Estate Agent - Reeds Rains or Winkworths

Having used winkworths (hillsborough office) I'd recommend them. They were cheapest and really helped get the sale through - I didn't actually begrudge paying their fee - now my solicitors on the other hand argh!

In terms of valuation though winkworths were the lowest - I simply told them what to market at and sold for that.

Last house we sold we used RR. Also had Blundells and Saxton Mee to give valuations. All three were pretty similar but we went with RR.

Don't think we would ever use RR again as we found their service to be pretty poor. The advert had lots of mistakes but is was nice to see that all our rooms had grown in size :D

Have heard some good reports about winkworths.

thanks for all your comments. They've been taken on board. Winkworths(hillsborough) are not looking too good at the moment and I've not even had them round yet. I'm on there mailing list and they've asked me three times now what my maximum price is. They've also phoned to ask how many bedrooms I have. Not a good start is it.

irenewilde

The company I was with started with L and ended in ancasters. Although your comment really made me laugh. I was taken in by a £500 fee for everything as they were just starting up. Just goes to show. you get what you pay for and I got taken for a ride. They agreed to waive the get out fee after I sent a complaint letter. however the directors reply made me laugh when he said the office suggested I lower the price. I didn't even complain about this and it was my suggestion to lower the price therefore annoying me more.

kdo01

I think your absolutely correct. I think I just have to choose the lesser of two evils and really hound them. I'm going to be the biggest pain in the rear for whoever takes me on, I'm putting every thing in writing and make them sign it in blood.

I put a offer in on a property with winkworth and they never passed on the cut off time for bids so i lost the property.

update: just had reeds rains on to confirm they were coming round to do valuation which I had confirmed with them one hour ago. doesn't exactly inspire confidence. :help:

Personal experiances; Sold with Winkworths and the advertising is good, plus like has been posted before they have plenty of coverage but the follow up is rubbish, you tend to find things out before them, well before they ring to inform you.

Bought of R/R no complaints, plenty of calls off them to keep us informed on the chain.

I know they weren't mentioned but in case anyone else is trying to decide on estate agents, we were very unhappy with the service provided by Haybrooks when selling. Main problem was been told they had all of our buyer's details and would send them to our solicitor the next day repeatedly, only to eventually find out they hadn't heard from them in weeks. This cost us over a month and nearly the house we were buying. In the end we had to put it back on the market and sold the next day. This was through someone knocking on the door from seeing the For Sale sign after I had taking the Sold sign down, I had asked them not to put it up in the first place until we had made any progress.

Once sold the service wasn't great either, although I think this is the same everywhere. The agent likes you to think they are in control and ensuring everything is running smoothly when actually all they are doing is ringing your solicitor every few weeks and giving you old information.

Also smaller issues such as not returning calls or calling back on the wrong number, i.e. after asking to call at work and leaving number they would call at home and waste time having to leave messages.

Hi

I'm glad to see other people have found difficulty with Winkworths and its not just me. As a perspective buyer they have made things pretty difficult for me in trying to arrange viewings and then this...

I've had a call to ask how a viewing went when I didn't even have a viewing! I have actually been trying to make an appointment to see this particular house for a number of days but it seems they failed to tell me that they had actually made me an appointment. How annoying! And rubbish for the person trying to sell.

We put in an offer for a house via Winkworths last week. When our initial offer was not accepted I asked the agent what figure the vendor would want to get the property off the market. The agent informed me we would need to go £5k over the asking price (£8k over our initial offer). After some consideration we offered this amount but with the condition that the property was taken off the market straight away. The agents called us back 10 minutes later to say our offer had been accepted and the house was no longer on the market. All seemed fine until Tuesday (3 days later) when Winkworths called to say the vendor had changed his mind and wished to continue showing people around the property! What ever happened to a gentlemens agreement?!?! I think we would be better offer following the Scottish system whereby offers and acceptance thereof are legally binding.

We are using Winkworths (Chapeltown Office) to sell our property but would not recommend them to anyone. They were only interested up to acceptance of offer stage, since then communication has been terrible, their progress centre is useless, promises of return phone calls never happen, they do not reply to letters, especially letters of complaint and we have evidence of their staff not being truthful. If you look at their web site be assured that everything you see is pure gloss and in practice doesn't happen.

we used reeds rains to sell our house in beauchief last year.

promised A QUARTER PAGE AD and did not give us one (gave excuses)

did very little for the commission "earned".

communication was very very poor.

follow up on conveyancing and buyers was non existant.

would not recommend them!

would try to sell on internet yourself if i was you.

glen