Anyone from Gleadless?

Originally posted by Modesty

Anyone on or near Spotswood Close 80-86, close to the Wyvern pub?

Overend Road 1978 - 1999 just over the little bridge from Spotswood!

Lived on Gaunt Dr,from 1956 to 1979. I went to Hemsworth Junior school, now demolished, then on to Rowlinson, got married at St John's, now demolished. Then moved to Mosborough.

Some of my family came from and some still live at gleadless.My gran lived in the maisonettes on ironside rd.Her name was lily white and her son lived with her called mick.Her other son lived on next block he was dennis white and his wife was eileen they went in john o gaunt a lot.Dennis has two daughters .I used to go in john o gaunt and hung around with kay crapper and her brother mark.There was another girl called diane who lived above my uncle.I use to watch kay singing along on the pub mike but never had the nerve to try it myself.There was a lovely lady called may who was a regular and often got up and sang.

I remember Kay and Mark, I was in Mark's class at school, and Kay was in the year above me when they lived at Sharrow. they lived on a little street behind the shops at Wostenhlome Rd. it's now the car park for the doctors' surgery.

PT

Thanks plain talker.I havnt seen them for years and everything has changed up there.We went down there a couple of weeks ago i just wanted to see if the gaunt was still there while iwas in the area.I go up the top end a lot to talbot school but never seem to get down other end.

dee, I had Mr PT drive me down gaunt road, about a fortnight ago. someone had told me that the maisonettes were demolished, and I wanted to see for myself.

It made me feel a bit emotional, to see the blank spaces where the maisonettes were all the way down.

At the time we drove past, there was only one of the maisonette blocks still standing, nad that was being torn down. there was nothing left of the other blocks, at all.

The maisonette block I lived in was the third from the bottom of Gaunt Road, opposite the end of Gaunt Way.

I remember what we called the "back-field", which was behind the maisonettes, between them and the wood/ golf course.

It was a nice playing field, with some gorse bushes scattered around, and there was a kidney-shaped, gravelled/ hard-cored area, a sort of "hardstanding" for ball games, bike-riding etc. All I could see of the field area the other day, when we drove past, was a horrid, overgrown mess, and yobboes on trail bikes roaring about all over.

I have memories of that hardstanding, that are a bit painful, too.

I was about 2.5/ 3 yrs old, and Jeanette (Steele) and Denise (Wells) took me on to the hardstanding area.

Some (sightly older, about 5 yrs old) boys were playing with toy cars/ fire engines.

They had built houses/ garages for the toy cars out of brick and stone.

I went to look at the cars beneath the stone, and one of the boys got mad with me. The boy picked up a half house-brick, and hit me in the face with it. He got me smack on the nose, and my nose started pouring with blood. It wasnt pleasant at the time.

As you say, dee you would not recognise the area today, it was so different, that day I went past.

PT

Originally posted by twinky1

Ah what a shame P.T, I would just love to taste another cone or sandwich to see if it tasted the same.

As a child, for a treat my mum would buy me a quarter mix of floral gums and cherry lips (quite expensive spice at the time) , I loved them, taste them now, Its like chewing plastic.

Some tastes you never forget.

Taggy's van stood at the end of Carfield Street on Sundays and sometimes, as a treat, mum would buy us a cone. I adored the raspberry sauce and always asked for a good dollop.

I can still remember the taste of it... absolutely Yummy !

Someone told me that Mr Battle.. the owner of Taggy's, took the recipe to his grave. If it's true.. what a waste !

It was an awful thing to happen to you plain talker .Kids are cruel sometimes.I have happy memories of gleadless though i didnt live on there just some of my family.I enjoyed my time in the gaunt though everyones moved off now except for my uncle.I suppose thats the thing about memories we have our share of the good and the bad.

Originally posted by dee40

It was an awful thing to happen to you plain talker .Kids are cruel sometimes.I have happy memories of gleadless though i didnt live on there just some of my family.I enjoyed my time in the gaunt though everyones moved off now except for my uncle.I suppose thats the thing about memories we have our share of the good and the bad.

Dee, you know, it's just something that happens...

Kids fight, often... I don't think the lad actually *meant* to do as much damage to me as he did... At least, I hope there was no malice in his actions!! i am wondering, now! lol)

I was left with a legacy of frequent, severe nosebleeds, which can be triggered by almost nothing

I can't remember whether the the boy had any aftermath, I just remember howling like mad, Jeanette, who'd only be about seven, herself (IIRC) taking me to her dad, as quickly as she could to be tidied up, and my nose being bloodied as heck! lol. I remember jeanette being upset that i was hurt.

I think it was just a "fit of childish temper" really.

PT

does anyone remember the old G V W M C being built ? and gleadless road being straightened out and by-passing the maisonnettes instead of going round by them, we used to play football at the bottom of gleadless road where newfield farm close overlooks now. We used to live up the hill at the side of the old quarry just above the cutting which took you up to myrtle springs, the old toll bar was at the brow of gleadless road when we moved there and the house was still standing but derelict, where the toll bar estate is now is where we used to play on the old allotment site, we used to climb up the quarry before they filled the bottom of it in and reduced the height by half.

Originally posted by playman

We lived on middle hay place and played football on the garages opposite the wyvern pub, some of the names we knocked about with were phil booker ( bucket ) stephen wood ( spud ) the anderson twins, the woods from the maisonettes the garages were under, tony slack ( tackman) the ords, websters, endersby, just a few off the top of my head most of them went to hurlfield school, we went to st pauls, the place seems so much smaller now but the memories are still large.

I knew Phill Booker when he grew up, he is a very good friend, I have known Tony Slack since he was born as his father is my cousin. The Ords father Mick goes in the Far Lees as I do, hes a nice bloke but sadly last year his son Mick died.

I also remember the alteration of Gleadless Rd. Do you rember the garden hut that was put up to sign up members for the Gleadless Valley Club? it was a pity it had to close through mis-management. I live on Spotswood Close and these Maisonettes were like heaven when we moved here in 1967, it was a time when everybody was house proud not like now with rubbish thrown everywhere, curtains never drawn back, windows never cleaned and most of the residents cannot speak unless swearing is involved. How an Estate like this can sink to such depths is beyond me.

Edited by lazarus

Yes I remember the wooden hut taking subs before the G V WMC was built, did you go in the wyvern when horace williams had it ?. do you remember johnny crocker i think that is right he lived on the slanting houses on spotswood drive and his bro was called rob.