Anyone from Gleadless?

Originally posted by twinky1

I lived next door to the Drabble's, Michael,Lawrence and Paul, Taggs ice cream van used to pull up outside their house and it was the best I ever tasted.

Yeah, remember Mick Drabble. About the same age as me. Not very popular with my parents. Forever telling me to stay away from him. Never knew why!!!:confused:

P.T

I remember paying my 3d for a cone and the icecream fell off the top, I went back to his van and he gave me another - what a star.

Markham.

I am also the same age as Mick, we went to school together for a time, either junior or senior school or perhaps both. I went to Bankwood Jnr and GVSM.

Did you know Stanley Lake?

I remember their depot was near anns road school, somewhere between gleadless road and richards road.

PT [/b]

Would you know if Taggs were still in business??

Originally posted by twinky1

I remember their depot was near anns road school, somewhere between gleadless road and richards road.

PT

Would you know if Taggs were still in business?? [/b]

I havent seen a Taggy's van since the late 1970's... I don't think that they are trading at all.

I know that the little strip of road that their depot was on is now the grassed land around Heeley City Farm

PT

Ah what a shame P.T, I would just love to taste another cone or sandwich to see if it tasted the same.

As a child, for a treat my mum would buy me a quarter mix of floral gums and cherry lips (quite expensive spice at the time) , I loved them, taste them now, Its like chewing plastic.

Some tastes you never forget.

Hi Twinky,

whereabouts on the maissonnettes were you living ? yes the woods lived on the top floor, we used to spend most of our time on the steps, I left school in 1970 so it would be around 1965-1975, when we started going in the wyvern the landlord was horace williams, there was a girl who lived at the side of the steps on the bottom 2 houses her name was vicky her dad was gorden and she had one brother. on the top with the woods were the taylors at one end and the family at the other end at the top of the steps were in the salvation army and were always practising on their instruments.

Originally posted by playman

Hi Twinky,

whereabouts on the maissonnettes were you living ? yes the woods lived on the top floor, we used to spend most of our time on the steps, I left school in 1970 so it would be around 1965-1975, when we started going in the wyvern the landlord was horace williams, there was a girl who lived at the side of the steps on the bottom 2 houses her name was vicky her dad was gorden and she had one brother. on the top with the woods were the taylors at one end and the family at the other end at the top of the steps were in the salvation army and were always practising on their instruments.

I lived at the side of the steps, the first maisonette our neighbors were called Dunkley, a brother and sister both had ginger hair but I can't remember their names.

We moved from Gleadless when I was 11 or 12 which would be 1964/5.

The family we exchanged with were called Johnson, they were friends of my parents, I don't know how long they lived there but they did move back to Parson Cross, thier kids are Michelle and Mark but will only be 37/38ish.

When I did live at Middle Hay Close my sister and our friends used to play all the time on the steps, we used sing and dance

and pretend we were on stage, we sang "we love you Beatles oh yes we do" etc; we also sat there with the lads,when they weren't playing football.

I might have left the area before you lived there......or you could be the little lad from the next block up who I thought was even better than George Harrison,he used to bang his football on the garage doors.............?????

Twinky.

hi, i was brought up on blackstock road, went to gleadless valley school, left in 1968 - have you been on friends reunited? there aren't many from my year that have registered. why not pm me - see if we know each other? the names you mention are familiar - other names i recall are iris sanby, angela walker, ann grinham, beverly donnelly, vicky leadwood, susan hopkinson - i lved on maisonettes below john o gaunt pub. twinky, you wwill probably know me as you are same age

Originally posted by sally_sheff

hi, i was brought up on blackstock road, went to gleadless valley school, left in 1968 - have you been on friends reunited? there aren't many from my year that have registered. why not pm me - see if we know each other? the names you mention are familiar - other names i recall are iris sanby, angela walker, ann grinham, beverly donnelly, vicky leadwood, susan hopkinson - i lved on maisonettes below john o gaunt pub. twinky, you wwill probably know me as you are same age

Hi Sally,

Vicky Leadwood, thats a name I remember and Iris Sandby.

Did you go to Gleadless Valley S.M, I was only there for the first year, we left to go to Parson Cross to be near my mothers sister.

I am on Friends Reunited but its for Colley S.M, I didn't register for GV as I didn't think anyone would remember me, but I'm sure if I remember names from the long and distant past they must as well.

Will PM you .

Twinky

I moved to Gleadless Valley in 1965, lived on Plowright Way until 1986, some of the people that have posted sound familiar, so hello to anyone that remembers the Harpers.

Hi SHarper.

The name Harper rings a bell.

Would any of your brood have been about 13 - 14 in 1965?

My eldest brother, Robert, would have been 9 in '65. I remember, the Bayliss's, the Jollies, John Bottomley, Ian Brady, Robert Burton, the Jarmans, the Wards, the Deakins, a chap called Craig (who had no legs), Zoe Pashley and many more...

I went to Ashleigh School, had to walk up Gleadless hill / the quarry path every morning!