Old (bus) Inspectors in Sheffield

Hi Malc, sorry to hear about Graham, another bus legend bites the dust. Keep the info coming. First met Bill Jarvis when I transferred to Greenland, found him to be a proper gent.

As regards Phantom's post - Tommy (Ginger) Lenton was Area Inspector for Hillsborough in late 60's early 70's. Smashing bloke, always chatting Basset's girls up. His son, who I think you refer to, was Dennis Lenton, another smashing chap, did a lot of restoration work on old cars.

Never had too much to do with Lee Norton and John Hunt.

Anyone know the where abouts of Don ( Pally) Baker, worked with Don on gas.not seen him for years.

My father use to mention deamer in the 50's. Anyone remember him?

My father use to mention deamer in the 50's. Anyone remember him?

Charlie was the chief Inspector in the driving school and a qualified examiner who took the driving and PSV tests

i have a picture of your dad at tenter street i don't know how to get it onto the sheffield forum if you give me a call i will give you the details where it is and you can see it you may have seen it but he was quite young

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 18:47 ----------

this is a message for fidlersticks

the obituary notice in the Star 17/11/15 mentions a Tony Dobson ex SYPTE---I beleve he took over the job that Chalie Deamer had

the obituary notice in the Star 17/11/15 mentions a Tony Dobson ex SYPTE---I beleve he took over the job that Chalie Deamer had

George Jones took over as Chief Inspector when Charlie Deemer retired this would be around 1966 if I recall correctly Tony was a road Inspector but he was not in the driving School but I did leave STD in 67

don't know if its been on this thread but sorry to say Stevie Bell died last year he went downhill very fast here and then gone .we are getting less and less

Tony Dobson as far as I can remember never worked in the driving school he moved up from inspecting to the Disciplinary Office followed by Pete Voice, Tony then moved over to become the manager at Rotherham until he retired, I am not 100% on that but it's the best you're getting !!!!!!!

Second time I was on the buses Alec (Lea I think) was the chief driving instructor and Mick who lived Walkley way was second in command. Mick (sorry I can't remember his surname) was a nice bloke and great instructor as was Tony who also I can't remember second name. Charlie was the boss at East Bank, Eric and Ernest inspectos, also nice blokes at Eat Bank and Pete the regulator made everything work like a dream.

Guest makapaka

My uncle was a bus inspector - a Wright

My uncle was a bus inspector - a Wright

What was his first name please and when was he on the buses? I regret that there were a lot of nice people whoe's surnames I can't remember but most were known by their first name. One inspector whos name I can't remember at all was known as Fireman Bill, not quite sure why but he would stand out of site in a doorway near the bank at the bottom of Staniforth Road waiting to catch a Prince (71) running early. I worked for a short time with one driver who was always pinching time (totally ignored the bell) and pushing the one in front. I had a good laugh at the enormouse ticking off he got from Fireman Bill over the engine cover of a back loader, trouble was I got sheeted as well.

Edited by Boginspro
spelling