Grindleford Station Cafe

What a place. We usually do a walk from there the day after boxing day every year.

Expensive but top butties and a preservation needs putting on the place.

had a great yorkhire pudding, chips and gravy there today!!

Pints of Tea best for miles around always cheers me up after spending a couple of hours with the husband being route marched in the pouring rain.

Its an institution.

I've yet to come across anyone that has a bad word to say about it. Well actually I've come across a few (and there are a few in this thread), but none that I think are suited to be within miles of the place.

does anyone know the current opening hours? (easter hols)

I called here for breakfast a couple of years ago with a some mates before we went to do a few routes on Stoney. Didn`t see any grumpy guy but did see a few notes pinned up here and there. The breakfast was good and the café was basic which is just what is required in this location.

I have nothing but praise for any café employee (or owner) who keep others in their place and prevent them or their kids from becoming a nuisance.

Remember, this café is for outdoor types such as walkers, bikers, climbers and campers. So if you are a moaning city dweller who are just touring by car; then I say drive on to the city and eat at McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc, etc where you will be in like minded company

I called here for breakfast a couple of years ago with a some mates before we went to do a few routes on Stoney. Didn`t see any grumpy guy but did see a few notes pinned up here and there. The breakfast was good and the café was basic which is just what is required in this location.

I have nothing but praise for any café employee (or owner) who keep others in their place and prevent them or their kids from becoming a nuisance.

Remember, this café is for outdoor types such as walkers, bikers, climbers and campers. So if you are a moaning city dweller who are just touring by car; then I say drive on to the city and eat at McDonalds, KFC, Burger King etc, etc where you will be in like minded company

The cafe is now run by the son of the previous owner. He was the one

who put up the warning notices ie no unruly children, no

dogs etc. I think he died around Christmas 2007

I didn't realise the cafe was just there for 'outdoor types', I assumed it was there for anyone who had the money to purchase the goods on sale. The owner must be pleased that you have pointed this out, as this may prevent further 'city dwellers' from inconveniencing him with their unwanted trade.

Don't ask for an omlette on a Sunday. They don't do omlette's on a Sunday. Thank you.

And remember to control your children or they will be controlled for you. Thank you.

That man must spend a fortune on signs.....

I think a lot of signs are tongue in cheek stuff, i love that cafe and love the fact that it is not like a city centre cafe or chained fast food where kids can run riot screaming. Hence why i dont visit these places

I think a lot of signs are tongue in cheek stuff, i love that cafe and love the fact that it is not like a city centre cafe or chained fast food where kids can run riot screaming. Hence why i dont visit these places

I used to work near there. A lot of it wasn't tongue in cheek. He used to phone me for info quite a lot. If I phoned for a bacon sarnie, one day he'd be fine, the next he'd seem like it was way too much trouble. Saying that, sometimes I'd be a pain in the ar*e and be really specific about how I wanted things cooking. He loved that ;)

A character.

I would happily have a passport arrangement to keep unwanted city folk out of the valley all together. I bet if I walked down the middle of their road, dogs off leashes ( and Children that should be on leashes) when they were trying to go places it would annoy them too ;)

I knew Philip really well, and it was all tong and cheek. What a character, God bless him, I miss the chats we used to have.