now and old barn on top of allotments before they landfilled it?

Hi Josie (Miami Now),

Have to reply to your message this way round as I am not allowed to send message direct till I have at least 5 posts. I moved to Gleadless Valley in July 1962 aged 8. At this time there was still a lot of building work going on on the estate. I remember it being a hot beautiful summer and I palled up with a guy called Gerald Walker. He had a younger brother Graham. Other names that rang a bell at this time was the Robertsons who had a son and daughter on Bankwood Close. On Bankwood Road there were the Moor twins who I believed both died, Stephen Shaw, the O'Brien brothers, Stephen Poole and his younger sister. The Ward family, sons got done later on in life for holding up the bank at Newfield Green shops, Chris French on Bankwood road and his sister Claire. I was at Bankwood school for three years till 1965 and remember getting into trouble with Mr Schofield for damaging a battery, cost my parents half a crown to replace and I protest my innocence to this day. I recall Smithy going to jail I believe for sex offences, I delivered papers for him for several years when I was 11 including your block of maisonettes and he never made a pass or did anything to me in all of that time. My name at that time was Dave Gladwin later changed to Laidlaw in 1965 and I have a younger sister Pam. My mum lived in the house on Bankwood Close up to her death 6 years ago. Hope this helps fill in some of the gaps and stirs some memories.

Hi Dave

My mum lived in Plowright Close up to her death 3years ago, i bet she knew your mum, she knew everyone around there i recall some of the names but my memory is not as good as yours, Mr Schofield was my teacher, I remember Les Boyd use to deliver papers on the block but that was when i was in Gleadless Valley School, always had a crush on him lol never knew I existed lol oh well. I moved away in the early 1970's but did go back every year to see my mum, since she passed though i havnt gone back but i will be coming in October to see some family members that still live over there, Keep in touch Josie

The Ward family, sons got done later on in life for holding up the bank at Newfield Green shops, Chris French on Bankwood road and his sister Claire.

The Ward brothers were Tony Dave and Gary all top guys,i also remember Chris French think his mother worked as a recepionist at Newfield doctors.

For Dave (wart)

I remember Graham Walker from around '67 ish.

I bumped into him one day 21 years ago at the old Jessops Hospital where his wife/girlfriend was due to give birth. When I told him I was there because my daughter was imminently due to give birth herself, he nearly had heart failure !!!

Edited by davep

For Dave (wart)

I remember Graham Walker from around '67 ish.

I bumped into him one day 21 years ago at the old Jessops Hospital where his wife/girlfriend was due to give birth. When I told him I was there because my daughter was imminently due to give birth herself, he nearly had heart failure !!!

Aye......and tha's a great-grandad now, aren't tha? :hihi::hihi:

Are Mods allowed to post such things on here ? LOL

The Ward brothers were Tony Dave and Gary all top guys,i also remember Chris French think his mother worked as a recepionist at Newfield doctors.

Did he have a sister called Claire? I vaguely remember him as a very young lad.

Are Mods allowed to post such things on here ? LOL

I'm allowed to say owt, as long as it's not rude or defamatory.......and you are a great-grandad.....it's a FACT :D:hihi::hihi:

Robo, did you ever visit the discos at the Royal Oak mid 70's, or are you too young for that ??