Anyone from Gleadless?

I was bourn at 161 White Lane Gleadless.Does White Lane still exist?

Originally posted by marie1951

they have to be some one in this forum who was living in gleadless valley from 1962 to 1970 :D

I am from Gleadless Valley but from 1990 to 2002. My mum lived there from 1953 to bout 1980 Then again from 1990 to Present. I am wanting to find a man named Kevin Medley whom she married. He now lives Conneticut, USA somewhere but don't no where. He came from a big family at Gleadless Valley. If you know him he will be around 50ish now, just any info bout him would be great. Please pm me if you know or remember him.

Originally posted by missrabbit

I am from Gleadless Valley but from 1990 to 2002. My mum lived there from 1953 to bout 1980

Your mum must have been living in a tent for 3 years because work didn't start on Gleadless Valley until 1956 :D

Originally posted by Plain Talker

It was a nice playing field, with some gorse bushes scattered around, and there was a kidney-shaped, gravelled/ hard-cored area, a sort of "hardstanding" for ball games, bike-riding etc. All I could see of the field area the other day, when we drove past, was a horrid, overgrown mess, and yobboes on trail bikes roaring about all over.

That would be the 'Bean' then, played many a game of footy on there :)

Why has no-one replied to peterdo?

Yes, White Lane still exists but it's got trams running down it! Don't know if you are old enough to remember the old trams, they're nothing like them, much more up to date and 10 times better than the buses.

Are you old enough to remember the old Azena ballroom where the Beatles once played, thats now a supermarket.

The Red Lion is still at the top of White Lane and the Old Harrow at the bottom, they are still much the same as they used to be.

Did you ever go to the library, that's been rebuilt completely and now has a medical centre at the side of it.

Both my parents were brought up in Gleadless and some of my aunts/uncles still live in the area.

My Dad's family moved to Gleadless after getting cleared out of the back to back houses down near the stokes shop (near Moorfoot). My grandma's house was brand new when she moved in and she still lives in the same house now 40 odd years on.

Hi, EXTAXMAN Thanks. We moved from there obout 1948-9 to Walkley . When we moved the only thing across road were fields, belonging to a farmer named fiddler.When I was older went to Old Harrow pub.

Hi

I was born on Constable Road in 1958 and lived there until 1967 when we moved to the Charnock area.

Hi there, just wondering whether anyone remebers Peter Reaney and his family? I'm his son and just wondered if anyone had any old stories bout him?

Originally posted by young_prr

Hi there, just wondering whether anyone remebers Peter Reaney and his family? I'm his son and just wondered if anyone had any old stories bout him?

Hi young_prr.

Yes, I remember Peter. Hung around with him a lot in early to mid 60s. Remember his mum and dad. Wonderful folks.

Went to Central Tech with Peter. Great times!:thumbsup:

Used to play in the quary up Gleadless Rd, Lees Hall Woods and Rollestone Woods. Must have covered miles together in the company of Steve Sorby and Steve Neely.

How's he doing?

Click on this link. He's in this picture (Rollestone Junior School c1962)....second from left, back row:thumbsup:

Our mate Steven Neely is second from left, front row.

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/11050162.jpg

Have PM'd you my real name.

Just read through all the string on this topic and recognise quite a few names, Stan Lake, Peter Reaney, used to go to school at Rollestone with Peter, in fact I have a photograph of him, me and Paul Fisher posing in swimming trunks 'NOT A PRETTY SIGHT'

Brought back memories when I noticed one reference to playing in the woods and the old quarry on Gleadless Hill.

I used to live on Leighton road in the maisonettes next the the Wyvern.

Horace Williams and Evelyn were good friends with my parents.

My mother still lives on Spotswood Drive.

Seem to remember that we used to have a lot snow on the valley. I lived there from about 1960 until 1979 with absence to South Africa between 1975 to 1977.

Had a cousin that lived on Gaunt Road.

Also remember Christine Goodlad and Pamela Hewitt from down by the Horse and Groom.

Keith Kidd was also a good friend and we had some great laughs. I also remeber the Sykes brothers and the Ords, Mick Pat, Tony.

Dave Wild from behind the Far Lees was also a friend.

Get back to Sheffield 3/4 times a year and the valley is sadly just does not seem the same anymore.